Argentina's continued collapse by another Redditor in June 2023

Hello, great to read what you got to say. You’re technically saying the same thing I do! All I was trying to say; it’s an inaccurate or for some others humiliating opinion to think that you will arrive and be in the upper 1% financially! Be it inheritance or earned money, there are a lot of wealthy people in Argentina and a foreigner who has similar money to be in the 1% wouldn’t need to move to Argentina as they would be very fine back home unless they have a different kind of bond with Argentina like family, business etc. Most people move to AR to have a better life for less. I know a lady who has $1500/month coming in and she is very happy to be in BsAs. Another guy getting $2000/month rent from his Ohio property and he is happy here and living a good life. But they’re nowhere near the %1 and should they live the same life back home they wouldn’t be in AR.

Theres still a lot of variation in level of wealth in the 1% itself. And 1% could be 5%. $1500-2000 pm s little for an American living in America but how many Argentines have that level of income?The point is most expats on this forum live a relatively privileged life in BA. That's mostly why they are here.

many of my argentine colleagues are looking for internal positions outside argentina. quite a few have already transferred and relocated.

Hello, great to read what you got to say. You’re technically saying the same thing I do! All I was trying to say; it’s an inaccurate or for some others humiliating opinion to think that you will arrive and be in the upper 1% financially! Be it inheritance or earned money, there are a lot of wealthy people in Argentina and a foreigner who has similar money to be in the 1% wouldn’t need to move to Argentina as they would be very fine back home unless they have a different kind of bond with Argentina like family, business etc. Most people move to AR to have a better life for less. I know a lady who has $1500/month coming in and she is very happy to be in BsAs. Another guy getting $2000/month rent from his Ohio property and he is happy here and living a good life. But they’re nowhere near the %1 and should they live the same life back home they wouldn’t be in AR.
Yes, I think we're both on the same page. Definitely lots of wealthy here. That's for sure. It's evident on how packed the restaurants and bars are no matter how bad the economy is.

I think most of vast majority of the ex-pats from other countries are NOT wealthy back in their home country. After all, those wealthy people don't care as much about cost of living or the price of things. They are insulated. The ex-pats I notice here in BA for the most part (and for the past 20+ years of working and living here) have been people that are retired living on pensions or social security, divorcees that might have previously had more disposable income but now have to cut back. Or people just trying to have a good quality of life without breaking the bank.

Just as many expats have no idea how bad it is for many Argentines. Probably the same % have no idea how good it is for many many locals here.

Back