Argentina's Falklands obsession thrives 40 years after war

The obsession seems stronger now than it was back in the early years of the 21st century.

In any case, it contrasts with say, West Germany´s attitude towards the Allies after WW2.
Yes, some people still had bad feelings, but considering how much Germany lost during
and after WW2, they were fast to let bygones be bygones.

The obsession seems stronger now than it was back in the early years of the 21st century.

In any case, it contrasts with say, West Germany´s attitude towards the Allies after WW2.
Yes, some people still had bad feelings, but considering how much Germany lost during
and after WW2, they were fast to let bygones be bygones.
...and perhaps considering how much the Allies gave Germany after the war? I don't think the two are really comparable.

It feeds in to Peronist revanchism; you never have to worry about the present or the future if you can always look backwards, whether it was to a time when the Falklands were controlled by Argentina, or GDP was ahead of Australia.

...and perhaps considering how much the Allies gave Germany after the war? I don't think the two are really comparable.
Yes, the Marshall Plan was a huge help to Germany. All things considered, I still think Germany was
quite fast to let bygones be bygones. Maybe Japan would be a better example.

Yes, the Marshall Plan was a huge help to Germany. All things considered, I still think Germany was
quite fast to let bygones be bygones. Maybe Japan would be a better example.
I lived in Germany for quite some time (15+ years) in the American Occupation Zone (which didn't exist as a political entity anymore of course, but there were still still US troops stationed in major cities when I arrived there). I guess you're right, on the surface, at least, bygones were bygones, my similarly-aged colleagues were very much accepting of western values and attitudes and open to different cultures. Out in the country, particularly to the east of Munich, attitudes were different.

Even so, intolerance, ingratitude, and self-righteousness bubble up occasionally, the wheelchair-bound Mr. Schaeuble's attempted dumping of Greece in its financial crisis is a perfect example. Greece was absolutely plundered during the war, and its central bank reserves transferred to Berlin. It also didn't have a Marshall plan. Some concession to history would have been nice. Instead the IMF stabilized Greece, rather than the ECB, and learned lessons which were subsequently applied to Argentina, providing at least a tenuous link to this forum.

But I digress, sorry. Nothing to do with the Malvinas. I'll get my coat now.

"Learn the culture" I should think. This is one small but continuing part.
I agree...I just thought that you were going to wander down a pro-Maggie Thatcher, pro-British lane, which I'm not here for...

Back