Argentina's New Boeing 757 Presidential Jet Arrives In Style

those pilots should be fired. but they won't be because they work for the president

Ah, pilots!
None the less, it says they had permission from the tower, so I don't see why there are calls for them to be punished. If they'd done it without permission of ATC, that would be a very different story.

if you listen to the ATC audio, they were acting like entitled assholes pushing the tower to get them to do what they wanted. insisting to go against what was the current runway alignment due to weather, plus the unsafe maneuver at the end for no reason

The Argentinian airspace is not short of big egos and lack of basic airmanship. They basically fly like they drive.

The Argentinian airspace is not short of big egos and lack of basic airmanship. They basically fly like they drive.

HMS Sheffield
HMS Ardent
HMS Coventry
MV Atlantic Conveyor
RFA Sir Galahad
LCU F4 (of HMS Fearless)

and 17 others damaged in some degree

if you listen to the ATC audio, they were acting like entitled assholes pushing the tower to get them to do what they wanted. insisting to go against what was the current runway alignment due to weather, plus the unsafe maneuver at the end for no reason

Oh, no! A pilot behaved like an arrogant asshole?!? I am deeply, deeply shocked. This has never happened before, never in the history of the world!

I grew up in San Diego, when Miramar belonged to the USN, and their "Top Gun" school was there. I have known plenty of brown shoe navy, and the word arrogant was made for them, God bless 'em, one and all :)

HMS Sheffield
HMS Ardent
HMS Coventry
MV Atlantic Conveyor
RFA Sir Galahad
LCU F4 (of HMS Fearless)

and 17 others damaged in some degree

Hmm no quite seeing your point here Possum 🙃. What does this have to do with flying in Argentina in 2023 in peace times in civilian airspace?
Again, the Argentinian airspace has a disproportionate amount of big egos and poor airmanship. Variations on the scenario from that cringeworthy ATC transcript are common from San Fernando to Ituzaingó: some entitled ego will decide they want to show off or that they are in a hurry and everyone else has to take extra risks and make up for their lack of airmanship/situational awareness.
Again just like they drive. And yep the PPL or CPL exam in Argentina is just about as much of a joke as the drivers licence.

Again, the Argentinian airspace has a disproportionate amount of big egos and poor airmanship. Variations on the scenario from that cringeworthy ATC transcript are common from San Fernando to Ituzaingó: some entitled ego will decide they want to show off or that they are in a hurry and everyone else has to take extra risks and make up for their lack of airmanship/situational awareness.
Again just like they drive. And yep the PPL or CPL exam in Argentina is just about as much of a joke as the drivers licence.
If you are speaking from first-hand experience as a pilot, I won't argue with you.

30 years ago, I was at Lake Havasu spending a romantic weekend with a then-GF, and there was a guy in a little Cessna with a float kit who said he had flown up from Jamaica, and he was giving rides over the lake for cash. We went up with him, me in the front seat and the GF in the back. He'd been up with some photographers earlier and still had the right-side door off. The GF was a camera buff, (back when smart phones didn't quite exist yet, and people still used actual cameras), and she kept leaning out the right side to take photos. Three times he asked me to tell her "not to go outside", (his English was very creative). The fourth time, he glanced back to make sure she was strapped in good, and then banked hard to the right. It is, of course, impossible that he had the wing vertical, but it sure felt like it. She didn't scream or anything, but she did stop leaning out of the plane. This was an experience that has shaped my ideas on how to deal with American women ever since.

A few minutes later, he flew under the approach path to the local airport. When the tower called him to protest, he told them, "oh, don't worry about it". Three decades later, I still get chuckle out of remembering that relatively short flight of 30 minutes or so. The guy was a lunatic.

He was white, but he talked just like the big black guy in that old 7-Up commercial about "the un-cola".

So Argentine lol. I can imagine the pilot had a couple of shirt buttons undone, one foot on the centre console.. Was Vicky La Griega in the cabin?

Back