Argentine bank account - without DNI

Trabano said:
I am opening an account with HSBC and was told it will be fairly easy for me to get a CUIL from ANSES with just my passport and the two copies of birth certificates. However, I understand that anything can happen and will just hope for the best and prepare for the worst. We shall see come Monday. I will post the results.

Good luck.

When I went to buy my car, the car dealership told me I needed a CUIL to buy the car. They told me it would be real easy. When I got to ANSES, I waited in line to get to the person who vetted the people who would be able to get a number to wait to be served. The person told me it was impossible for me to get a CUIL without a DNI. She wouldn't even let me pass.

She told me what I needed was a CDI, which was very easy to get, but I had to go to a different office. I called the car dealership to verify and they apologized for the confusion and said that yes, a CDI would do for buying a car.

It's possible a CDI would serve at a bank - maybe the people at the banks are like the people at the dealership and they didn't tell me or know the whole story.

It's one thing I've found here in Buenos Aires - things can be very difficult to get done because often people don't know the whole story at the place where you are. It's not necessarily their fault, they just don't know because of course they mostly deal with citizens or residents and simply haven't been trained what to do with foreigners.

But once you find all the right little things that you need to do, things can be as easy here to get done as they are in other countries (such as the States, where I am from).

ElQueso said:
Good luck.

When I went to buy my car, the car dealership told me I needed a CUIL to buy the car. They told me it would be real easy. When I got to ANSES, I waited in line to get to the person who vetted the people who would be able to get a number to wait to be served. The person told me it was impossible for me to get a CUIL without a DNI. She wouldn't even let me pass.

She told me what I needed was a CDI, which was very easy to get, but I had to go to a different office. I called the car dealership to verify and they apologized for the confusion and said that yes, a CDI would do for buying a car.

It's possible a CDI would serve at a bank - maybe the people at the banks are like the people at the dealership and they didn't tell me or know the whole story.

It's one thing I've found here in Buenos Aires - things can be very difficult to get done because often people don't know the whole story at the place where you are. It's not necessarily their fault, they just don't know because of course they mostly deal with citizens or residents and simply haven't been trained what to do with foreigners.

But once you find all the right little things that you need to do, things can be as easy here to get done as they are in other countries (such as the States, where I am from).

This makes a lot more sense. While the woman sounded confident and helpful, she did mention that I would need either the CDI or CUIL. I wont even bother trying to get the CUIL then and go straight for the CDI. Gracias!

ElQueso said:
Good luck.

What you were told is not exactly correct as we have CUIL's without DNIs. From what I understand is if you are not an employee you can't get a CUIL with out a DNI*. It seems without being an employee what you need is a CUIT.

* (Don't know if you can get a CUIL without employment but with a DNI)

mini said:
What you were told is not exactly correct as we have CUIL's without DNIs. From what I understand is if you are not an employee you can't get a CUIL with out a DNI*. It seems without being an employee what you need is a CUIT.

I'm sure you're right mini - it's not the DNI precisely but almost certainly at least a work visa is required - some sort of official residency that allows one to work here. They aren't going to give CUILs to a tourist.

The CUITs, as I understand it, are for companies, sole proprietor businesses or people who have registered as Monotributo.

Both CUILs and CUITs are numbers assigned for tax collection purposes where the CDI is assigned to foreigners without work status to be able to do things like buy cars, property, etc.

mini said:

Meant to reply to this earlier: A CUIL is like a SSN in the States. It's a tax ID number and you have to have one to work (legally), but you don't have to have a job to get one.

My brother-in-law (MercoSur resident) got a CUIL from his temporary residency papers (before he had his DNI) but before he had a job.

BTW - another note on bank accounts.

I was unable to open a checking account. I have a savings account. Previously, I was unable to open even the savings account without the residency process.

Steveinbsas - did you open a checking account or a savings account? With your facturas, were you proving your residency, or was it part of a credit-check basically?

As my account rep at Galicia told me, one needs good credit to actually open a checking account here. A savings account does not have checks and only the money that's available in the account can be withdrawn via card.

A checking account (as I understood, by law) requires a $1000 peso overdraft protection and they will only give that to people with good credit.

Of course, really I don't care about writing checks, so as long as I have a debit card to access my money and that works as good as the debit card in a checking account, I'm happy.

ElQueso said:
Meant to reply to this earlier: A CUIL is like a SSN in the States. It's a tax ID number and you have to have one to work (legally), but you don't have to have a job to get one.

My brother-in-law (MercoSur resident) got a CUIL from his temporary residency papers (before he had his DNI) but before he had a job.

Yes. Of course. That was silly of me. I have a CUIL but no DNI & no job. Duh! I answered my own question! :D

mini said:
Yes. Of course. That was silly of me. I have a CUIL but no DNI & no job. Duh! I answered my own question! :D

But doesn't your husband have a work visa and your "resident" visa is tied to his, thereby making it possible for you to get a CUIL? I doubt that many others (especially the OP) are in the same situation as you.

steveinbsas said:
Good plan!

But do you have any facturas in your name?

Just in case the bank asks for them....

Unfortunately right now I do not. Much like you I own the apartment but didn't bother with putting the facturas in my name. I am sure the bank rep would've mentioned it considering my extremely poor Castellano and very "Jankee" face.

As for the CDI, I was talking with some Portenas today and was told that it takes about a month for you to receive it. Is that true? Can they give me something temporary in order to open an account or must I continue using the ATM, or what I like to call, Banco de Disco.

Back