Argentine bank account - without DNI

steveinbsas said:
But doesn't your husband have a work visa and your "resident" visa is tied to his, thereby making it possible for you to get a CUIL? I doubt that many others (especially the OP) are in the same situation as you.

Yes. I never said nor implied anyone else was in my situation nor has anyone stated their residency status in this thread. I replied to ElQueso that what the person told him was not correct. Then in the same thread I asked a silly question which I already knew the answer to and I was clarifying that.

After living in BA over year, we do not have DNIs and have yet to need one do anything.

Trabano said:
Unfortunately right now I do not. Much like you I own the apartment but didn't bother with putting the facturas in my name. I am sure the bank rep would've mentioned it considering my extremely poor Castellano and very "Jankee" face.

As for the CDI, I was talking with some Portenas today and was told that it takes about a month for you to receive it. Is that true? Can they give me something temporary in order to open an account or must I continue using the ATM, or what I like to call, Banco de Disco.

Portenas have little reason to know much about the CDI. It is exclusively for foreigners and not so many of us need one. If you go to the AFIP office an hour before they open and wait outside with the completed form in hand, you will probably get one of the first turnos. The office I went to on Campos had different sectors for different functions and I was the first applying for a CDI. I was in and out in less then 30 minutes, but that was several years ago.

And I was turned down by every bank I asked if I could open an account with a CDI.

Trabano said:
As for the CDI, I was talking with some Portenas today and was told that it takes about a month for you to receive it. Is that true? Can they give me something temporary in order to open an account or must I continue using the ATM, or what I like to call, Banco de Disco.

A year and a half ago I got my CDI in about an hour. I was able to get it with a factura in my name from Hospital Aleman, but short of a factura, all you should need is proof of domocilio from the local police station (or have they changed that recently? Someone told me that its now a civil office that does that.)

ElQueso said:
A year and a half ago I got my CDI in about an hour. I was able to get it with a factura in my name from Hospital Aleman, but short of a factura, all you should need is proof of domocilio from the local police station (or have they changed that recently? Someone told me that its now a civil office that does that.)

I don't think facturas are necessary (or even accepted) for the CDI...just the certificado de domicilo, which is still issued at the comisaria that has jurisdiction. I just went to mine and asked. It is a good idea to have a factura (or temporary lease) to show them when requesting the certificado, but they don't always ask to see one.

steveinbsas said:
I don't think facturas are necessary (or even accepted) for the CDI...just the certificado de domicilo, which is still issued at the comisaria that has jurisdiction. I just went to mine and asked. It is a good idea to have a factura (or temporary lease) to show them when requesting the certificado, but they don't always ask to see one.

Well, unless they changed something in the last year, they accepted my factura from HA. I'm not saying it was necessary, just that I didn't have to go to the local police station, request the certificado, wait for the rest of the day and maybe the next for someone to show up and verify that I was in the place where I said I lived (whether I really lived there or not!).

In fact, a factura with your name and address seems to me as good or better than a certificado de domocilio, considering all you have to do is be wherever you say your address is when someone arrives there to verify it for the certificado. A helpful friend to let you stay in his/her apartment for a day would do that.

But having said all that, verify with the people at the office first what they will require!

Ok, so I finally finished the process and the only thing I have to do now is go to the bank and open an account. Here's what I did:

First started at Anses, they gave me the necessary paperwork and told me to head to AFIP.
AFIP gave me another paper and told me to go to my local police station.
I went to the police station and requested the certificado de domocilio, payed AR$10, and waited the next day of the police officer to arrive and then he gave me more paperwork. (For me, they did not ask for a factura. I agree with steveinbsas though, bring one just in case!)
Then I returned to AFIP, waited less than half an hour, signed the two forms given to me by ANSES, waited about 10 more minutes for my paperwork to be processed, and then was given a copy of the AFIP paperwork with my CDI handwritten at the top so I could open a bank account.

Jumping into the thread here - What is it with all the acronyms? If I want to live in Bs. As. and have my money in the US or off-shore and plan on taking some part time work to ward off boredom and supplement the play money, what hoops does one have to jump through? I do not want to deal with the Argentine version of IRS if possible. Thanks

I was finally able to open a bank account today:

- applied for and receieved certificado de domocilio (it was left with the portero)
- followed the steps outlined by steveinbsas for getting the CDI. Was in and out of AFIP in less than 10 minutes!

Then I went to various banks with CDI / Passport / certificado de domocilio / rent contract & utility bills (in my girlfriends name) and was told:

Rio Santander - you can only open an account with DNI.
HSBC - I needed the utlity bills in my name
Itau - I have no idea what happened, something along the lines of "No, not with only a tourist visa".
BNP - I got an account, the rent contract although not in my name was enough of a supporting document for them. Success!

Joew said:

- applied for and receieved certificado de domocilio (it was left with the portero)
- followed the steps outlined by steveinbsas for getting the CDI. Was in and out of AFIP in less than 10 minutes!

Then I went to various banks with CDI / Passport / certificado de domocilio / rent contract & utility bills (in my girlfriends name) and was told:

Itau - I have no idea what happened, something along the lines of "No, not with only a tourist visa".
BNP - I got an account, the rent contract although not in my name was enough of a supporting document for them. Success!

Couldn't open an account with HSBC? Odd. I didn't have any of the utility bills in my name either. I guess it's who you talk to. I went to the HSBC bank on Santa Fe. Not only that, but the man also gave me advice on how to transfer money. I can do it from my bank in the US, have it be less than U$D2500 and say it's 'to help my family out' and not have to pay any fee at all. Not even to convert it into Pesos.

Joew said:

I agree with Trabano though... Go back tomorrow, ask someone else & your answers will be different! ;)

But you have it done now so: Congrats! :D

Back