Argentine Citizen Moving To Argentina With Customs Concerns

sab15

Registered
Hi all,

I am planning on moving to Buenos Aires in May and I would like to get some advise regarding getting taxed when going through customs. Here is my situation – I am an Argentine citizen that now has a DNI, but I do not have a passport yet. I obviously want to minimize the likelihood of a customs officer pulling me over and taxing my personal items. So, I figure there are 3 possibilities on how to enter at the airport:

1. Wait on the Argentine line and show my DNI with my US passport

2. Wait on the US line (that's what I saw it labeled last year; I don't know if it was just labeled US because the flight was from the US) and show my DNI with my US passport

3. Wait on the US line and just show my US passport, and don't even bother to show my DNI. For this one I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do that. Is it the law that Argentines must identify themselves as citizens, and if they don't they can get in trouble possibly later on? I know that they will only stamp my passport for 90 days. That's fine, I can easily get an Argentine passport soon after arriving (I know I will need one to leave the country if leaving past 90 days).

Basically, I am not bringing down everything and the kitchen sink in this flight, but I will need to bring a lot of stuff. I'm primarily worried about my electronics. I have a new laptop, my HTC phone, I may buy a tablet, and possibly I may want to bring down my printer and monitor which are probably around 5 years old. Also, a bunch of old books.

I had been at the consulate and they told me they could have gotten me a certificado de residencia which would have exempt me of import duties, but now it's too late for that, because for that I need an Argentine passport, and to get that (an emergency one), since it's my first time, they need to do a security check in BA which will take 90 – 150 days. Later, I had spoken to someone else there by phone and they said just by showing my DNI they should not tax me. I'm really confused now. Like, I thought Argentines would be more likely to be taxed then non-Argentines? On the other hand, I heard if you are moving, your personal items will be exempt.

Any guidance in this area will be much appreciated. I want to enter honestly and legally, and want to know what to expect. Also, when I'm on the plane and fill out the form, should I fill out the Argentine one or the US one. I guess that would also be dependent on the answer to #3 above. In either case, do I have to declare my personal items? It just seems ridiculous that I would have to. And if so, what of them? Is there some time factor involved, like items purchased in the last 6 months?

Ok. Thanks a lot for listening.

Steven

Enter the line for Argentines with your DNI and they'll ask for your US passport but can't charge you if you have a DNI.

Enter the line for Argentines with your DNI and they'll ask for your US passport but can't charge you if you have a DNI.

Thanks. When you say "can't charge you" are you referring to the reciprocation fee of $140, or customs duties?

Immigration and customs are two different areas. First you go through passport control, then you go through customs.

When you go through passport control, you need to show both: your USA passport and your DNI. There is no need to pay the entrance fee, since you are a resident.

What documents you show at the customs is a different story. There is no separate line for Argentines. If you look as a foreigner, they are not likely to stop you at all. If they do stop you and you show them your USA passport without an Argentine visa, this will probably work as a good conversation starter :).

If you are a national living abroad until now, you can introduce all your household belongings within a certain period of time without paying import taxes. That is the Law.
What you need to research is how are you supposed to declare that you're moving back to Argentina and that the rest of your belongings will follow shortly.

My situation is the same as the OP, but I have more lead time and lots of research done. Curious as why you are moving back, if you want to disclose your reason, if not, of course I understand. It feels hood knowing I'm not the only one wanting to go back

hi. im not moving back. just moving to. :). i never lived there before. perhaps people like me get treated differently. my dad was argentine. im a gringo who got citizenship. :)

hi. im not moving back. just moving to. :). i never lived there before. perhaps people like me get treated differently. my dad was argentine. im a gringo who got citizenship. :)

You really are complicating things you know? hahaha. I don't think anyone will try to tax you anything because even if you have new stuffs, they are for personal use, not to resell. Afip has a website.. let me paste it below: http://www.afip.gov.ar/turismo/

Now, in there it says:

"Argentinos que retornan al país luego de haber residido más de UN (1) año y menos de DOS (2) años en el exterior"
Efectos personales y del hogar, nuevos o usados, destinados al uso del beneficiario o de su grupo familiar: Importación libre de impuestos"

(in case you dont speak spanish, it basically says Argentinians that return to the country after living abroad between one year and less of two, personal efects, new or used, destinated to personal use or family group: import free of taxes. There is another entry for more than 2 years, same thing)

Now, I believe that in papers, you are an Argentinian, not a foreign citizen who got permanent residence. As your father is from Argentina, you are one too. So.. if you were living outside the country for more than one year, which you were, you can bring your personal items with you.

Just in case, print that page and show it to the officer if anyone looks for a bribe, but I don't believe anyone will expose like that.

Cheers

I can't believe nobody's mentioned this. Customs is not in the same place is immigrations. You have to go through the duty free shop, the people at Aduana don't know which migraciones line you stood in and they probably don't care. If they're looking at anybody, they're looking at the people with 4 huge suitcases, a tv box, and 2 strollers sans babies

I can't believe nobody's mentioned this. Customs is not in the same place is immigrations. You have to go through the duty free shop, the people at Aduana don't know which migraciones line you stood in and they probably don't care. If they're looking at anybody, they're looking at the people with 4 huge suitcases, a tv box, and 2 strollers sans babies

Or the last guy in line. I was last in line once. It wasn't pretty.

Back