Argentine Citizenship

jimdepalermo

Registered
Hi folks, just got word that I've been approved as a permanent resident.

Now I'm thinking about going for full citizenship. Has anyone done it? Any advice on how and why/why not?

FOR, I'm thinking that since I live here and pay taxes, I should be able to vote as well. An Argentine passport could be useful for travel in South America (and perhaps yanqui-unfriendly destinations).
[Help me here - what else?]

AGAINST, I assume it's another bureaucratic nightmare.
[Help me here - what else?]

I could well be wrong here (and it probably depends on what your other country of citizenship is) but I think that if you are dual citizen and live in one country then you lose the right to consular assistance from the other country where you have nationality. i.e. if you get arrested then your other government can't intervene as you are a citizen of Argentina etc. Not sure how much of an issue this is in practice.

PS as a permanent resident you can already vote in local (although not national) elections I think. You will need to register

I have heard that the applying for perm residency after 3rd yr on a visa rentista is extended to 4 yrs , can anyone confirm this? And is an appointment needed?

I am planning living in argentina put i would like to know what i need to apply for a perm residency and for a work visa.........thanks lily64

Lily64 said:
I am planning living in argentina put i would like to know what i need to apply for a perm residency and for a work visa.........thanks lily64

If you can find a job that "qualifies" for a work visa you can apply for temporary residency. After three years it may be possible to receive permanent residency...(we hope that is the case, at least for now).

http://www.mininterior.gov.ar/migraciones/radicacion_e_mercosur.asp

It also might be possible to become a citizen after "residing" in Argentina for two years, but I am uncertain of the conditions or if that is really an option. One of the posts in the ARCA blog touches on the subject:

http://expat-argentina.blogspot.com/...tizenship.html

Back