Argentine expats raving and ranting - where?

John.St

Registered
Can you guide me to sites where Argentine expats are complaining about conditions in the foreign country they live in?

Need some "counterweight" to show Argentinos that expats in Argentina aren't the only ones.

John.St said:
Can you guide me to sites where Argentine expats are complaining about conditions in the foreign country they live in?

Need some "counterweight" to show Argentinos that expats in Argentina aren't the only ones.

I think most expats in Argentina are from the US and Canada..at least those who are members here...and they are the ones who complain the most about life in Argentina.

If Argentines in the US or Canada aren't complaining about life in those countries it will only prove how much better it is for them to live as expats there than for those of us from Cananda and the US to live as expats here (though I have no complaints since I moved out of the zone of chaos/aka Capital Federal).

El Duderino said:
I really doubt such a specialized site exists.
I am not talking about a "specialized site" but expats sites, which Argentinos abroad frequent - more or less like BAexpats for foreigners in Argentina, sites where the complaints generally are a result of "this place is not like home". (e.g. taxes, the food isn't, the clothes aren't, they are not as polite/friendly, can you believe they do so and so, ...)

You'll probably find such groups on Facebook. Type "Argentinos en ____" in the FB search box and fill the blank with a city or country.

steveinbsas said:
If Argentines in the US or Canada aren't complaining about life in those countries it will only prove how much better it is for them to live as expats there than for those of us from Cananda and the US to live as expats here

I hope you don't believe what you wrote.

Expats from first-world countries are treated very well in Argentina...even enjoying privileges. Argentines would go out of their way to try help them.
As an Argentine in first-world countires you are just considered as another second-class citizen.

It really pisses me off, but it is like that. Have seen it/experienced first hand.

Amargo, I'm a US citizen who is a permanent resident of Argentina. I have yet to receive any special treatment or "privileges" since moving to BA more than seven years ago. Why would I be entitled to such treatment? On the other hand, I have still in the US many Argentine friends who have lived there for decades, some taking citizenship, some not, but all of them continue to receive the same treatment that I, a born and bred Yankee, received when I lived there. So, if they are considered second-class citizens in the US, per your assessment, then I was a second-class citizen, for we were (and continue to be) treated equally. If these Argentines you speak of are perhaps illegal residents, then you're right, they will not be treated as equals - and I wouldn't expect to be treated any differently if I were illegal in Argentina.

Amargo said:
Expats from first-world countries are treated very well in Argentina...even enjoying privileges. Argentines would go out of their way to try help them.

What Argentina are you living in?? People here go out of their way to try to rip me off, whether it is a taxi driver who assumes I don't know where I am going so he take a looooong detour to get to my location, or the local carniceria or verduleria ripping us off by adding a few pesos to everything I buy.

I have NEVER been treated well here. I've been disrespected. I've gotten dirty looks on the bus or subway because of my English, or because of my accent when I use my Spanish.

Argentines who go to the US or Canada won't be treated as second class citizens. They will be treated just like everyone else is treated there. I aspire to be treated as a second class citizen in Argentina, because it is a step above how I am treated now.

Amargo said:
I hope you don't believe what you wrote.

As an Argentine in first-world countires you are just considered as another second-class citizen.

It really pisses me off, but it is like that. Have seen it/experienced first hand.

I do believe it. But I also belive it is true for expat Argentines in the US or Canada if they are there legally.

If they are not then their lives will probably not be better. ;)

And I will happily acknowledge it is much better for a Canadian or AMERICAN to live in Argentina with an "irregular" immigrant status than for an Argentine to live as an "illegal alien" in the US. :cool:

I daresay there are far more Argentines who want to live in the US than there are AMERICANS who want to live in Argentina...and there are almost eight times as many Americans as there are Argentines. :p

If all of the Argentiones who wanted to move to the US could do so (legally) perhaps it would be necessary to change the name of the country from Argentina to Peruboliviaguay. :D

Back