Argentine expats raving and ranting - where?

In my experience, Argentines complained as though they were expats when on VACATION in a foreign country. I experienced this in January. They just wanted everything like back home.

I saw the following multiple times: Trying to order personal pizzas with just mozzarella or other off-menu items at the street food places, buying wine from the alcohol stand and then complaining when it's hot and not as good as in Argentina (duh, we're outside at the beach in COLOMBIA, try a beer or a cocktail, please), picking at the included beach lunch of fish and coconut rice on a tour and wrinkling their noses, making rude comments loudly ("no voy a comer esa mierda, boludo) in earshot of vendors selling arepas and other local food, the list goes on. We met one cool guy from Neuquén who was traveling alone and actually into trying new things, but he was the only one I witnessed like that.

Americans aren't the only ones who are capable of acting like assholes when traveling or expatting. Just sayin'. And why does everyone thing Americans and Canadians do all the complaining in BA and no one mentions the Europeans or Australians? My point is, I guess, that all countries have their fair share of whiners and I think it's hilarious that the OP needs to find a web site to prove that Argentines might complain when living abroad.

An Argie told me that it's not the complaint so much as who it's coming from.
If one Argie complains about something here, it's OK...they just can't rack it if a foreigner does it (especially one doing it in English).
But aren't most Argies foreigners too essentially? Spanish, Italian, German, and assorted other. So I don't get what the big deal is... we let off some steam here on baexpats, and in that bit of bitching we find common ground and open dialogue to consider different experiences and opinions. No biggy.

As someone put it: If you deign to speak English on the colectivo or in a public place, you are branded and all eyes (opinions, resentment, and sometimes hate) are all on you. Would it be the same if you were speaking with a Gallego accent, or Italian? God forbid you should voice an opinion, then you'd really get it!

Here's a typical bus ride to work in Montreal: Busdriver is having a conversation in Quebecois French with a Arab, the guy sitting next to you is talking with his girlfriend in Cantonese as he studies a book in English. British woman is complaining about an ad on the bus, then translating it to her friend in Russian. A Jamaican kid is scribbling graffiti on the back of the chair in from of him in semi-French /Patois... NO ONE CARES! this is a regular day and folks just go about their business without such a problem. The one thing they all have in common is that it's -40 degrees Celsius outside and they got to walk 3 blocks fast before the snot freezes in their noses. Don't even get me started on the multi-ethnic stew that was my high school.

I've lived here 8 years, I pay taxes, I make pesos, my kid was born here and have to deal with language issues, I eat empanadas and bad pizza, and I can do a mean asado just like anyone else. I have opinions and motivations just like anyone else and I will NOT be silenced just because some uber-patriot is looking for a patsy to blame his misfortunes on.
I deal with it, but the difference is after I am done bitching; I change my reality so I CAN live with what is in front of me. And I go wtih a smile :D

My Argentine husband complained about The States every single day for the 10 years he was there. He didn't see anything so great about it at all. And now that we've moved to Argentina where he thought things were so great...he complains about here ALMOST every day.. lol. Nothing is going to be perfect to everyone. We just have to make the most out of where we are. Or..do something about it.

Reactions: tez
The Argentinians are very similar to the Whinging poms or the Whinging Americans . They complain and complain and this an be tiring when doiing business here as they are look always at the negative and not the positive.

Other South Americans ( except Chileans) are much more chilled and are more courteous in the business sense.

I was living in NYC, Annapolis and Upstate NY during 2009 and I complained a lot there. You want some, I have a ton.

gpop said:
OOOHH BOY!
HAHA, ok, I don't have a site...just a simple anecdote of a trip my family took to Dominican Republic last year.
We went to a resort in Samana that was full of Canadians, Argentine, and a smattering of other Europeans. I would overhear people all day long in either English or Spanish.
The Canadians were generally pleased and amiable, and most likely half-drunk at any given time of the day... didn't hear any complaints though. The Europeans, much the same but didn't drink nearly as much. The Argentines complained about not having "the kind of facturas" that they were used to, they didn't like the meat, that (despite the HUGE buffet and Restaurants) they couldn't find what they wanted to eat. The pizza was too spicy, they couldn't understand how people could eat breakfast sausage in the morning, the coffee was too strong, they didn't like the towels, blah blah blah... even taking shots at the Canadians with the condescending "...son de otro mundo..." remarks.
I've worked with people of Latin American nationality that would cringe when they heard that I was going to get married with an Argentine woman. One woman I knew in Montreal told me point-blank "Argentinos are arrogant, they complain too much"

hehehe oh man I just have to comment that I laughed out loud when I read this, because I can just imagine it so clearly!

I think the whole complaining bit that expats do all over the world is also often a camaraderie thing, in that we sort of bond over the things we miss about home. In BA, most of us are here by choice, and clearly if things were so bad here we wouldn't stay, but it can still be fun or nostalgic to get together and complain, let out all the frustrations!

In reference to there being less complaints coming from people who "move up" to first world places (I hate using that term, but I struggle to find an alternative term), perhaps they complain less because they are there less by choice and more for need... (not to imply most Argentinians in the US are there scraping by waiting tables...).

Bajo_cero2 said:
I was living in NYC, Annapolis and Upstate NY during 2009 and I complained a lot there. You want some, I have a ton.

Not surprised by this at all. I used to hate it when we went to visit my brother at his college in Rochester. The only thing I like about New York State is New York City. He thought because he was heading to a blue state that he'd be in some liberal paradise, but no, he was bored out of his mind and dying to leave by the end. The thing about the U.S., though, is that it's massive. I would rather drop dead than live in certain parts I've visited, even though I've pretty much decided that I do want to end up stateside.

Don said:
and I think it's hilarious that the OP needs to find a web site to prove that Argentines might complain when living abroad.
I guess I should have told the background for my question in the first post.

Una amiga Argentina asked me "why do expats in Argentina always complain?" and I told her that Argentino expats undoubtedly complained - more or less - about the same as expats around the world always complain about, e.g. why can't I buy this-or-that I am used to back home? - why do people in this country behave so-and-so instead of the way we do?

I then decided to try and find expats sites where Argentino expats complain, to show her that they (Arg expats) do complain as much as all other expats - we are almost expected to :D

gpop said:
An Argie told me that it's not the complaint so much as who it's coming from.
If one Argie complains about something here, it's OK...they just can't rack it if a foreigner does it (especially one doing it in English).
But aren't most Argies foreigners too essentially? Spanish, Italian, German, and assorted other. So I don't get what the big deal is... we let off some steam here on baexpats, and in that bit of bitching we find common ground and open dialogue to consider different experiences and opinions. No biggy.

As someone put it: If you deign to speak English on the colectivo or in a public place, you are branded and all eyes (opinions, resentment, and sometimes hate) are all on you. Would it be the same if you were speaking with a Gallego accent, or Italian? God forbid you should voice an opinion, then you'd really get it!

I've lived here 8 years, I pay taxes, I make pesos, my kid was born here and have to deal with language issues, I eat empanadas and bad pizza, and I can do a mean asado just like anyone else. I have opinions and motivations just like anyone else and I will NOT be silenced just because some uber-patriot is looking for a patsy to blame his misfortunes on.
I deal with it, but the difference is after I am done bitching; I change my reality so I CAN live with what is in front of me. And I go wtih a smile :D

Was going to say something along those lines, but you saved me the rant... so thanks for nicing it up geezer. I've been here 22 years and I ain't complaining neither.

In my opinion we foreigners are treated in Argentina sometimes better than the Argentines themselves. I'll stick to that. Of course not many expats will acknowledge it, as it is better/easier to play the victim.
Anyways, in countless ocassions I was waived through with a friendly smile just because I was extranjero. That includes customs, some trouble I had with police (not traffic related), etc.

On the other hand I have WITNESSED it, Argentines abroad have to first demonstrate they are not illegals (saw it in the US, on the street, saw it in Spain). Even when they do that - and it really does not matter the stupid speech 'everyone is equal and has the same rights' and all that politically correct crap - they remain second class citizens. Try to get a job as a legal Argentine in Europe or the US. Try to get a loan from a bank. Would love to give much more details with personal information and all, but I am afraid those affected won't agree to allow me post that here.

Being a foreigner makes you for most Argentines kind of interesting - at least until they really get to know you, kind of social credit. Being an Argentine in many developed countries makes you just suspect/dangerous. Similar to what happens in Argentina with Peruvians, etc.

Back