Argentine was sooo mean to me! Is this normal?

I have had a different experience here. People have been always extremely nice to us. For me the problem is more that people would never told you that something is not possible and keep telling you that they will do it when they won't. Probably this is a culture thing but sometimes it gets under my skin.
People at the Argentine consulate in Paris were very nice and they went a long way to accomodate our interview for the visa. We went there with a baby and a toddler and they took good care of them.
Good luck with the visa.

As an Argentinian born British and Brazilian citizen, I can tell you that you will find incredible rude people in almost all embassies or consulates of Latin American countries, especially if you are not Latin American. It´s a reciprocity thing, something we Latin Americans call "complejo de país bananero". It´s very difficult to explain but most Latin Americans know they have this reaction to foreigners. Latin Americans are mostly treated badly in the rest of the world. They are usually considered inferior and so they react this way when people of "developed" countries need their help. It all boils down to personal experiences these rude people have had in the past. Then there is the case of the civil servant or the public service employee. Those treat EVERYONE badly unless they sympathize for some mysterious reason. My mother and I (she is British but raised in Argentina) have a special "government employee" face that always works when we need public services. It´s a "oh-I´m-so-helpless-and-need-your-invaluable-help-because-you-are-a-god" face, something you learn at a young age, believe me.

Before I moved to Buenos Aires, I'd read how rude and aloof the people are. All ego, all attitude. But after a year of living here, my experience is just the opposite. The people of Buenos Aires are warm and wonderful if you give them the chance.

I smile and people smile back. Little kindnesses are appreciated and reciprocated. Maybe they need to be careful, to protect themselves from harsh realities. But if you give them a chance to know you, you will be welcomed and rewarded.

Be a good person and you will find good people here. Many people.

of course !! it is normal!!
look up to Antonio Gasalla " flora la empleada publica" and see how the actor plays the lady who works in a public office in Argentina!
i am not able to post links! but youtube is full of it! it so funny!
besos

I have dealt with the Argentine consulate in San Francisco, Migrations, the Ministry of Security, the Ministry of the Interior and the Ministry of Education in the process of obtaining, and renewing my visa and residency here in Buenos Aires, and the answer is some people are genuinely patient and helpful, and some people are needlessly horrible and rude. The same can be said about society at large. In the city people tend to be busier and a little guarded from having their time and attention demanded constantly (for example, if you ever feel ignored when you try to ask a question on the street, try to remember that this is a common way for people to try to rob you: first they get your attention, and once you have stopped they pull a knife. But if you keep walking they will often just wait for some other person to walk by and stop. And then there are just people who want to sell you something, or ask for coins, or give you a paper you don't want, etc. It's easier just to keep walking than to say no) but there are still plenty of helpful individuals to be found. I would say that speaking spanish, well or badly, will open up the city to you. It is much easier to make friends, get the lady at the desk to be nice to you, get the bus driver to be helpful, etc. If you don't make the effort to speak the language, only few argentines are likely to initiate a friendship or go out of their way to help you. That doesn't mean you need to be fluent, but trying goes a long way.

Definitely the ARG consulate in the UK is useless. The consul (Mr Rojo) is nice but the admin staff is just plain useless, stupid and rude... and no, it's not the way you approach them. Nor my lack of understanding info on websites. It is... the Argentine civil servant attitude. You will find it along the way: customs (the worst), immigration (they were actually better but I downrate them because of their lengthy stupid procedures.. and no, they don't check the paperwork..). Forget about the police. Not to mention those who will take advantage of foreigners (some remis, most fletes,...).
ARS/USD is a massive issue. We are losing a lot of money.
Inflation is painfully high.
Investments are raining over the rest of South America but the K umbrella is making it difficult for investors.
We love Argentina, the people, the weather, the way of life, the family bonds and the business potential. However, in 6 months we will review our situation and decide whether to move to Colombia.

Customer service in Argentina generally stinks (for the most part.) So from that aspect, yes, it's normal. :)

As for people being rude... I haven't really found that to be the case. There are certain people with a bad attitude or that are having a bad day, and you'll run into them every so often, but for the most part the people are okay.

One thing I have found is that they tend to be rather impatient on the phone and it's hard to get a word in edgewise if you're not quick and forceful. Everything is fast, to the point, and sometimes I feel like they're not even listening... but if you talk fast and get straight to it, they respond okay. They remind me a bit of New Yorkers. ;)

My experience with the people in Argentina has been one of warmth and a great deal of kindness. I came to Argentina almost two years ago from Iowa. I live in Salta, which is in the northwest part of Argentina, so I can't speak with experience about the other regions but my experience with people from those other regions has been just as positive.

The public services are slow, inefficient, and expect lines almost where ever you go, but the people were still kind and considerate. Also, even places where you might expect English to be spoken (such as Immigration, International airports, customs, etc.) it probably isn't so either know your Spanish, or arrange to be with someone who does.
I am constantly "interviewed" in a very kind way everyday. I guess I have the look of someone diferent. People want to know where I am from, what I do, and always ask if I like it here.

I did not come here on a temporary basis, but to live permanently. It took over a year and a half (and many, many trips) to finalize the immigration process, but my status now is a permanent resident complete with DNI card and have been offered many opportunities for employment. I am currently an English instructor at the National University of Salta. Even the students are extremely kind and respectful.

When people ask me to compare the States with Argentina, I tell them almost everything is different, and then go through list. But I always make sure to tell them of one great similarity. The kindness and hearts of most the people in the States is like the kindness and hearts of the people here.

I trust you met one of the bad apples. I think you will find this one of the more gentle places.

I have been down here for about ten months. I grew up being bilingual due to one parent being from Venezuela. After visiting Venezuela several times and growing up with that cultre, I was in total shock coming to Buenos Aires. I expected a warm, friendly, sounds weird to say, but Latino culture. That's not what I found in Capital.

First I will point out that there is a HUGE difference between Porteños and the rest of the Argentinos. In my option the majority of Porteños are rude, apathetic, unkind, etc. to outsiders. Within their family, friends, lovers, they are different. However, as I do not fall into any of these catgetories, I feel it is very hard to truly befriend a Porteño. I have actually heard some Porteños say that they don't need new friends because they already have them. People will run into you on the street, push by you on the subte or bus, without even a thought. I ALWAYS say "permiso". I am not a fan of Porteños at all & I have found that almost every other Argentino (non-porteño) feels the same way.

The rest of Arentinos are a different story. One of my best friends is from Corrientes and she is one of the nicest people I've ever met!! I also have made really good friends from Provincia de Bs As, La Plata, Entre Rios, just to name a few places. I have also traveled around a lot of Argentina and everywhere that I go the people are nice, caring, helpful, etc. Out of all my travels, I would have to say that the Salteños win for being the nicest. They were absolute sweethearts & it was a pleasure to be among them.

All my opinions aside, I would definitely recommend still coming. Several people have shared their thoughts so you know what you are getting into. It will still be an amazing experience regardless and I'm sure you will find some lovable Argentinos throughout your time. Although, I can almost guarantee if you meet a random Argentine who is really nice, they are not from capital ;).

scottlyon said:
Perhaps there are loads of stresses working at an Argentinian embassy!?

Yes, like not getting your salary paid.

Anyway, don't worry -- the Argentine embassy workers not only treat foreigners badly, they treat Argentines badly as well. My brother-in-law and his wife live in Spain. They were travelling to Belgium and their passports got stolen on the train*

Happened on a thursday, contacted the embassy, embassy told them to first fill out a police report, they did, went to the embassy, oh now their told to get it translated, so they had to hustle around to get it done, friday they went back embassy closed (they had been told that they would be attended), they call the emergency line. Emergency line didn't attend. Finally on saturday someone answered the emergency line and told them that they couldn't do anything for them, no one would attend them until tuesday because it was a holiday on monday (in Argentina, not in Belgium) .... Anyway in the end it was a whole back and forth and they didn't manage to get any help until the weds. And of course the whole time everyone who attended them had a cara de culo (Ass-Face, fantastic expression here, because you really do see them all the time)

The funny thing is that the embassies promise to get you an emergency passport in 24 hrs... hmm more like 24 hrs after they finally decide to help you out.

*for a couple of Portenos they really got careless, she was reading a magazine, he was playing games on his phone, and their passports were sitting in their backpack on the shelf above them, the train stopped at a station and some guy got off, taking the backpack and they never even noticed until they got to their stop!

Back