Argentines are wimps when it comes to weather

El Duderino

Registered
It's 25C today (77F) and people at work are complaining "25 grados, mucho calor!!!" They just turned on the air conditioning. Unbelievable.

I remember a few months ago when it was around 10C (50F) and people were walking around the city with their faces covered up, due to the cold.

What's the deal?

El Duderino said:
It's 25C today (77F) and people at work are complaining "25 grados, mucho calor!!!" They just turned on the air conditioning. Unbelievable.

I remember a few months ago when it was around 10C (50F) and people were walking around the city with their faces covered up, due to the cold.

What's the deal?

Who said true weather suffering made for a better nation or gave dibs on who can complain or not? My friend lived in Bahrain until this year and recounted various takes of 5 degree temperature shifts being greeted with howls of winter, winter!! I myself grew up in Ireland watching the miserable wind haggard faces of my fellow countrymen battling the cold and would swap easy outdoor living any day for that inconsistent, plan for nothing drizzle that is my wonderful national weather.
So Argentineans complain that it's too hot or too cold..they are secretly boasting because they have FABULOUS weather and hoping to annoy us expats..and clearly they do in some cases.
That is not to say that in the first years here I did not laugh at the ski jackets and even a balaclava on the bus in April whilst I still wore a t-shirt but my bones aclimatized and now I moan miserably when I visit the UK..poor buggers them!

fifs2 said:
So Argentineans complain that it's too hot or too cold..they are secretly boasting because they have FABULOUS weather and hoping to annoy us expats..and clearly they do in some cases.

Yeah, that's it. They're wearing scarfs covering their faces in 10C weather in hopes they come across an expat.

fifs2 said:
That is not to say that in the first years here I did not laugh at the ski jackets and even a balaclava on the bus in April whilst I still wore a t-shirt

I only wore a thin jacket this winter to stop the locals constantly warning me that I would catch my death of cold.

it's only natural they act like that because they DO have lovely weather. they are only used to the LOVELY weather.
in fact the weather here will be among the few things i missed here when i leave.

My wife cracks me up, she's from Chaco and if its below 22 she's freezing yet if its over 25 is hotter than Hell! Mind you, the high temperatures up here in the north in January and February tend to be 40 - 45 with 60% or more humidity. I can't figure out why she can't more easily deal with anything warmer than 25.

This fits so perfectly to what I saw today!
I walked out to the bus stop around 1 30; the sun was high above head and all the Argentinians were standing underneath the building to catch the shade and get out of the sun. Is this not the most ironic country? I love the irony to be honest, it cracks me up!

My mother cracked up laughing when she saw a girl wearing a parka with earmuffs as we walked the streets in jeans and long-sleeved t-shirts back in the early fall. And we're from a city where it never snows. I thought I was wimpy about the cold--I had no idea.

I actually like the wimpiness. Is it a cloudy day? Well it's a great day to eat outside or go to the park, since you'll get the best al fresco table or spot by the lake. "Hot" or "cold" or even partly cloudy means less people on the streets, which means more space in general in the city for those of us who can handle it. Everyone else is hiding in their apartments, suffering...ha.

Back