Argentines protest Milei's economic shock therapy

Thank you for posting this. It seems to me that you have identified a potential entrepreneurial opportunity.

I would be grateful if you would continue to freely post your observations, preferably with links/documentation/evidence.
I don't really need another entrepreneural opportunity, especially not in such unpredictable market, but I'm really wondering. You are asking me to provide evidence, while for the post I was referring to you just believe? Just go to mercado libre and check fridges, it's really easy to catch me lying.

I don't really need another entrepreneural opportunity, especially not in such unpredictable market, but I'm really wondering. You are asking me to provide evidence, while for the post I was referring to you just believe? Just go to mercado libre and check fridges, it's really easy to catch me lying.

The wise get rich while the bitter people bitch.

Didn't see you providing links how everything is getting cheaper, but OK...

This is the fridge I have, 1150 usd (dólar blue year ago):

Now around 3000 usd.

Samsung S23 ultra mid November 850 usd (200 cheaper than in Europe), now:

Now almost 2000 usd. And I chose cheaper store than is available to me in Provincia.

Samsung a54 on amazon España 350, here above 700k pesos.

Regarding laptops I won't make research now, because it's more complicated, because in Argentina old, custom made stuff is sold, that is impossible to find anywhere else. Genuine stuff is x2.

Regarding prices of food, especially fruits and vegetables are out of proportion, grew in Argentina by underpaid workers. Bananas close to 2 usd kilo, apples 1,8 usd... Olive oil 15 usd liter, milk is one dólar now.

Few things, especially services are still cheap, but talking about how the market is already adjusting is bad taste. Argentina is expensive to me, even though I don't care about paying eu prices, to ones earning in pesos most of the stuff is unreachable at the moment, and before they could afford it.

Argentina has never been more expensive imho than now . I have kept a close track on prices since 2002 and prices for food in dollars are outrageous now and scarily in just 6 months will be double in dollars . We are heading to be like Luanda Angola the most expensive city of the planet where 80 percent live in poverty but a elite class are filthy rich . I remember that icecream was for 2 kilos in many places less than 900 pesos or 6 dollars at that time . Now 2 kilos is close to 20 dollars in good healderias like rapanui. Parillas are now a luxury outing with average steak prices around 15000 pesos . This is 15 dollars . In 2003 the same steak was maximum 3 dollars . I like many long term expats are thinking what to do now as the cost of living is becoming too much !

The wise get rich while the bitter people bitch.
I answered to the guy, claiming prices are going down. I don't see that, also posted some examples. Now I'm waiting to be corrected.

The wise... I would not be that generous for entrepreneurs in Argentina...

I understand the sentiment, but I think the necessary motivational factors are as old as life itself on earth. 3.5 billion year of life striving for something better.

Of course incentives -or the lack thereof- matter. Argentines have lived with severely distorted incentives for so long that it affects the entire culture. Collectivism destroys the energy of life itself. But even after the long winter, life returns.

I am an old man, my time is past. It won't come back for someone like me, but each new generation can start anew.

Prices are definitely going up, I closed on my apartment 2 weeks ago and had to pick up appliances this week. That being said, I picked up the minimum used crap necessary for now, because depending on how this new DNU about goods for personal use being duty free gets implemented I may just drive to Brazil and pick up all my nice appliances from my house I'm selling there. I did buy a new air conditioner for $600. For 2 days after Christmas, prices dropped a few hundred bucks, now they're back up and the cheapest air conditioners you can find all seem to be over $900.

It'll sort itself out eventually, chaotic price movements happen in any market when distortions are removed. I imagine the people that used to smuggle soy across the river to Paraguay will soon be in the business of smuggling air conditioners back the other way.

I answered to the guy, claiming prices are going down. I don't see that, also posted some examples. Now I'm waiting to be corrected.

Ok Mikic007, obviously you got it completely wrong that you calling me delusional in your previous post. The links you have given are the links of products that are already expensive. You were saying that everything getting more expensive and I asked for the links and you provided links of a product that’s expensive (not getting more expensive) comparing them to Spain. That’s not what I’m saying or we are talking about! I said prices started to go down and you said “no, prices are going up!” We are not comparing prices here and in Europe. Now here I want to explain the situation to anyone reading this post and cares about the situation in Argentina. No intensions to bore anyone but want to clarify things as an on and off Porteno since 1996 with an Argentine wife and someone who’s also in the business importing and exporting. I think I know what I’m doing well.
When you import or export anything to/from Argentina, unless it’s a small one that fits in to a luggage, it has to be done through the customs. Like in any country. But to do that; government ruled that the money should come into the bank account of the AR manufacturer/wholesaler so that they can export. Otherwise they can’t. And guess what; your dollars, euros, pounds are converted to pesos at the official rate which doubles the prices therefore not that ideal to import from Argentina. Same thing happened to import goods in to Argentina as well. To import those laptops and cellphones they have to send the money at the official exchange rate. This the extortionate price difference. Caputo recently announced that “anyone can import anything freely, punto” This will have direct effect on the prices. Many imported goods also had duties imposed on top of the official rate. Like the laptops and mobile phones. Why do you think there are no foreign brands here? This will change with the new exchange rate system and abolishing the crazy taxes. Go to Carilo, Pinamar and check those wheelie vendors selling ladies beach dresses for US$100. Even a lot more expensive than the European beaches. Local brands are the same price as American ones. There’s a slight possibility that the prices may not go down but in that case the income will increase hence the affordability but this shouldn’t happen in the near future. Years ago a tennis lesson was US$30 now it’s $7. Peso was equal to a dollar but the central bank tried to keep it like that and the bubble did burst. The difference; Milei wants to get rid of them all and make the dollar the official currency therefore no intervention of the central bank needed.

Prices are definitely going up, I closed on my apartment 2 weeks ago and had to pick up appliances this week. That being said, I picked up the minimum used crap necessary for now, because depending on how this new DNU about goods for personal use being duty free gets implemented I may just drive to Brazil and pick up all my nice appliances from my house I'm selling there. I did buy a new air conditioner for $600. For 2 days after Christmas, prices dropped a few hundred bucks, now they're back up and the cheapest air conditioners you can find all seem to be over $900.

It'll sort itself out eventually, chaotic price movements happen in any market when distortions are removed. I imagine the people that used to smuggle soy across the river to Paraguay will soon be in the business of smuggling air conditioners back the other way.
Exactly! With all those incentives and Ciudad del Este around the corner, who’d pay those expensive prices in BsAs? Prices will come down.

Exactly! With all those incentives and Ciudad del Este around the corner, who’d pay those expensive prices in BsAs? Prices will come down.
The only thing I did not agree with you is, that prices are going down already. For things I had interest for lately, are still going up (although I have to admit some are so high, that I doubt they even have a product, or that maybe they really don't want to sell it).

Those prices will go down, without doubt, when remains to be seen.

All prices i stated were equal European prices or even lower, using dolar blue at the time (November and before). Now they are doubled or tripled.

Since you are in the business, I guess you follow and see way more than me, and you might notice a trend that I will notice later, when it hits mainstream. I also think this trend should follow (or at least I hope to be so).

I would say the only sensible thing to do now is to wait with any purchase, that can wait. Most of people don't have any other chance anyway.

Back