Argentines protest Milei's economic shock therapy

I only made half way through, but they start by saying they know nothing about Argentina, keep calling the country "Argentine" , ponder after Milei says there isn't any money "why don't they just print money like the US" , then said "oh their economy is like Venezuela, it's all tied to international oil prices"

Lmao , yes strangely accurate
Strange, I didn't get it like this at all. Some fun comments yes, a bit too much about oil, but truth is, Argentina is crazy rich country if you compare it to many developed countries. And Argentina is depending heavily on international raw material and food prices, we can't denie that. Later they also approve of not printing too much money and so on.

They are quite neutral, don't attack Milei much, certainly less than most of the world media and actually approve some of his ideas.

The most accurate is of course that the poor will pay the most, that private sector is not held accountable and that when IMF is cheering you, this might not be best for people.

It's some informative comedy show I've never heard of, has probably it's target group and certainly isn't intended to be very serious. But for me still a nice watch.

I like milei as a person, less as executive power. Some have it opposite, can't stand him, but like his ideas and have high hopes for his reign. But in my opinion no one can agree with all his mindset and what he is saying, and this doesn't mean you are against change in Argentina..

And Argentina is depending heavily on international raw material and food prices, we can't denie that
Very true

The most accurate is of course that the poor will pay the most, that private sector is not held accountable and that when IMF is cheering you, this might not be best for people.

Yes I agree again, that the poor will pay the most. They always do. They suffered the most with the horrible inflation these past years and will continue to suffer with the measures to tame it.

Curious how do you view the comment the private sector won't be held accountable? What does that mean exactly?

I think the jury is still out on Milei we have to wait 12 to 18 months to see how these reforms will play out. i don't think we'll have the full picture by then, but at least a clue.

Very true

Yes I agree again, that the poor will pay the most. They always do. They suffered the most with the horrible inflation these past years and will continue to suffer with the measures to tame it.

Curious how do you view the comment the private sector won't be held accountable? What does that mean exactly?

I think the jury is still out on Milei we have to wait 12 to 18 months to see how these reforms will play out. i don't think we'll have the full picture by then, but at least a clue.
Regarding private sector not held accountable is exactly what Milei said. Probably means not to higher the taxes on profits and such, while taxing people more, laxing of employment laws, less regulations of private sector etc. Some is understandable and necessary, some isn't.

If we see last few weeks, companies immediately passed the burden of devaluation on the people, first with basically doubling the prices even if there wasn't any economic reason to do so, second by salaries not going up as much and probably won't reach the real impact anytime soon. And is about the power here, small local business cannot keep up with price increase, while bigger and powerful ones, that can afford even to suspend activities, can do whatever. And this is further crumbling economy.

I am far from being an expert, tried to know more a decade ago and got lost in all the useless data they are operating here, and lack of relevant data. We should probably distinguish between big international companies, big Argentinian companies, middle sized ones and small business, and between sectors as well. Some of them are very profitable, some barely floating and is not necessary connected as how they are run.

Anyway, if rich are getting richer, which is usual case in any crises, and certainly is true in Argentina now as well, they should be part of the rebuild. At the end of the day, they are earning because they have consumers, they have access to infrastructure and employees. If regular salaried people are paying more, companies and people with passive income should as well, if not more.

About Milei I don't think even 4 years is enough for such a radical change he is planning. The main question is, when it will be better for average voter. You can do wonderful, have all the stats in your favor, but people get very soon tired being poor, especially those who still think themselves clase media, and there is plenty of those. It is easy to be pragmatic and realistic from high ground, harder if you are directly affected. And here I didn't include opposition, which will not be idle. And syndicates, we can't forget those, they pose even bigger threat to Milei than opposition and they are completely excluded from any accountability...

Argentina has by and large been a highly regulated economy with high taxes - that's what has created the current environment we are in with a few large companies making high profits. Many times it's those companies that are supporting the regulations - regulatory capture. It insulates themselves from competition and only they can deal with it. Like you say they can suspend operations temporarily, have an army of lawyers, influence over the government, accountants, etc.

Argentina has by and large been a highly regulated economy with high taxes - that's what has created the current environment we are in with a few large companies making high profits. Many times it's those companies that are supporting the regulations - regulatory capture. It insulates themselves from competition and only they can deal with it. Like you say they can suspend operations temporarily, have an army of lawyers, influence over the government, accountants, etc.
Coming from EU, it is hard to impress me with taxes anywhere in Americas, but I agree they are uneven, subject to corruption, and regulation is making everything muddy. Still, loosing regulations should be done carefully, reckless deregulation will just make trouble after trouble and Argentina is lacking money. Before money will come in, a lot of it will go out. It was my first move after Macri, getting as much out as was possible, and I am no one. This will happen at first, so there will be even less money available, and is very uncertain when money will start to come in, especially if Milei is counting on private investments.

All what is happening is way above my understanding of economy, not to mention solutions. And I am pretty sure is above most of Argentinians, or expats at this point. So I just debate, express my wishful thinking, hoping not everything will burn down in the process to normalization. I saw more and less successful countries, living through 4 digits inflation, seeing million inflation up close. But I have less faith in Argentina to get through, and it isn't because of social programs..

Argentines protesters that can hardly make ends meet, when asked why they are protesting , expressed that they are incensed because, under the new decree, Foreigners will be able to buy more than 1000 Hectares...!

Argentines protesters that can hardly make ends meet, when asked why they are protesting , expressed that they are incensed because, under the new decree, Foreigners will be able to buy more than 1000 Hectares...!
"La Patria no se vende." The only thing missing is the fascist salute.
Regardless of the xenophobia towards foreign investors, who would only need to live in Argentina for two years without even investing a penny to no longer be a "foreigner", it certainly doesn't stop their union and political leaders buying properties in Florida and buying their own slice of someone else's "Patria"...

"La Patria no se vende." The only thing missing is the fascist salute.
Regardless of the xenophobia towards foreign investors, who would only need to live in Argentina for two years without even investing a penny to no longer be a "foreigner", it certainly doesn't stop their union and political leaders buying properties in Florida and buying their own slice of someone else's "Patria"...
True, but I believe the law is aimed at foreign investors buying large chunks of land.
A case in point is British billionaire Joe Ted Lewis, who bought Lago Escondido and all surrounding land, and promptly closed the existing public access road.

Back