Argentines protest Milei's economic shock therapy

True, but I believe the law is aimed at foreign investors buying large chunks of land.
A case in point is British billionaire Joe Ted Lewis, who bought Lago Escondido and all surrounding land, and promptly closed the existing public access road.

And subsequently subverting local politicians and jurists.

True, but I believe the law is aimed at foreign investors buying large chunks of land.
A case in point is British billionaire Joe Ted Lewis, who bought Lago Escondido and all surrounding land, and promptly closed the existing public access road.

It may be aimed at them, but it serves no practical purpose. Even less so in a modern context. The law that restricts foreign land ownership ("zonas de seguridad") is from 1944 - made by a military dictatorship. The "guise" of the law is for national security reasons, however the context of the law is pure nationalism, and only real beneficiaries of this law were/ are wealthy Argentines who would otherwise enjoy less competition to acquire such lands at lower prices.

To again prove how ridiculous these fascist laws are, aside from the technicality of if the capital used to acquire it was Argentine sourced or not, if Joe Ted Lewis would live at his estancia for just two years or get married to an Argentine he would no longer but British, but an Argentine like you and me in the eyes of Argentine law (and then it would be no different to Cristina or Maximo cutting off public access roads on their Patagonian lands). For that reason, it is impossible to objectively see the logic in this kind of law being used to prevent foreigners buying land since Argentine citizenship is so easy to come by and Argentina itself is fundamentally a state of immigrants.

Last edited:
Thanks for this ! For God´s sake, I wish some one with the power would free the hostages from BOTH sides and free Gaza so that those people will survive. Imagine people, still alive, buried under rubble for days !

Thanks for this ! For God´s sake, I wish some one with the power would free the hostages from BOTH sides and free Gaza so that those people will survive. Imagine people, still alive, buried under rubble for days !
Sorry, I cannot edit this now. Please ignore my comments.

Not meat and chicken, but we had been looking for exterior paint for two weeks, getting one exorbitant quote after another when suddenly one supplier sent a revised quote 30% lower than the previous one, with the “explanation” that prices had stabilised since the election 🙄 Basically all the suppliers were hoarding, to see if they could make a killing later on.
As per the revised quote; prices has started to decrease and will keep like that for a while as the peso is traded at the actual rate and businesses can import freely. Before we were at the mercy of the local producers but now you can import from abroad and that’s lowering the prices. I personally witnessed; previously wholesale prices of many products in Argentina were more expensive than the retail prices in the US or Europe of a higher quality products. Argentina has started to practice free market economy finally. Same will happen with the clothing soon.

As per the revised quote; prices has started to decrease and will keep like that for a while as the peso is traded at the actual rate and businesses can import freely. Before we were at the mercy of the local producers but now you can import from abroad and that’s lowering the prices. I personally witnessed; previously wholesale prices of many products in Argentina were more expensive than the retail prices in the US or Europe of a higher quality products. Argentina has started to practice free market economy finally. Same will happen with the clothing soon.
I would like to live in your world. In my paralela, everything is absurdly more expensive than weeks ago, with some exceptions, that are only 50% more expensive. Most of prices of every day products are more expensive than in most European countries, while quality doesn't meet the cheapest products there. We won't even go to IT or electrodomésticos, where prices literally exploded. Cheapest fridge costs 500k, solid one 3 million+.

I think you are delusional. I didn't expect prices to drop, but also didn't expect the phone, that before cost 300 usd now cost 700, while in usa is below 150 usd... Of course these prices will have to drop, because I don't see noone able to afford them. But at the moment is cheaper to buy ticket to USA and buy computer there, no joke.

I would like to live in your world. In my paralela, everything is absurdly more expensive than weeks ago, with some exceptions, that are only 50% more expensive. Most of prices of every day products are more expensive than in most European countries, while quality doesn't meet the cheapest products there. We won't even go to IT or electrodomésticos, where prices literally exploded. Cheapest fridge costs 500k, solid one 3 million+.

I think you are delusional. I didn't expect prices to drop, but also didn't expect the phone, that before cost 300 usd now cost 700, while in usa is below 150 usd... Of course these prices will have to drop, because I don't see noone able to afford them. But at the moment is cheaper to buy ticket to USA and buy computer there, no joke.
Can you please give some examples with some links maybe?

Thank you for posting this. It seems to me that you have identified a potential entrepreneurial opportunity.

I would be grateful if you would continue to freely post your observations, preferably with links/documentation/evidence.

The fire law is a new and controversial law pushed by Maximo and the kirchnerismo. There was a lot written about it at the time. If you're really interested, you can search about the law and the controversy.

As I recall, this part was extremely controversial (taken from fire law link in Quilombo's DNI thread):

Zonas incendiadas - Prohibiciones​

Bosques nativos o implantados - Áreas naturales protegidas - Humedales

En caso de incendios provocados o accidentales que quemen vegetación viva o muerta está prohibido durante 60 años contados desde la extinción del incendio:

• Realizar modificaciones en el uso y destino que esas superficies tenían antes del incendio.
  • Dividir o subdividir, lotear, fraccionar, parcelar o hacer cualquier emprendimiento inmobiliario distinto al arrendamiento y venta en tierras particulares. La división y subdivisión está permitida en caso de partición hereditaria.
  • Vender, dar en concesión, dividir, subdividir, lotear, fraccionar, parcelar o hacer cualquier otro emprendimiento inmobiliario, distinto al arrendamiento, en tierras fiscales.
  • Realizar cualquier actividad agropecuaria que sea distinta al uso y destino que la superficie tenia al momento del incendio.
Se establecen estas prohibiciones para garantizar las condiciones para que se restauren las superficies incendiadas.

Esta prohibición puede extenderse si lo indica el Ordenamiento Territorial de los Bosques Nativos de la jurisdicción correspondiente.

Zonas agropecuarias, praderas, pastizales, matorrales - Áreas con estructuras edilicias que se entremezclan con vegetación fuera del ambiente urbano o estructural

En caso de incendios provocados o accidentales que quemen vegetación viva o muerta está prohibido durante 30 años contados desde la extinción del incendio:

• Realizar emprendimientos inmobiliarios.
  • Realizar cualquier actividad agropecuaria distinta al uso y destino que la superficie tenía antes del incendio.
  • Modificar el uso de la superficie para desarrollar prácticas agropecuarias intensivas.
Se establecen estas prohibiciones para garantizar las condiciones para que se restauren las superficies incendiadas.

---------------------------------------------------------

So you buy a piece of land to develop, someone starts a fire on it, and you can't do anything with it for 60 years.

It's not an environmental law. It's just political bullshit. There was a lot of discussion about it at the time.
They fact was that they started fires to avoid the law that prohibits to cut native forest and dry humedales.

Can you please give some examples with some links maybe?
Didn't see you providing links how everything is getting cheaper, but OK...

This is the fridge I have, 1150 usd (dólar blue year ago):

Now around 3000 usd.

Samsung S23 ultra mid November 850 usd (200 cheaper than in Europe), now:

Now almost 2000 usd. And I chose cheaper store than is available to me in Provincia.

Samsung a54 on amazon España 350, here above 700k pesos.

Regarding laptops I won't make research now, because it's more complicated, because in Argentina old, custom made stuff is sold, that is impossible to find anywhere else. Genuine stuff is x2.

Regarding prices of food, especially fruits and vegetables are out of proportion, grew in Argentina by underpaid workers. Bananas close to 2 usd kilo, apples 1,8 usd... Olive oil 15 usd liter, milk is one dólar now.

Few things, especially services are still cheap, but talking about how the market is already adjusting is bad taste. Argentina is expensive to me, even though I don't care about paying eu prices, to ones earning in pesos most of the stuff is unreachable at the moment, and before they could afford it.

Back