Argentines...scared Of The Cold?

CaliCoco

Registered
Ok..at first I thought it was just my wife's family and then I started noticing other places too. Are Argentines (porteños) super paranoid about getting sick from cold weather or is it just me? My suegra freaks out if I'm not wearing a warm enough jacket and I see people over bundled up all the time. I'm from LA, I hate cold weather and I thought I was "friolento" but jeez. I even find people wary of using air conditioning in the summer for fear of getting sick. Anybody else notice this?

Do you mean like this? Yes, happens every time the temp drops below 25 ... Celsius. I'm in a t-shirt until it drops below 10C. But then again, I grew up in the snow.

cold_zps214d1246.jpg

I have seen the opposite here in Villa la Angostura. There are teenagers in board shorts when the temperature is around 7 degrees Celsius. And no one wears rain clothes or use umbrella. They just get wet.

I myself don't like getting cold and bundle up both myself and my kids according to the onion strategy. Many layers so that they can be removed and put back on as needed.

I'll never get tired of pointing out that people are prepared with sweaters in January and February.

I even find people wary of using air conditioning in the summer for fear of getting sick. Anybody else notice this?

Yes, los cambios de temperatura y "golpes" de aire are two very dangerous phenomena that occur only in Argentina, much like Fan Death only occurs in South Korea.
Fan%2BDeath.jpg

Heh, yeah, I've noticed this. Today I was sweating, and I still saw people walking around in sweaters. There's a ridiculous amount of people that think you can actually contract disease directly from temperature.

I think it's generational. The young people of Almagro are so overjoyed that it's not cold anymore that they have been running around for the past week like it's January, in flip flops or sandals, shorts/skirts and short-sleeved t-shirts. The crocs are out, too (shudder). It's the older folks who are still wearing sweaters and jackets.

I wore jeans and a hoodie all day today, but that's part of my technique for dealing with the heat. If you break out the summer clothing the second the temps aren't chilly, you suffer so much more when it's actually hot. Slooooowly peel off layers as time passes and save the shorts, tank tops and sandals for the very hottest days of the year. Do the same when it's cold (don't throw on a winter coat and scarf at the slightest drop in temperatures) and you'll survive the winter better, too.

I think they just want to show off some winter clothes and strive to find a day not hot enough to parade dressed for wintertime in Chicago.

Back