Argentines start bringing their money home

I hold no optimism for argentina. the main reason is argentinians are closed minded, conservative and wont change. So many here dont know the difference between right and wrong, so how could i ever entertain optimism? I wouldn't recommend anyone to move here. Even if their currency strengthened, youd still end up with Argentines and that in a nutshell is, was and always will be the problem. It's one headache after another living here: the pollution is worse than I've ever seen, the busses are the loudest you'll find anywhere (screeching and deafeningly loud), and nearly no one ever gets punished here. I couldn't begin to summarize the problems ive had and am still having. never ends. Almost all issues are related to the deeply flawed argentine character and their pathetic judicial system.

well at least my opinion, negative, is completely related to living in argentina. i think the glee and ignorant anti americanism that pervades boards like this is off topic and i wish the members would just post it elsewhere. please do.

igor said:
Haters? I hope you don't call a "hater" everybody who does not say that buying property in Argentina is the ultimate and 100% safe investment and it is time to buy, buy, buy now.

Not at all. No investment is 100% safe. But I believe that if the right due dilligence is done, Argentina real estate is a great investment. Especially, if one focuses on a rental property, and markets it to renters, in a desirable location.

I call a "hater" someone who has a negative opinion/tone in every one of their posts.

I am a big believer in constructive conversation and spirited debate.

Thanks for allowing me to explain, SS

nikad said:
I believe the real estate market is currently an investors market, and they are all trying to sell their properties, and very few people are buying at these prices. A 20-30% adjustment is in order for several reasons:

The price per sq meter in BsAs is worth more than the sq meter in Miami ( in all honesty even if things are really bad in the US as of now, and possibly for a couple of years, their market is worth more and will recover in a few years: it is the time to buy there, not here! ) 5000usd in Puerto Madero vs 2000usd in Miami (!!!)

Also who is going to pay the current RE prices? the farmers? ( see how much the price for commodities has dropped ), the middle class with no credit? the high class that can easily buy in Europe or US now?

The world will face a global recession ( lets hope it doesn´t become a depression ) do you really think that Argentina will not be affected?

The RE purchasing decreased 17% last month ( official data ) The fact that people are bringing their money home, doesn´t mean that they are going to spend it here ;)

Let me answer this question with all the information that I know . Personally I have never sold an apartment in Puerto Madero as I do not like the neighbourhood and find it lacking soul.

The real prices in Buenos Aires are nowhere near the figures you have quoted and are average prices of 2000 US dollars a metre. In many neighbourhoods with gorgeous architecture 1000 to 1500 US dollars a metre you can find property that is very attractive.

Regarding the Official Data this is completely true and it is due to many factors ie. less properties for sale due to Government regulations that closely monitor the sale price. In the high demand areas or Recoleta and Barrio Norte including Palermo there is high demand still with a small volume for sale. The foreign market of late has slowed considerably due to worldwide aprehension as well as the Farmers Strike that slowed the economy for three months.

Regarding Buying in Miami there is absolutely no comparison to buying in Buenos Aires as you are buying in a depression as well as in a city that is prone to constant Hurricanes. Rents of property in USA give a very small return which in many cases are less than 2 percent per annum . In Buenos Aires the returns can be up to 10 percent and more per annum.

I do believe that we will have a Worldwide depression and of course Argentina will be affected . Saying that we are one of the very few countries in the world that has a independent system now that will work in our favour in the coming years. Few people here will lose their life savings and their homes due to the compulsive gamblers of Wall Street who have put the World at great peril.

The participation of Argentines in the stock market and in the Banking system is less than 10 percent . In most countries of Europe and the USA it is over 70 percent.

If you look at the Great Wall Street Crash of 1929 Argentina was much better off than USA and Australia where I grew up. Unemployment reached 50 percent in this dark period something that was unheard of in Argentina.

People need to realise that we have the worlds richest land, the Worlds best water supplies and also one of the worlds most educated and literate population . This combined with our isolation from the Calamity of the World Financial markets will put us in great stead in the next years.

pericles said:
Let me answer this question with all the information that I know . Personally I have never sold an apartment in Puerto Madero as I do not like the neighbourhood and find it lacking soul.

The real prices in Buenos Aires are nowhere near the figures you have quoted and are average prices of 2000 US dollars a metre. In many neighbourhoods with gorgeous architecture 1000 to 1500 US dollars a metre you can find property that is very attractive.

Pericles, I know that in average neighborhoods the sq mt is around 1700usd, premium areas in Recoleta, Palermo and Belgrano are over 2000usd, In Puerto Madero the sq mt is over 4000usd for some buildings ( I will post some links later on )

pericles said:
Regarding the Official Data this is completely true and it is due to many factors ie. less properties for sale due to Government regulations that closely monitor the sale price. In the high demand areas or Recoleta and Barrio Norte including Palermo there is very high demand still with a small volume for sale. The foreign market of late has slowed considerably due to worldwide aprehension as well as the Farmers Strike that completely slowed the economy for three months.

I agree with you, but by word of mouth I hear some sellers taking offers at around 8% less of the asking price. I have seen the prices for properties increase in the last 6 months, I have followed several properties, for example a 2 br apt that was initially being sold at 77000usd several months ago, it is now at 98000usd and still unsold... so yes, prices keep going up, but there is no demand to convalidate these prices. Of course there are exceptions, but in the big numbers these prices are not being accepted

pericles said:
Regarding Buying in Miami there is absolutely no comparison to buying in Buenos Aires as you are buying in a depression as well as in a city that is prone to constant Hurricanes Rents of property in USA give a very small return which in many cases are less than 2 percent per annum . In Buenos Aires the returns can be up 10 percent and more per annum.

I am not comparing architecture or cultural life, but I see that for some time now, the real estate market here has been mainly an investors market, and investors do not care about architecture or city life, they want to make $, they bought in BA cheap back in 2001/02, they sold with a nice profit already, and right now, there are no buyers. They already have their money and are surely buying in Europe and/or the US to sell in some 4-6 yrs. Regarding rentals here, the general profit is at a 6% for long term rentals - a historic low - and the short term market will be affected by the world recession that will cause tourism to decline. The only way the short term rental market will survive is through another peso devaluation.
Certain premium properties in premium areas ( and I am not talking about whole neighborhoods, but specific blocks and buildings ) might keep their price/value in time, but we are talking 7 figures here.

pericles said:
I do believe that we will have a Worldwide depression and of course Argentina will be affected . Saying that we are one of the very few countries in the world that has a independent system now that will work in our favour in the coming years. Few people here will lose their life savings and their homes due to the compulsive gamblers of Wall Street who have put the World at great peril.

The participation of Argentines in the stock market and in the Banking system is less than 10 percent . In most countries of Europe and the USA it is over 70 percent.

If you look at the Great Wall Street Crash of 1929 Argentina was much better off than USA and Australia where I grew up. Unemployment reached 50 percent in this dark period something that was unheard of in Argentina.

People need to realise that we have the worlds richest land, the Worlds best water supplies and also one of the worlds most educated and literate population . This combined with our isolation from the Calamity of the World Financial markets will put us in great stead in the next years.

I don´t think the system is independant here, lets see what happens with commodities and less exports. I agree about the banking system, but I think it is the combination of uncertainty abroad, and a dark history of Argentine banks keeping people´s savings, unpaid debt, etc what causes investors to not trust this country. As much as I think the region should network, I don´t think a lack of financial markets and access to credit ( any type of it, mortgages, industry loans, etc ) will do any good. Capitalism is not dead, and I don´t think going the Chavez/Evo/Fidel way is the solution. We might not starve, but that won´t turn us into a developed country.

nikad said:
Regarding rentals here, the general profit is at a 6% for long term rentals - a historic low - and the short term market will be affected by the world recession that will cause tourism to decline. The only way the short term rental market will survive is through another peso devaluation.
Certain premium properties in premium areas ( and I am not talking about whole neighborhoods, but specific blocks and buildings ) might keep their price/value in time, but we are talking 7 figures here.

I would strongly disagree with your rental percentages. Again, one has to do their homework to find the right property and then market it well, but much higher percentages can be achieved.

JG said:
well at least my opinion, negative, is completely related to living in argentina. i think the glee and ignorant anti americanism that pervades boards like this is off topic and i wish the members would just post it elsewhere. please do.

Though I don't believe to have ever contributed to "anti americanism" type behavior, wouldn't an EXPATRIOT forum be a proper place to do so?

nikad said:
I am sure there are exceptions, and I am not talking about short term or touristic rentals, or long term rentals to expats.

Exactly my point, with proper marketing (to touristic rentals and long term expats), your yield can be much higher.

I'm still at a loss as to why people would be panicking, esp if they have money in the US banks. Your money, up to 100,000 per account is FDIC insured. The US is definitely in a bad place but the country isn't going bankrupt.

I keep my money is the US b/c it is safe. I would be a lot more worried about it in an account that wasn't insured.

The world needs to take a deep breath & stop running around like Chicken Little. Yes, the markets such & losing 40% of my 401K in a year doesn't make me happy. But the market will correct itself. As long as we can fix the credit crisis, it will sort itself out...

Back