Argentines: want to travel? You need Cristina's permission

BAMikeB said:
Forgive me but maybe i don't understand the system very well but isn't the AFIP just trying to get people to pay their proper share of taxes?

That's the official position and it makes financial sense - though a bit heavy-handed. Now, whether that money will go to country's coffers to help pay their debts or into someone's pocket is a different, and arguable, issue.

solerboy said:
And how will this conceal your travel plans from AFIP ?

the idea is not to conceal your plans to travel but making it obvious to AFIP tha tyou want travel and buy dolares...

I think this is for local only as previously my friend went to Peru after April 3rd(where the extraccion of Dolar with argentina cards in a foreign country is forbbiden), he have to call the bank to increase his dolar exchange limit.
the new regulation just seems to involves AFIP when that limit needs to be lifted.

GS_Dirtboy said:
That's the official position and it makes financial sense - though a bit heavy-handed. Now, whether that money will go to country's coffers to help pay their debts or into someone's pocket is a different, and arguable, issue.

The problem is that the government wants all the dollars for themselves. What they are doing is fomenting the black market with all these measures.

It would be a lot simpler if they just let the dollar float and charged a 30% additional tax to everyone who exported. That would accomplish the same thing they want, but it would end the distortion in the market and end the blue dollar.

Because right now they are paying exporters 30% under what the real value of the dollar is worth. Now is a great time to buy peso assets. I was just on deautos last night looking at used luxury cars that are priced in pesos (there are a few, not many, but they are there). I'm going to bring in some dollars with CCL and get a 30% discount on a nice car. :D

One always has to see the good in any situation.
No hay mal que por bien no venga.

el_expatriado said:
I was just on deautos last night looking at used luxury cars that are priced in pesos (there are a few, not many, but they are there). I'm going to bring in some dollars with CCL and get a 30% discount on a nice car. :D

The biggest problem with a luxury car in Argentina is not only are they way expensive but also the ongoing fees and taxes for them are very high. Insurance isn't cheap either on luxury cars.

Plus, if it's an imported car it's a real hassle to get parts if something goes wrong and they have to order a part. The part can get stuck in customs for months! Not fun.

I don't think it's worth it to have a luxury car in Buenos Aires. JMHO.

earlyretirement said:
The biggest problem with a luxury car in Argentina is not only are they way expensive but also the ongoing fees and taxes for them are very high. Insurance isn't cheap either on luxury cars.

Plus, if it's an imported car it's a real hassle to get parts if something goes wrong and they have to order a part. The part can get stuck in customs for months! Not fun.

I don't think it's worth it to have a luxury car in Buenos Aires. JMHO.

Yes, all this is true. But I love cars more than I hate taxes. :D

el_expatriado said:
Yes, all this is true. But I love cars more than I hate taxes. :D

Ha, ha. Yeah, if you are a car lover there you are pretty much screwed into paying a lot of money. My friend is also a car lover in Buenos Aires. I bought a 2012 Audi Q7 TDI in the USA. I paid $70,000. Funny my friend bought the same SUV in Buenos Aires and it was over $150,000 US dollars..

Can you say ouch?

I drive a luxury car in Europe, and intent to never ever drive one in Argentina

I think your getting-killed rate goes up with about 2000% as well, or driving around 100 times in Puerto Madero is your thing

Back