Argentines: want to travel? You need Cristina's permission

Maybe I am confused but I think there is a misunderstanding here. My understanding is that this is aimed at people who are using travel agents to obtain dollars (in cash) to be used during trips abroad. I'm not defending the policy but I don't believe anyone needs authorization for travel.

solerboy said:
And how will this conceal your travel plans from AFIP ?

It won't. But it will let you travel without having to ask permission. You can still get the official rate on your Argentine credit card and that way you can consume your pesos.

If you are living in Argentina and not declaring an income and working in negro, then this isn't going to work. But for the majority of us who are in white this is fine. Obviously with the international travel sites there is no bureaucracy involved.

che said:
I am not sure why one way, buying with international credit card or argentina, is "really bad advice." Maybe el_expatriado can expand on the why it is "really bad advice."

Because why buy with an international card and pay with dollars when you can either buy with a local card and pay in pesos or buy in cash at a travel agent and also pay in pesos. Remember, the peso is worth 30% less than the dollar, so any opportunity to spend pesos and get dollars (like int'l travel) should be taken advantage of.

Well even for those that declare their full income in blanco it's still pretty difficult to travel as they can only change 25% of their salary to dollars. I think they're trying to clamp down on people using their credit cards to travel, as that's one thing as of yet they can't control.
They are such a bunch of neanderthals this government to not come up with better solutions to the countries problems, instead they choose the most basic singular brain-celled option doing a lot of long term damage to people's confidence in the country.

Somebody said it earlier, closer to what I think is going on.

AFIP wants to catch people spending dollars/foreign currency they shouldn't have.

Many Argentinos I know have bank accounts out of the country, many in the US, that are full of dollars. This is a way for AFIP to track people who buy trips/vacations, etc, here with their foreign credit cards or cash, possibly from money that was made in the black and deposited (either directly or by carrying) in another country.

I'm sure people who can't explain their foreign funds will become under scrutiny by AFIP.

I don't see how it would stop Argentinos from taking cash out of ATMs from their foreign accounts and paying in pesos. The article seemed to be talking about reporting transactions (purchasing tickets/packages) requiring currency conversions.

It also doesn't restrict travel, except on the doubt of the travelers themselves. If they do everything in white, they would have no problems. In reality, it could be seen to restrict travel for the very reason that many people do not exist completely in the white here, but I don't think the point of the law is to restrict travel itself.

BAMikeB said:
Forgive me but maybe i don't understand the system very well but isn't the AFIP just trying to get people to pay their proper share of taxes?

ElQueso said:
Somebody said it earlier, closer to what I think is going on.

AFIP wants to catch people spending dollars/foreign currency they shouldn't have.

Yup, bad BAD people! They want to keep their money. Assholes! A good citizen just bends over and lets the saints in government do their work. Let the government decide what one should or should not have.

I think this all has to do with the gov needing US$. Every US$ that potentially leaves this country the gov wants to stop to help shore up its accounts. They have been spending to much, and unlike most countries dont have the ability to borrow. And this is just another way to stop capital flight.

The AFIP thing is just another way to hinder the movement of money. People have not been paying taxes here since adam was a cowboy. It is ingrained in the culture, just like greece or italy. And it is from the very top. This happens in all countries, you get people who dont pay taxes, but there is rampant taxes avoidance here.

I can understand why people do it here. I wouldnt want to give 1 cent to a gov that wastes money like happens here. But i would also be pissed as the few who do pay taxes are paying at a very high rate. So in one respect these moves by AFIP are good, it makes the tax avoiders lifes a bit more difficult, but at the end of the day its all about the gov wanting to stop US$ leaving the country.

BAMikeB said:
Forgive me but maybe i don't understand the system very well but isn't the AFIP just trying to get people to pay their proper share of taxes? It seems like a lot of business is done here under the table anyway. I understand that the government is capable of squandering the tax revenue, but all these restrictions that have been coming up in the past year seem to target people that don't want to declare their income.

you are right!!!!
They calculate how mucho you declare less how much does it cost to live and you can buy dollars with the extra. But people declares so little that almost nobody is allowed to buy.

It makes sense to control it because it is the easiest way to control the washing of undeclared income.

guys, nobody has to ask permission to travel.
that form is only if you need to buy dollars to travel and it complies with the other regulations.

Back