Argentinian foreigner's DNI as travel document?

The question is why do you care? Don't you have a passport?

so doesn't matter what one wants to do, even if going to Argentina itself DNI shouldn't be enough, for them it's just some plastic not a travel document.

is this really true?

We have plenty of permanent Argentine residents.
I bet some of us tried presenting solely DNI at Argentine border control.
Have they rejected you if DNI is not accompanied with a passport?
I have hard time to believe that Argentine DNI (even extranjero) is not enough to enter Argentina.

is this really true?

We have plenty of permanent Argentine residents.
I bet some of us tried presenting solely DNI at Argentine border control.
Have they rejected you if DNI is not accompanied with a passport?
I have hard time to believe that Argentine DNI (even extranjero) is not enough to enter Argentina.

Before entering Argentina you should first exit from other country.
In case of US you 100% can`t exit with DNI as for them it is not a valid travel document. So its impossible for the most countries except maybe those "Uruguay, Paraguay, Brasil, Chile, Perú, Venezuela, Ecuador, Colombia, Bolivia " here we are trying to figure about those 9

Last edited:
In case of US you 100% can`t exit with DNI as for them it is not a valid travel document.

well, leaving the US is completely different matter.
Besides, the US per se does not even have exit control.

you will be denied to get on a plane with DNI only

again, I don't understand what problems in the country of departure have to do with Argentina?
They have nothing to do with Argentina.
You might also be searched by Interpol and be arrested trying to get on a plane.
Or you might lack money to buy a plane ticket.
This has nothing to do with Argentina as well.

You can leave the US without passport via canadian land border (if you have enhanced driver's license).
Or you can try leaving in a private yacht or private jet.

again, I don't understand what problems in the country of departure have to do with Argentina?
You might also be searched by Interpol and be arrested trying to get on a plane.

You can leave the US without passport via canadian land border (if you have enhanced driver's license).

You simply won't successfully board a plane from the US or Canada to Argentina without a passport. There is no border control for exiting the US but you won't be allowed to board a plane. The DNI gives passport free travel from within mercosur. Neither the US or Canada is part of that. It's the same as the European union. I can use my Spanish ID to fly with Europe but I can’t fly from the US to Spain without my passport.

So unless you have a private jet it's not going to happen.

That is correct. However, Argentina does not allow entering or exiting Argentina with a DNI if the flight is to/from a non Mercosur member. SO if you are Argentine and flying to the US you need a passport. Same if you fly from MIA to BUE, even though there is no exit immigrations in the US the airline will always require a passport as would migraciones at EZE. This applies to Argentinos as well.

Back to the topic, I'm updating the list. 100% can enter Brazil with DNI

Uruguay+
Paraguay+
Brasil+
Chile+

Peru?
Venezuela?
Ecuador?
Colombia?
Bolivia?

Back to the topic, I'm updating the list. 100% can enter Brazil with DNI

Uruguay+
Paraguay+
Brasil+
Chile+

Peru?
Venezuela?
Ecuador?
Colombia?
Bolivia?

It's still not true if it's not officially written. There is a difference between what's officially allowed, and running into border agents who simply don't care. I just met a guy here on vacation from Europe and he crossed a Mercosur land border and they didn't even ask him for any type of ID.. according to him.

Back