Arriving in August

JeffBAfromUSA

Registered
My wife and I are arriving in BA in late August. We both quit our jobs, rented our house, and put all of our things in storage. Most of our friends here in the states think we are crazy and maybe we are. We would like to find jobs down there but have no connections or leads... just adventure in our hearts. Any suggestions, comments, or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Jeff

JeffBAfromUSA said:
words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Jeff

Bring 2x as much money as you think you may need.

Don't hold high expectations for types of jobs you may find, especially if you have no DNI.

You don't say your level of spanish, but if you have none, get in some immersion classes ASAP on arrival. If you have "high school Spanish", get in some immersion classes - your Mexican Spanish will help, but you're going to feel out of sorts here as they speak very fast and in a different way than what you were taught in high school.

Understand that things probably aren't going to be as easy as you would like them to be. Many tasks that you'd think would take a few minutes, can take you an entire day.

Bring electronics from home, the prices are through the roof here.

Don't be surprised when all those people raving about $5 dollar steak meals and $2 dollar bottles of wine turn out to be very very very wrong -- their data is probably from 2002, 8 years change a lot.

Welcome and enjoy the experience!

I'm assuming you have some savings to be able to do this, and you'll meet a lot of like minded people here. There is a good community of expats... Not sure what work you do, but if you can do anything over the Internet and earn is USD, you'll be better off.

I second the Spanish language lessons, electronics and cost of living that syngirl posted. It's a great city, but much more expensive than even 2 years ago.

Read some expat blogs about life here too. There's lots of em... (hint below)

Hi and welcome! You're in the right place; read a few pages of the Newcomer's forum in particular and you'll find a wealth of information on living costs, job advice, day-to-day living, you name it. I'm still new here, but in trawling through all the old topics I've learned absolutely loads before even setting foot in the airport.

Good luck with your adventure!

welcome to Baires!
this is a jungle city! so expect the unexpected!
I'm sure you'll have fun down here...!!

JeffBAfromUSA said:
My wife and I are arriving in BA in late August. We both quit our jobs, rented our house, and put all of our things in storage. Most of our friends here in the states think we are crazy and maybe we are. We would like to find jobs down there but have no connections or leads... just adventure in our hearts. Any suggestions, comments, or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Jeff

You are so welcome and will be right at home with an adventurous spirit..Argentines are very creative due to their many crisis and are less fixated on home and steady income as many other countries. We left Ireland amid the Celtic Tiger 8% yoy bubble and either faced the "God I admire you" or "Do you know what you are doing?" responses...we only have one life and even if Argentina doesnt work out for you, you tried to follow the dream..sorry for all the banalities but they hold true for many. I whole heartedly support all previous posts advising the need for Spanish lessons and work through internet as basic teaching, bar work wont make for the most complete of living experiences.

Back