Unable to obtain student visa in time (from the US). Arriving in BsAs next week. Advice?

true_oyster

Registered
So my federal background check apostille was delayed, and I'm set to start school at UBA on March 7 (I'm arriving March 1). I understand I won't be able to receive a residency permit or student visa without this document. Any advice on what to do? The university has been no help, and the consulate won't give me a straight answer either. Wondering if I will be able to start classes with just a tourist visa while I wait for my background check to be completed and sent to me in Argentina.

I think on this board we only know about fake enrollments at Argentine universities.

Are you still waiting on the apostille? Or are you on to the next step? If the former, it's possible to pay extra and have the apostille done in like 24 hours. If the latter, I don't have the answer for you but surely someone else on this forum does.

Are you still waiting on the apostille? Or are you on to the next step? If the former, it's possible to pay extra and have the apostille done in like 24 hours. If the latter, I don't have the answer for you but surely someone else on this forum does.
it's a federal document, so no expedited apostille service available and it HAS to be done by mail as there's no in-person service either. super frustrating. i'm just hoping that the school will be flexible with me, as it's near impossible to get things done quickly here in the US. I only was accepted like six weeks ago, so I'm doing everything as quickly as I can but no luck :/

To answer your question, yes you will be able to start classes with the tourist visa. But you must be aware that the process with the consulate in the US will be over once you leave without the visa. You cannot continue that specific process once you arrive. You can however, apply for a student visa once you are in Argentina. That will be a completely new process.

To answer your question, yes you will be able to start classes with the tourist visa. But you must be aware that the process with the consulate in the US will be over once you leave without the visa. You cannot continue that specific process once you arrive. You can however, apply for a student visa once you are in Argentina. That will be a completely new process.
That makes sense and is what I was hoping to do anyway. Thanks for your response!

Is this a Master's program? Doctorate? You may have more flexibility here if that's the case. You'll want to go straight to the school and find the department to discuss this in person. Unfortunately, almost nothing gets accomplished via email.

Is this a Master's program? Doctorate? You may have more flexibility here if that's the case. You'll want to go straight to the school and find the department to discuss this in person. Unfortunately, almost nothing gets accomplished via email.
Yes! I'm doing a masters program there. And yeah, you're not kidding haha.

Yes! I'm doing a masters program there. And yeah, you're not kidding haha.
You'll quickly learn when to stress and how much stress to expend when it comes with bureaucracy here, especially when dealing with la UBA which is a monster in itself.

You'll probably need to get that background check as well as your transcript/diploma translated by someone del Colegio de Traductores. I can send you contact of the person who translated all of my paperwork. She's fantastic.

You'll quickly learn when to stress and how much stress to expend when it comes with bureaucracy here, especially when dealing with la UBA which is a monster in itself.

You'll probably need to get that background check as well as your transcript/diploma translated by someone del Colegio de Traductores. I can send you contact of the person who translated all of my paperwork. She's fantastic.
Yeah please share! That would be great. Thanks so much!

Back