Arriving in Oct/Nov

syngirl said:
Out of curiousity -- what are you going to do about the car though? Do you not need paperwork to be able to import it into Argentina? How will you sell it, or are you really going to drive all the way back?

If they don't have a visa then they don't need to nationalize the car (ie. it never actually gets imported). It just stays on foreign plates. They will have to renew the paperwork every 8 or 9 months or so (i can't remember exactly). But there is a link on this on here somewhere. I'll go see if I can find it.

On another note: I don't know if anyone has read Tim Cahill's Road Fever. It's really really funny. He basically drove from Alaska to Tierra Del Fuego.

Hi all,

Wow, thanks so much for all the comments and help. I am feeling much better about our decision to live and work in BA, I think it will probably take a bit of time to sort it all out but sounds like it is possible.

Thanks!

Kels,
I've read your blog and I think, you're a great couple. You made memories for more then a lifetime. Just keep going and all my best wishes and good speed. May GOD bless you.

Hi,
Kiwi's can get a 1 year work visa for argentina if you are 30 year or under, which is easy to get in NZ, but not sure about getting it here.
It is also very easy for NZ'er (i have more that 1 citizenship) to get the rentist visa (retirement visa which saves you from leaving the country every 3 months like tourist visa), but again not sure about getting it here. You could always fly to NZ from buenos aires and get either. My flight here in march was only NZ$1200 return open for a year.

I am so jealous of your trip. I use to live in quebec, and me and a friend bought a car and drove to panama, where is broke down. It was going to cost more than the car was worth to fix, so we left it in a hotel car park wiith the keys in it and all out camping gear etc... so we didnt get to drive through south america as planned.

Davo

kels said:
We are a young couple who is driving from Canada to the tip of South America, and we plan to end our journey in Buenos Aires where we'd like to settle down for a bit. ...Kels
Hi kels,

you may think some of the comments a bit harsh and negative - they are not.

Reading through your original post, my first thought was "Dear God, let their car break completely down in some civilized place, then at least they are going to survive their 'adventure' ", 'cause it sounded sooo naive, this young couple thinking that a drive through Central- and South America is like driving through Idaho, only warmer.

I've seen this kind of naive ideas before (and they all begin with exactly your expression "We are a young couple who ..."), e.g. while working in the Middle East, people thinking you can cross a desert in a coupe and come out alive on the other side :eek: - some did, some didn't. Other members in this forum no doubt have similar experiences to draw from.

Not until your later post did it become clear that you actually know what you are doing - thank God.

Wish you all the best on your exciting trip :)

My name is Elisabet and I´m a guide in Buenos Aires. I can show you the main and more interesting places of this city. If I can be of any help, don´t doubt to contact me. Here I send you my web page so you can know a little more about me. www.visitarbuenosaires.com

Not if you're teaching as a friend or unpaid volunteer. But if you were to teach English for pay, clearly you'd be working, wouldn't you? And you'd then need a visa granting you permission to work within Argentina.

As a foreigner lacking official permission to work in Argentina, to work despite the law would be violative of the law.

like someone said before, you seem like a great couple! congrats on your trip and the website, which is very nice in deed!

Back