Arriving this week in BsAs

carolined

Registered
Hello all,

I am originally from Brazil but have been living in Portland, OR for 7 years. I am going to spend a couple of months in Buenos Aires studying spanish and will be staying in San Telmo at first.

Would also love to find a part time job there to improve the language. I speak portuguese, english and some spanish. Graduated in law but I own a company in the US bicycle industry, importing and manufacturing products that we distribute to retail stores. We sell products into many south american countries except Argentina. Seems there is an importation freeze going on!!!!!! Great for an economy!

I am looking for a group class, a gym and information about having dogs there. I will have my vizsla with me and was wondering if cabs, trains, buses allow dogs, as well as outdoor cafes and restaurants.

Looking forward to making some friends here!

Caroline

carolined said:
I am looking for a group class, a gym and information about having dogs there. I will have my vizsla with me and was wondering if cabs, trains, buses allow dogs, as well as outdoor cafes and restaurants.

Hi Caroline, I also have a big dog (a German Shepherd) here in the city. Buses don't allow dogs (although you'll often see ladies with tiny dogs shoved in their purses); neither do most cabs, although I did convince one to take my dog (in her cage) from the airport to my apartment, but that was a one-time deal. Some of the trains allow dogs to ride in the same car as people with bicycles, although you might want to take a muzzle in case they ask for one (I seriously doubt they will). As for the outdoor cafes/restaurants, this is one of the best cities I've ever been in for taking your dog along to eat. I've even had waiters bring her a bowl of water to drink or a snack from the kitchen! Good luck with the pup, vizslas are beautiful dogs!! :)

carolined said:
Hello all,

I am originally from Brazil but have been living in Portland, OR for 7 years. I am going to spend a couple of months in Buenos Aires studying spanish and will be staying in San Telmo at first.

Would also love to find a part time job there to improve the language. I speak portuguese, english and some spanish. Graduated in law but I own a company in the US bicycle industry, importing and manufacturing products that we distribute to retail stores. We sell products into many south american countries except Argentina. Seems there is an importation freeze going on!!!!!! Great for an economy!

Looking forward to making some friends here!

Caroline

You say you own a company in the US that exports products to "many South American countries except Argentina" and you are coming here to study Spanish and that you are looking for a job?

Are you also coming here with the hope to expand your business in spite of the import freeze?

Tell us more and perhaps we can help. Do you already have a place to stay that accepts dogs? If you're just taking a break from your business that's something I can understand. I owned my own businesses for 30 years. Fortunatley it was seasonal (Park City, Utah) and I also had the opportunity to travel.

Restaurants do not allow dogs inside, but there is no problem with dogs outside. The noise from busses is the biggest problem in most sidewalk cafes.

I travel on the train to Merlo with my pooch (50 kg) usually without question,,,,,,but I have a backup......a white and red cane and sunglasses! He has a harness, is so well trained that he should be an aid dog....Believe me he is better behaved than most people I know! AND he doesn't shit in the street! He uses the terraza where it it is put to good use.......Flowers blooming everywherwe!

StuckLikeGlue said:
Hi Caroline, I also have a big dog (a German Shepherd) here in the city. Buses don't allow dogs (although you'll often see ladies with tiny dogs shoved in their purses); neither do most cabs, although I did convince one to take my dog (in her cage) from the airport to my apartment, but that was a one-time deal. Some of the trains allow dogs to ride in the same car as people with bicycles, although you might want to take a muzzle in case they ask for one (I seriously doubt they will). As for the outdoor cafes/restaurants, this is one of the best cities I've ever been in for taking your dog along to eat. I've even had waiters bring her a bowl of water to drink or a snack from the kitchen! Good luck with the pup, vizslas are beautiful dogs!! :)

Thank you for the help! seems like will not be easy to get around with the dog there but i love the idea of being able to take him to cafes and restaurants. :)

steveinbsas said:
You say you own a company in the US that exports products to "many South American countries except Argentina" and you are coming here to study Spanish and that you are looking for a job?

Are you also coming here with the hope to expand your business in spite of the import freeze?

Tell us more and perhaps we can help. Do you already have a place to stay that accepts dogs? If you're just taking a break from your business that's something I can understand. I owned my own businesses for 30 years. Fortunatley it was seasonal (Park City, Utah) and I also had the opportunity to travel.

Restaurants do not allow dogs inside, but there is no problem with dogs outside. The noise from busses is the biggest problem in most sidewalk cafes.

The job would not be for the money, it would be to practice spanish. I do have the opportunity to work from anywhere at the moment and would be stablishing contacts in Argentina so that when the freeze ends, hopefully we could do business.

Believe it or not, i do not have a place yet. One deal that i had feel through as the onwer wanted to charge $1000 extra for my stay (non refundable) because of the dog. So i am still looking......

Hey! I am also from Portland and have been living in Buenos Aires for 5 years. I might be able to help with an unpaid internship in exchange for Spanish lessons at a nice school. Let me know if that sounds appealing!

Hi Murvee!
Good to know there is someone from pdx here! What brought you to Ba?

Thank you for the offer! At the moment i am studying a lot and wouldnt have time for it but in a couple of months i would be interested.

my gf has a golden retriever and there's this cabcompany we call that allows us to take the dog if we put a blanket :) (as he dog has only 3 legs, if we wanna go to the park there's no other way)
the startrate is couple of pesos more .. but its practically nothing

i'll check for the company's phonenumber!

Back