Arriving With A Dog!

cruizes

Registered
I am asking anyone that has recently brought a dog into customs at EZE airport.

I have read conflicting articles about the costs, procedures etc. One article says "this" while another one says "that". So I am asking anyone who has personally done this recently.

I have an "International Health Certificate", rabies vaccinations and all other shots that are necessary. The dog will be travelling with me in the cabin on Copaair. What importing tax should I encounter at the airport? This is where the confusion comes in.

Thanks guys. Getting excited to be arriving Buenos Aires in just a few days.

Michael

I came from France in 2003 with my dog, arrived at EZE, and from what I remember I didn't pay anything. But that was 7 years ago

French jurist said:
I came from France in 2003 with my dog, arrived at EZE, and from what I remember I didn't pay anything. But that was 7 years ago

Or 49 years ago for the dog. :D

French jurist said:

Thanks - Hopefully everything will run smoothly. Currently I live in Baja Mexico and here if they have a policy one day and you come back the next day and speak with another person, you get another interpretation of the law.

Yes. You do have to pay something at the airport when you speak to the vet. I think it was about AR300. I can't remember exactly how much it is. You can not pay with cards, cash only. I've been through about 4 times but only paid once. The other times there was no vet there at the time. But I'd be prepared with all your paperwork & cash anyway.

I don't know what paper work you need from Mexico. Look on the Argentine embassy site & the SENSA site. That will tell you what you need specifically from Mexico (or whatever country you are coming from). Don't assume if it's like that for one country it's the same for another country.

mini said:
Yes. You do have to pay something at the airport when you speak to the vet. I think it was about AR300. I can't remember exactly how much it is. You can not pay with cards, cash only. I've been through about 4 times but only paid once. The other times there was no vet there at the time. But I'd be prepared with all your paperwork & cash anyway.

I don't know what paper work you need from Mexico. Look on the Argentine embassy site & the SENSA site. That will tell you what you need specifically from Mexico (or whatever country you are coming from). Don't assume if it's like that for one country it's the same for another country.

We are all Americans flying from Los Angeles so that will not be a problem. We just happen to have a house in Rosarito Beach, Mexico.

cruizes said:
We are all Americans flying from Los Angeles so that will not be a problem. We just happen to have a house in Rosarito Beach, Mexico.

Then you need paperwork from the USDA. Do this with enough time in advance. If you don't live near them you'll have to mail your vet certificate to them for them to do the correct paper work. Make sure your vet is aware of the correct paper work.

mini said:

I came from Sayulita,Mexico four years ago and didn't have an international certificate (but I could have if I'd bothered to see a vet in Puerto Vallarta). I paid $100 USD (just over $300 pesos at that time) in CASH to the airport vet at EZE.

It was clearly a bribe. He told me that without the certificate I would have to pay. The official fee was about 15 pesos and I was given a receipt for that. Since then, no public official has asked me for an extra centavo, but my hysterical Argentine girlfriend later threated to "report" me and have me deported for paying a bribe.

Be sure any shots were given at least 30 days prior to your arrival in Argentina.

steveinbsas said:
I came from Sayulita,Mexico four years ago and didn't have an international certificate (but I could have if I'd bothered to see a vet in Puerto Vallarta). I paid $100 USD (just over $300 pesos at that time) in CASH to the airport vet at EZE.

It was clearly a bribe. He told me that without the certificate I would have to pay. The official fee was about 15 pesos and I was given a receipt for that. Since then, no public official has asked me for an extra centavo, but my hysterical Argentine girlfriend later threated to "report" me and have me deported for paying a bribe.

I don't know when you came over with the dog. But the official fee last August was not 15 pesos. It was more & I got receipts for my payment. I think it was 2 different fees.

I would suggest getting all the correct paperwork. When I was talking to the vet I accidentally gave him the paper from Argentina to enter the US instead of the US paper to enter Argentina. He was very nervous when he came back & asked if I had another paper. He was also quite relieved when I gave him the right paper. I don't know if they would have taken my dog away or what. I certainly wouldn't want to find out!!

we brought our cat from Thailand a year and a half ago. I paid two fees and the total came to under 150 pesos. There is a money exchange place right near where the vets/animal import section is, so should be fine if you have some dollars in cash.

they checked the various forms and informed me we had failed to get the cat vaccinated for some African equine sickness, but they'd let us through this time. (even though my cat is neither from Africa, nor a horse!) We were coming from Thailand at the time..

Back