Ars Required For Family Of Four

School tuitions notoriously increase, I always say best to find a place that is comfortably within your budget, not at the highest limit, as the tuitions can increase as much as 35-40% a year, while salaries often don`t match that increase.

Edited to add: And don`t forget about the Insane Birthday Circuit... It is customary that if you have a birthday party for your child you must invite the entire grade. Since most people live in apartments in the city this means renting a salon. Then you might have to hire entertainment. And provide food or use the salons` service. We just did our son`s at a pelotero / indoor playground and it was pretty cheap, but I`ve already seen a few over the top ones, where for 3 and 4 yr olds the parents are paying 6000 pesos and jup for a 2 hr birthday party. Then there`s the present -- you either have to buy each child a present or you get on the ridiculous birthday present list where each parent puts in money and you are assigned one child -- for us this year that means we have to give 800 pesos to another child. Our child already got presents for his birthday so I told my husband that I`m just using the 800 pesos for entertainment etc during the winter holidays, it will be better spent on that than buying local toys (other than books, which are expensive here but there are some beautiful ones).

I have heard of some insane birthdays -- for one of the girl`s at my nieces school in Caballito the parents paid to have Violetta (a Disney star) come and perform -- at a 6 year old`s birthday. The more elite the school, the more insane the birthday parties -- it`s something to keep in mind when deciding!

Better to pay psychologist later, than this. It will be cheaper and child will need it anyway, if visiting school with that kind of mentals...

Thanks for the advice guy's really helped. Looking at Xoom and the blue dolled market we will have more pesos than we expected which will help. Think we will go for a temporary rental as that seems easier and there are some good apartments with reasonable rent. Just need to find a school.

Old post, but I guess you have plenty of time ahead.
I know this is controversial, but if you don't need to travel downtown everyday, please consider the idea of living in a gated community (a country).
Pilar, Tigre, Canning have lots of choices. You we'll have no security issues in there, and many places have their own bilingual schools inside.
Usually you can lease for a whole year, but you have to pay it up front, and then you'll have to pay a monthly fee (expensas).
There is no bars or fences in the houses, the bikes has no chains, mostly of the time the door houses are open and there are children in the streets playing around.
Certainly this lifestyle has its downside, being one of them the money. In general you should need a car, and perhaps two.
I'm not intent to sell you anything, I just think is something worth to consider. You can PM for details.

Hi,

I just wanted to thank you all again for your help. We have decided to come over in July this year for 12 months and then to move to somewhere in Europe. Sounds like we would not have a good enough life style to warrant moving half way round the world permanently, but you never know, we might love it so much we can't bear to leave after the 12 months!

Thanks.

By the time you get here Macri will have long abolished the currency control and import restrictions - the Blu Dolar will be but a distant memory. You will be able to use the ATM - just like in any other country but North Korea and The Congo. Shelves will be overflowing with Malt Vinegar and Pimm's. BAexpats will be shut down because peanut butter will be omnipresent.

Excellent! Although I'm still waiting for the penut butter.

Updating the information in this post, there is no need of using blue rate anymore, now you can just take your money from the atm directly, things go back to normality :p

Hi,

I just wanted to thank you all again for your help. We have decided to come over in July this year for 12 months and then to move to somewhere in Europe. Sounds like we would not have a good enough life style to warrant moving half way round the world permanently, but you never know, we might love it so much we can't bear to leave after the 12 months!

Thanks.

As an ex resident Im sure youll have a fantastic time in Bsas and I envy you the virgin introduction to the great city and country. I recall something from your original post with regards to raising bilingual children and wanted to share my own opinion. Someonce once told me that no matter how young and fluent the kids are orally they need to reach an age of reading and writing to be able to maintain it into adulthood at a a bilingual level. I have no idea if thats true or not but as we left with our kids aged 3 and 8 we relocated to Andalucia just to be safe and I can safely say 4 years later they remain bilingual and switch between Andaluz and Porteno accents within hours of changing location. Happy travels.

Back