Ars Required For Family Of Four

As everyone has pointed out - there are some serious variables.

1) Predicting whether 50K would be enough in Jan '16 would be a stretch. Jan '17 - crystal ball would be required.
2) Let's say you meant Jan '16. The next question is are you talking about 50K in hand? Or gross (bruto)?
3) You mention you need to pay rent. Are you planning on renting a furnished apt? Or unfurnished?

Me personally - I wouldn't relocate my family for that kind of money. Even if it's net, you would be at best living a middle-middle class lifestyle.

Bilingual schools - you're looking at 5K plus a month per kid at least. Plus enrollment fee which can be one-time or annual. Think 10K plus per kid. a 3 BR apt furnished - prob 20K minimum. Health insurance (if not provided by your job) - 5K plus a month. That is 35K a month not including any kind of groceries, bills, eating out, traveling, etc.

Of course is possible to get by nicely, but is it worth to go through all the problems and be on zero at the end? If you are adventurous family, or this is the only way, yes, do it, otherwise try to avoid Argentina... Also, where do you come from, might be important data?

Hi. Thanks for all your helpful comments. We are moving from London for a number of reasons. I want to have more time for my kids (we will not be working), would love them to be bilingual and generally just want a new adventure. Oldest daughter would be 3 1/2 when we arrive. Conscious that the later we leave it the more difficult it would be for her. We would also be aiming to start Spanish lessons for the whole family before we arrive.

Our income will be coming from £ so the inflation rates shouldn't be a problem. This will be net.

Really interested to hear about the areas. My husband is keen to live in the middle of the action, but I would be keen to live in a quieter area and close to the school.

Our income will be coming from £ so the inflation rates shouldn't be a problem. This will be net.

Clearly you have no idea on how manipulated are the exchange rates here. A lot of people on this forum rely on foreign income and they do see the inflation difference because currently the exchange rate is kept so low (the official and the unofficial) that life here is expensive as in others places in Europe.

You should also consider how you are going to get your pounds to Argentina for a family of 4. You'd probably have to convert them to EUR or USD (better) in the UK and then to pesos here on the blue market.

If you want to raise your children bilingual, move to a nice town in Spain. It is safer, you can access your savings in the UK, you'd have free healthcare and you'd learn a better Spanish.

I would withdraw from a u.k account with hsbc so they use the market rate plus 2.75% and a fee of about £2.50 if I use their buenos aires branches.

I would withdraw from a u.k account with hsbc so they use the market rate plus 2.75% and a fee of about £2.50 if I use their buenos aires branches.
If you are planning on withdrawing your money in Buenos Aires, you get 50% less of its value....

Is there a way around this?

Welcome to BAExpats!

Some use services like Xoom.
Some travel to Uruguay and withdraw dollars
Some bring cash
Some have other arrangements (e.g. transferring money to a trusted parties account in the UK/US and receiving pesos in cash here)
Some say bitcoin is the saviour of the Expat
Some say this is bullshit

All of these options and more are discussed ad infinitum and in excruciating detail. The forum search is your friend.

Back