Ask for residency - Patria Grande - Extra Mercosur

Stan, as usual, your negative comments are not appreciated. Do me a favor, if you happen to see me post here I am not interested in your rhetoric. Argentina does not deport people just like that. Only if they have committed a crime would someone be deported. People are not rounded up here like in the US for not having documentation.

Will Argentina pay for your airline ticket like they do in the US when you get deported??

Davidglen77 said:
Stan, as usual, your negative comments are not appreciated. Do me a favor, if you happen to see me post here I am not interested in your rhetoric. Argentina does not deport people just like that. Only if they have committed a crime would someone be deported. People are not rounded up here like in the US for not having documentation.

Well suit yourself but if you actually do this let us know some people might like to go by and observe from a safe distance.

Depending on the government's attitude people who participate in such a demonstration could also end up being in need of medical attention.

Once again a blatant lie written by the above poster. I have seen 100s of demonstrations here and only once was there any sense of crowd control on the demonstraters. There is much more chance of being arrested and beaten up in The USA than in Argentina for expressing a difference of opinion.

I have also in my home country of Australia seen much more violence used against demonstraters than in Argentina.

The freedom of expression seems to a respected right here.

pericles said:
Once again a blatant lie written by the above poster. I have seen 100s of demonstrations here and only once was there any sense of crowd control on the demonstraters. There is much more chance of being arrested and beaten up in The USA than in Argentina for expressing a difference of opinion.

I have also in my home country of Australia seen much more violence used against demonstraters than in Argentina.

The freedom of expression seems to a respected right here.

Oh come on, the only reason most demostrations aren't broken up is that most demostrators there are paid supporters of the government. Look what happend to the people who tried to protest against the government during the farmers strike, they were roughed and chased by thugs paid by the government.

Freedom of expression in Argentina still exists but is under constant threat from the government. There were multiple attemps by the government to silence the press during the farmers strike.

This government is capable of anything including violence against protesters if they feel this serves their ends.

Davidglen77 said:
Sergio, first, I am NOT here illegally. I have temporary residency, DNI, CUIL, etc. I am looking to become a permanent resident in the same way that people from Mercosur countries are allowed to. I am not talking about a protest demanding anything. I am talking about asking in a peaceful way that those of us who want nothing more to do with the US be allowed to settle here permanently. I feel I could contribute a lot to this country, love living here and would like to stay forever. When I think about having to possibly go back to the US I get sick to my stomach. We could show our solidarity for Argentina and ask that we be given residency in that manner. No demands, no yelling, just a peaceful showing of our love for this great country. Anybody else brave enough to speak out in public and possibly change history? If I don't get any other Americans I will do this alone. I also have some friends from here that are willing to support as well.

At a first glance it sounds like a crazy idea to me, damn I wish my husband had had the chance to just become a perm resident without all the hassle we have been though, however, why not give it a shot? Somebody mentioned talking to a journalist, that sounds like a very good idea to me! Also, here you can always expect the unexpected, so why not???! Hell, get organized and give it a try. I know for sure people do not get deported, unless they commited crazy crimes and got caught. If I was you I would send a letter to Migrations, explaining your point of view, what you think you can contribute, as well as your fellow expats, etc. And yes, if you touch the right person, this could be a huge media shock if it was on the news ( think that next year there are elections ) so it is likely that somebody will be willing to get out of his way and make it happen :)

Oh come on, the only reason most demostrations aren't broken up is that most demostrators there are paid supporters of the government. Look what happend to the people who tried to protest against the government during the farmers strike, they were roughed and chased by thugs paid by the government.

Freedom of expression in Argentina still exists but is under constant threat from the government. There were multiple attemps by the government to silence the press during the farmers strike.

This government is capable of anything including violence against protesters if they feel this serves their ends.

Quote StanExpat

I have been to many anti government demonstrations including the famous 300 thousand people rally On Avenida Libertador near La Rural. There was I repeat very few police and absolutely not one incident of violence used against anyone for expressing their freedom of expression. This is a free society with IMHO the worlds most opiniated people . Hardly a sign of a cowered society as expressed by another one of your misleading posts.

By the was would George Bush allow such a large rally in Washington that would block off the second largest avenue for many hours?

OMG, think about this: the average Argentine complains that there are illegals here coming from Bolivia, Peru, Paraguay that live in the villas, make their living dealing drugs, etc and that the government doesn´t do anything about it, etc, etc, could you imagine if they actually gave an amnesty to US expats??? that would e such a good media shock, a lot of people would just love to see it! Go for it!

People can believe whatever nonsense they want about freedom in Argentina and the fine government there. Another example of the government promoting freedom of expression can be found below in the Argentine Post, where it's being reported that the government is trying to block access to information about public officials in Argentina.

Stanexpat said:
People can believe whatever nonsense they want about freedom in Argentina and the fine government there. Another example of the government promoting freedom of expression can be found below in the Argentine Post, where it's being reported that the government is trying to block access to information about public officials in Argentina.

Freedom is not an absolute right anywhere, it is just an utopy, doesn´t exist here, doesn´t exist in the US, Europe, Asia, or anywhere. All societies are imperfect, so I do not really get your point (?)

Back