Ask for residency - Patria Grande - Extra Mercosur

nikad said:
Freedom is not an absolute right anywhere, it is just an utopy, doesn´t exist here, doesn´t exist in the US, Europe, Asia, or anywhere. All societies are imperfect, so I do not really get your point (?)

Not responding to your post but to others who seem to believe there is unrestricted or even promoted freedom of expression in Argentina.

His point Nikad is that the USA is the most perfect society on earth fullstop....................................................................................................................

pericles said:
His point Nikad is that the USA is the most perfect society on earth fullstop....................................................................................................................

The fact that some countries are more structured, enforce the law, etc, doesn´t mean at all that there is more freedom of speech in any way. I still see how some foreigners blush or giggle when they hear for the first time in the lives, some uncensored songs on the radio, or movies on TV, etc... Also you have to start wondering if such tight societies are any good, as in some countries people suicide more because theirs lives are so predictable ;) It is good to love your country though, just like loving your mom, but that doesnñt mean you can´r be critical.

Stanexpat said:
Not responding to your post but to others who seem to believe there is unrestricted or even promoted freedom of expression in Argentina.

Unrestricted is anywhere, it is true however that this government doens´t promote it, that doesn´t mean it isn´t in the Constitution: it is an aquired right according to the laws-.

Davidglen77 said:
Some of you might be aware of this, but citizens of bordering countries that are part of Mercosur are allowed to get residency fairly easily. There is a program called "Patria Grande" in Migraciónes, which allows this fairly easily. Citizens of countries that are not part of Mercosur (called Extra Mercosur), such as those in Europe, United States, etc. have different and more difficult requirements.

I am sure there are some people here such as myself, who would like to live and settle in Argentina forever. I am from the United States and have been here for 1.5 years and never want to leave. I love Argentina!

Would anybody be interested in collectively asking the government to grant us residency under "Patria Grande"? I would say we could go to Plaza de Mayo, stage a peaceful demonstration, and ask that we be allowed to stay and get residency? Make some signs, sing some songs, prove that we will be outstanding citizens and show our love for Argentina? Anybody game?

One thing is that it is far easier for foreigners to gain legal residency in Argentina than it is for them to do so in your home country the United States.

Another thing is that it is far easier for foreigners to live illegally in Argentina than it is for them in the USA.

The third thing is that the USA does not give Argentinians any privileges over people from other nations when it comes to immigration.

Seeing how these three things do apply I have to say that I don't think that you are picking the right fight here, since immigration in the USA is far harder than it is in Argentina I think that you should focus your energy on the problems associated with immigration into the USA instead of attempting to appeal to Kirchners good nature regarding immigration into Argentina cause how on earth would it be fair if Argentina was to make things even easier for foreigners while its own citizens face locked gates everywhere?

good point elpanada, It is also much easier to obtain tourist and work visa in Argentina.

Dear David :
I think it´s no matter about freedom of expression but efficiency. I can remember ony two demonstrations that get the power to change a law. One was witrh Blumberg and the other with the Campo fight. Both gathered up to 100.000 supporters on the street. Despite of your good will, it seems difficult you can join equal quantitiy of extra mercosur expats.
Patria grande is a program to order millions of border countries citizens that lived, in some cases, for years here. But our constitution says (I`m argie) that Argentina is open to all men who want to live on argentine soil, so, just as an idea, perhaps you can go to INADI (national office against discrimination) and tell you are in a harder situation in comparison to other foreigners like bolivians. In other hand, it is more expensive, but a lawyer may get an "amparo" for you in order to be under Patria Grande program.
Good luck

I think you have a few options: 1)Wait. Every few years the government seems to allow illegals to come forward and get residency. 2)Marry an Argentine / Do a Civil Union with an Argentine. The Civil Union doesn't get you a DNI but I believe it allows you to stay in the country and start the process. Although then you'd think a Certificado de Convivencia would allow the same rights... so investigate further on the government website. 3) Has anyone ever investigated residency for Uruguay? I wonder if this may be an option... I realise you want to stay in Argentina, but considering the hardships some people go through to move to other countries, a couple of years in Montevideo would not be that bad! I have never looked into Uruguay, but they have a small population, good tax laws... maybe their processes are easier?? And then of course you'd be Mercosur... will be curious to hear if anyone has ever investigated this.

Otherwise I think you need to get to every networking event possible between now and the time your DNI expires!

First I want to thank everyone for their passion and expressing their opinions both for and against my ideas, yes even you Stanexpat.

So who is for doing this? Again, this is NOT a protest. It would be a march of somesort, I propose we start in plaza de Mayo in front of the Casa Rosada and make our way to Congreso? We can make signs about how much we love and appreciate this great country and maybe they will consider us? Who out there is brave enough besides me a transplanted New Yorker?

Back