At home security -- Locks

surfing

Registered
Can some of you hardware experts help me out with a technical question? Our neighborhood in Recoleta has seen an incredible rise in crime over the past year. To be honest, I don't worry about someone coming in and taking everything if we are out; my worry (and fear) is someone entering the apartment while we are at home!

I am going to put a couple of half-deadbolts (that can only be opened from the inside) on the front and back doors but in addition to that I am wondering about the security of my other standard deadbolts which both can be opened with a key from either side of the door. I believe that a huge number of the break-ins are happening with lock picking and lock bumping. My strategy has been to lock both deadbolts from the inside when we are home --- turning the key only once so the key can not be removed or forced out. Even if you have the key you can not open the door from the outside while the locks are in this position. Am I correct to assume then that anyone picking or bumping the locks would also be unsuccessful for the same reason?
I am sure somebody here probably had the answer and I hope to hear it as well as any other suggestions.

Our property was broken into in January, we live 500 miles north of BA in Corrientes, they stole our new backup generator. They jimmied the garage door and bypassed the alarm system, but didn't try to enter the house. NEvertheless, we were very upset and installed a couple of 1/2 inch bolts sort of like this design on the front door. One is at chest level, attached with 2 inch bolts into the cinderblock wall, the 2nd is at the bottom and fits into the concrete floor when engaged. There are even sturdier options, but sliding bolts are pretty easy to find across Argentina.

surfing said:
My strategy has been to lock both deadbolts from the inside when we are home --- turning the key only once so the key can not be removed or forced out. Even if you have the key you can not open the door from the outside while the locks are in this position. Am I correct to assume then that anyone picking or bumping the locks would also be unsuccessful for the same reason?

Bumping works with barrel locks... So if you have the old style locks, the ones you can see through the key hole to the other side, and you put a key in it, and turn 1/4 turn (90o) they can not put a key in the other side to unlock. These cant be bumped.

Barrel locks have 2 barrels, one on each side of the door (or push button one side), so if you have key in one side it makes no difference.. They can still bump it.. However with most dead bolts (well ones purchased in NZ), you need to do 2 full rotations of the key to lock and unlock, so this makes it slightly harder to bump.

The bolt above is pretty much useless on a wooden door, as the screws dont hold much, either on the door or jamb. A good wack and they come out. Something that is embedded in the door and jamb, or goes across the whole door are better options. You can also get bolts that you push up into the door frame, and down into the floor..

Another thing to consider is what if there is a fire or some other emergency in your house and you need to get out quick, you dont want to be looking for keys. Not that it makes much difference here, as most apt building doors that open onto the street need a key to get out. In most countries this is illegal to have in place.. Just look at all the people that were killed in a fire in a night club here because the fire exit doors were locked. However this is argentina and anything goes !!!!

davonz said:
Bumping works with barrel locks... So if you have the old style locks, the ones you can see through the key hole to the other side, and you put a key in it, and turn 1/4 turn (90o) they can not put a key in the other side to unlock. These cant be bumped.

Barrel locks have 2 barrels, one on each side of the door (or push button one side), so if you have key in one side it makes no difference.. They can still bump it.. However with most dead bolts (well ones purchased in NZ), you need to do 2 full rotations of the key to lock and unlock, so this makes it slightly harder to bump.

The bolt above is pretty much useless on a wooden door, as the screws dont hold much, either on the door or jamb. A good wack and they come out. Something that is embedded in the door and jamb, or goes across the whole door are better options. You can also get bolts that you push up into the door frame, and down into the floor..

Another thing to consider is what if there is a fire or some other emergency in your house and you need to get out quick, you dont want to be looking for keys. Not that it makes much difference here, as most apt building doors that open onto the street need a key to get out. In most countries this is illegal to have in place.. Just look at all the people that were killed in a fire in a night club here because the fire exit doors were locked. However this is argentina and anything goes !!!!
Thanks for the tips. I think the standard slide bolts won't work because my doors are not flush with the frames. So perhaps a bolt that pushes into the frame is a better idea anyway.

I just want to be sure that if someone is determined to get in they will have to make a helluva lot of noise doing it. Fortunately we also have a dog who alerts us to people in the hallway. (for any criminals reading this: yes, he does bite and will attack!)

We purchased a special security door. The price was somewhere around $5000ARS and this was 5 years ago. It has a special steel frame that had to be installed into the concrete structure and has pins that slide into holes in the frame on all four sides (think of a bank vault system). The lock mechanism can't be bumped or jimmied though I probably can't explain how that works exactly.

However, will all of the security technology that's available I still have the most faith in Sampson Goliath. He's our half-Pit Bull/half-German Shepherd brindle rescue that is worth his weight in gold. For all the food he eats he's sure cheap insurance. Even tough-guys give way when they see him coming. He's trained to bark at specific people on the street in response to my subtle hand/voice gesture and to bark at sounds in the hallway and then look at me for my cue. Typically, he's all tail-wags and slobber until I start giving commands in German and then he goes into "eat-the-bad-guy" mode. However, he does give free face kisses and hugs to nice people!

Sounds like your whoofie is on a similar page. :)

Back