ATM fees outrageous, solution?

What rate is Schwab giving right now?

Whenever I've checked the rates have been competitive.

My last atm withdrawl was two days ago if I remember correctly I got 4000p + 300? atm fee for $119.53usd. That's 35.97/usd.

Lets say that the fee was $10usd, when its refunded at the end of the month the transaction will be 4000p for $109.53 or 36.51p/usd.

I used Xoom for several years, I got my money but it was much less convenient than atms, they required periodic proof of the source of my income, there were usually lines at their offices, they were closed at night and holidays.

Last edited:
Can you send money to yourself with RIA?

You can (or at least you could four or five years ago) if you use a VPN that makes it appear that you are in the USA when you make the transfer and you have a US phone number (available on Skype) for RIA to call to verify your identity.

What about Bitcoin? Is it easy/reliable to sell in Buenos Aires? Can you sell only for pesos or are there people who would buy for dollars?

Amazed to see $10 fees for each transaction at Banelco ATM's. And I assume the limit of any one transaction is 5000 pesos? This makes it very hard to have access to my own money without confiscatory fees.

What's the solution? Any ATM's that don't have this fee?

Can you still send money to yourself with Xoom or Ria or Western Union (do any of them work)?

Thanks for any advice, I'm sure others could use this advice as well.

What about Bitcoin? Is it easy/reliable to sell in Buenos Aires? Can you sell only for pesos or are there people who would buy for dollars?
if you figure out how to do it this way let me know. i'm wanting to do the opposite, buy bitcoins here to sell in the US but the problem i've had so far is trying to establish an account with an exchange here locally to do this, can't do it as a US citizen. at least in the two i've found so far.

if you figure out how to do it this way let me know. i'm wanting to do the opposite, buy bitcoins here to sell in the US but the problem i've had so far is trying to establish an account with an exchange here locally to do this, can't do it as a US citizen. at least in the two i've found so far.

I mean by using localbitcoins ofc ...doing it directly with someone privately.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Expat Life 10
S Expat Life 34
S Expat Life 40
C Expat Life 25
D Expat Life 8
Back