ATM machines and USD

Lee said:
You simply need to tell them that since you do not have access to dollars they will have to accept accept what you do have access to and that is the local currency of the country - Pesos.

Next, you will both need to determine where you are going to get the conversion rate for the day that you pay the rent as it varies daily. That is where the tricky part comes in...some shady landlords (which are the vast majority of them) will insist on a higher rate than is published (for example at a bank) claiming that it is to make up for the conversions that they will have to do converting the pesos into dollars.

Truth is that they are trying to avoid paying taxes and never intend on dealing with a bank at all..hence them wanting the payment in US dollars to start with. They can then more easily take the cash to Miami where they will deposit it their US bank account and avoid Argentine banks altogether.

Lee -

The problem is that I've got about 2 weeks till 'signing day' and they informed me about 2 weeks ago that it would have to be in dollars. Do you think I should just wait till I meet the actual owner of the apartment on signing day to basically tell him "take it or leave it?" I tried to tell the woman at the agency that this would be a problem, and she said that we'd gotten a discount for offering to pay up-front, and they only accept payment in dollars, so it was our problem.

To pay my rent in dollars, I withdraw pesos from the ATM inside a Supervielle bank on J.B. Justo. I then take them to a teller, who converts them into dollars at the posted rate. It isn't necessary to have an account. I do not.

This is certainly a simple, easy way to get dollars. I'm new here, so I may be missing something, but I hope this helps.

Several Casas de Cambio on Reconquista, Peron, and Mitre.

I would use the "Paris Exchange" (or similar name) on Reconquista & Sarmiento.

Suerte

I am sure that your landlord knows that it is illegal to demand payment in anything other than the Peso. Many set the price in dollars but accept the Peso equivalent
But if the guy is stupid enough the set the price in dollars and demand payment in dollars and puts that in writing, then you don't have a legal contract.
But........this is Argentina and nothing ever goes by the books.

Ghost - not illegal for a short-term rental. BradleyHale just pulled out the relevant law the other day on a thread.

short-term rentals can be charged in dollars.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Expat Life 8
M Expat Life 20
Stafford Expat Life 7
E Expat Life 6
M Expat Life 9
Back