ATM Machines

El_Jefe

Registered
I don't want to be a nervous nellie or anything like that but I just wanted to share with other Expats an experience I had in the past couple days. I tried to take money out of an ATM and the machine said "sorry I cannot complete this transaction" One of the three times it sounded like the machine was counting the money and the other two times it didn't.

When I went home and checked my account the money was deducted from my account even though the machine did not dispense it. I was able to call the bank and get it straightened out through their dispute department.

I wanted to post it here in case any other expats get the "i'm sorry I cannot do that transaction right now" message they can go check their online statement and make sure the machine does not say they got the money when in fact they didn't.

Maybe it's just bad luck but it's now happened to me three time in two days!!! Had I not checked my online banking I would have been out U$1,500

Are you sure the transactions went through, and weren't just "pending"?

I cancelled a transaction once on an ATM here and a "pending" transaction showed up and stayed for a few days before disappearing.

they definitely were posted as if the machine dispensed the money. I've been on the phone with the bank's dispute department for the last 1/2 hour. They said they have heard of cases where the machine was tampered with so the money gets stuck and then when you walk away someone unlocks it and takes your money out. At this time they don't know what happened and the dispute department must investigate. Again, I post this not to get anyone worried but thought it was worthwhile in case it happened to anyone else they can check their account to make sure they don't get stiffed.

they put a card just on the money is dispensed. Could be of metal or cardboard. It is starting to be an issue in Santiago, Chile, as well. You should check that the money dispenser is clear before attempting to withhold the money on any ATM.

It sounds like a higher level of tampering than just jamming the dispensing slot if you get a message on the screen saying they can not do the transaction. I have gotten similar messages,(possibly the machine is out of money) but fortunately the transaction never appeared on my bank statement.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Expat Life 8
M Expat Life 24
Stafford Expat Life 7
B Expat Life 17
M Expat Life 9
Back