ATM receipts with dollar withdrawal

comicerrant1

Registered
Hi, everyone.

I searched through the forum before deciding to post, because I assumed that the issue had been mentioned to death...

BUT

I will be leaving from EZE with nothing more than a $2 bill and a couple thousand pesos. While I could NOT find the receipt from buying pesos in the airport on day one, i DID find an old receipt from an ATM, that clearly shows that US dollars were withdrawn.

If I present this receipt in EZE, will i be able to exchange pesos for an equal or lesser amount that appears on the ATM receipt? Any information will be appreciated.

You were able to draw out dollars from an ATM here? To me this indicates you have a USD account at a bank here, in which case, you should be able to go to them and get the pesos exchanged.

An ATM receipt that would allow you to potentially get dollars at EZE would need to show that you took OUT said pesos.

Otherwise, it will probably be pretty complicated. I've seen some posts about people who had their banks verbally agree that they would exchange large quantities of pesos but no idea if this worked. If your bank will agree to this, get it in writing.

Thanks for the response. The USD account is from the States, not a bank here. And yes, back in January when i first arrived i was able to take out dollars for about a week, then the option to withdraw in dollars disappeared.

So, presenting an ATM receipt that shows an equal or greater amount of PESOS being withdrawn is enough to change them for dollars?

Hmmm, I'm guessing it was either an HSBC or Citi account drawn on same bank here? In general I didn't think a foreign account could draw out USDs... (ergo, so many tourists/expats running into problems with rent in USD). Honestly not sure what to tell you about that.

It's not necessarily enough but it's certainly the minimum. If you are dealing with a lot of pesos not sure it would work... the provision as I understand it is basically to refund tourists for pesos they took out to spend. Having a large amount of pesos would indicate a source of income or sale and basically, that is what all this hoopla is trying to control (undeclared/untaxed income).

There are certainly others who can advise you better on this but personally, I would go the route of talking to your bank at home. There will be no guarantees at the airport.

Neither Citi nor HSBC allow dollar withdrawals from US accounts. I can not imagine any way this would have been possible in January. I think the OP may be mistaken. Perhaps he/she was in Uruguay in January?

You will NOT be able to get US Dollars at EZE.

It's that simple.

OP: What does your receipt say exactly? I assume you realize the $ sign is used for pesos.

@surfing..yes...i realized that my receipt is stating pesos, but assumed that the point wasn´t worth clarifying.

Fact of the matter is at the Citi bank on Paseo Colon, in san telmo i briefly was given the option to withdraw US dollars, to settle that issue, back at the end of january.

So, what i do have are 2 atm receipts--one for 600 pesos and one for 2400 pesos--an expired tourist visa, and about 4000 pesos that are of no use to me after next week when i return to New England. I am just looking for a way to effectively cash out in Argentina without sacrificing my pesos to the 6.5 exchange or whatever the street is offering.

The machine might have been offering the OPTION to withdraw dollars but it would have never worked unless you have a local US dollar account in Buenos Aires. Tourists would have never been able to withdraw dollars.

You can try to use those ATM receipts but they will probably fight you tooth and nail. I don't think anyone can tell you for sure if they will allow it or not. The best thing is to go there and try with the receipts.

You can try, but chances are they're not going to give you any dollars for those pesos.

My suggestion for any tourist (or anyone else for that matter) is to never exchange for more pesos than you're sure you'll need. Dollars are always good, pesos, not so much. :p

Back