ATM Update

I use Wells Fargo in the USA for my home account & have a $320 daily withdrawl limit. I have found that at HSBC, Banco Frances, Santander Rio, Banco Patagonia & Galicia all allow me to extract up to 700 pesos at a time and Wells Fargo charges me $5 USD per withdrawl. When I tried to use CitiBank, Republic Bank of Argentina or Banco Piano they limit me to 320 pesos...

buenosairesmike said:
Hey, I'm confused, although that's not unusual. From Balenco ATMs I have been withdrawing up 300 pesos,
It depends on your card.

My Euro-/Master has a limit of 370, my VISA 600 - both credit. (as per test in Banco de Estado Argentina)

I found this out by starting at my optimum fee/amount (2% fee, minimum DKK 50) at DKK 2,500 (AR$ 1,800) and reducing the amount by steps of AR$ 100, reducing to 10 when I got below 500 AR$.

No risk of a block as long as I use the correct PIN, it only says that I have 0.00 on my account, then return card - next try. Try again - and again, while the queue was growing until they gave me up as extranjero estúpido and moved to an other queue.

Add: Now I use Western Union, where my optimum tranfers (9,800 ; 13,500 and 14,500 AR$) cost 4.6%

Add: If only I could get a bank account (have only a tourist visa), the price for a transfer (any amount) would be 66 AR$

my husband has a bank account and (still) a tourist visa...(about to change soon, we hope :eek: ,the visa I mean).
He does have a company in BA so I suppose he has some kind of other registration (I can not keep up with all those different names of registrations in Argentina), that I don't have as I am not even allowed to have a 'poder' on that account. I am 'just' the wife :eek: (must enjoy this as long as I can as this means he has to stand in line at the bank and not me :D)

katti said:
... he has to stand in line at the bank and not me :D)
Aren't you a bad girl ? :D in particular when we combine the above with your
katti said:
frying pan. hmm. interesting! :D
Shocking, women, these days, don't know what shall become of the world!

<Picture of Victorian age gent expressing his opinion of the London sufragettes, in Oxford English (picture of gent lacking in list of smilies) :D>.

Mad? If you think I am mad - why, you have come to the right person - as a hatter, actually.

I took out money from the Banco Comafi on Cerrito near La Recova mid-week without any US$3 charges, but when I tried at the BNP Paribas on the corner of Av. Alvear and Cerrito, it tried to charge the Link fee no matter which network button that I selected (Banelco, Link, or otherwise). Is it possible that a ATM that uses both Banelco *and* Link enforces the Link fee, but banks that use only Banelco don't?

I'm afraid that I can't test this theory any more as we've returned to the US. Anyone else care to test it?

But I will add here, for anyone that reads this far, that PNC Bank in the US is one of those that doesn't have any charges of any kind for withdrawing money from ATMs in Argentina (and with the right account, refunds all 'foreign' transaction fees in the US). I literally made several hundred withdrawals over the last 10 months in Buenos Aires with *no* fees of any kind (percentage, fixed fee, transmission, anything), and the exchange rates always ran right at the mid-point of the buy/sell rates listed on places like Pagina12 for that day. I did hit both machine and daily limits at various times, but machine limits were easily avoided by making multiple withdrawals at the same time, which I tended to do anyway as I always took at something like 190 then 90 just to get the smaller bills. Highly recommended!

It appears that LINK ATMs are the ones to avoid. Does anyone know which system Banco galicia uses, I think it is Banelco?

Banco Galicia is Banelco. Also, with the Schwab atm card, you can withdraw two withdrawals of 600 pesos in a row.

Galicia charges the fees as well.

I can now take out 700 pesos at a time BUT my card now doesn't work at random ATMs. I was in HSBC yesterday & the first ATM machine gave me an error message and that my card wasn't able to be used. (It wasn't an issue with the machine, someone right after me with a local account withdrew money). But the ATM next to it took my card. This has happened to me at multiple ATMs ever since they instituted the new fee - how/why I have no idea.

Citibank also has randomly lowered the limits - I was able to take out $3000 pesos at a time, now it seems to be $1500. But no one at Citi could explain how/why this was and if it was permanent change or just temporary.

I was able to withdraw $800.00 in 1 shot from the HSBC bank machine at Ezeiza on Thursday afternoon (30/07) The fee imposed was $11.46.
Charles Schwab cards are issued by PNC Bank; Charles Schwab is a stock broker, not a bank. I am charged US$1.50 for every atm withdrawl. Since I (an American) live in a foreign country I am charged an annual fee of $100.00. Thanks, Charlie.

Back