ATM withdrawals/fees, again

I went through ATM shennanigans recently, trying to get money to pay 4 months rent in advance. Had a 500 limit at all banelco machines, but could take out my UK daily limit at any machine that let me choose VISA as the network to withdraw from. Some cashmachines let you choose your network. There's a banco ciudad near me that I can take out 1500 a day from if I choose VISA. Depends on the type of card you have I think. Failing all this you can buy USD with a credit or debit card from banco piano and pay the dollar price for any large transactions - its a way of getting around the cash machine limit.

Best of luckjp

"jp" said:
I went through ATM shennanigans recently, trying to get money to pay 4 months rent in advance.
Had a 500 limit at all banelco machines, but could take out my UK daily limit at any machine that let me choose VISA as the network to withdraw from.
Some cashmachines let you choose your network. There's a banco ciudad near me that I can take out 1500 a day from if I choose VISA.
Depends on the type of card you have I think.
Failing all this you can buy USD with a credit or debit card from banco piano and pay the dollar price for any large transactions - its a way of getting around the cash machine limit.

Best of luck
jp
JP
What was your per transaction limit? $300 pesos or 600 pesos per transaction?
Ghost

I tried several ATM's yesterday and they were all 300 pesos maximum. ¡Que lastima!

Actually, Ghost, this is not the embassy's email address. This is the email address for the Public Diplomacy section's Information Resource Center (IRC), which would have nothing to do with this issue. If the embassy had any control over the issue of ATM withdrawals, and I can't see how it would, it would be the general contact address, not the IRC address. I hope readers won't bombard the IRC email address with an issue they can do nothing about.

"HDM" said:
Actually, Ghost, this is not the embassy's email address. This is the email address for the Public Diplomacy section's Information Resource Center (IRC), which would have nothing to do with this issue. If the embassy had any control over the issue of ATM withdrawals, and I can't see how it would, it would be the general contact address, not the IRC address. I hope readers won't bombard the IRC email address with an issue they can do nothing about.
Prehaps, but I received a very prompt reply from the Embassy [within an hour or so] that they are looking into the matter again. It was stated in their prior newsletter that they were aware of the problem and had contacted Visa and Master and had actually made some headway as the limits were raised to $200 USD per transaction as opposed to the $100 limit we currently have in place.
However if you have a better email address please post it.

This page offers contact information for the variety of issues and reasons one might have for contacting the US embassy.

http://argentina.usembassy.gov/contact-us.html

I am surprised you got a response on this issue from the IRC staff. This has nothing at all to do with what they do. Actually, the IRC staff is comprised entirely of Argentine nationals, no Americans work in the IRC. There is an an American public diplomacy officer with overall responsibility for the IRC staff in the entire region, including Argentina, but that person is not part of the IRC staff. If you got an email from a staff member in the IRC about atm withdrawal limits, that would be interesting indeed.

On the other hand, maybe they have been told if they get such requests, to just repeat what was in the general newsletter.

Good luck with this problem. Solving it would benefit very many people.

My response came from American Citizen Services. And this issue would be something under their area of concern. Maybe they forward emails to the proper handlers. That would seem logical????????????????
Sounds to me like you might be with the embassy. You seem to know the department structures.

Yes, this is more appropriate for American Citizens Services department, and they can be reached from the contact page link I posted previously. They would not forward it, I believe because for this sort of problem they are the proper handlers. All I wanted to do was correct the email address you offered so the IRC staff, who cannot do anything about this problem, would not suddenly receive a flood of emails about it. Good luck trying to get the credit card companies to work on the problem, which originates with Argentine banks, not Visa or Mastercard.

Back