Atm Withdrawals, Schwab Cards And The New Exchange Rate...

Taxi fares really depend where you are.

Taxi fares also go up significantly after hours. I'm not sure what time they go up or how much, it seems about 30% (maybe someone can explain this? I'm usually plastered by that point)... all I know is that the fare from where I live to Palermo is about 70 pesos, and the fare back is closer to 100 late at night. Taking the same route, with no sneaky detours.

Re: El Alamo, I've always avoided that place (I usually stay away from expat-only bars, unless I'm in a country where they're the only place with air conditioning -- and if I really care to watch a game on a big screen I'll usually go to Sugar or Casabar). The main reason I've stayed away from Alamo is that several unrelated people have told me that the beers there are spiked with something, and everything goes wobbly after their first pint. Maybe it's just a malicious rumor, but I've heard this story separately from an Argentine, a German and a girl from the States.

All the talk of pre-partying is good, too, but I don't keep alcohol in my house... mostly to prevent a Leaving-Las-Vegas type situation. So if you want to get a cheap buzz on while you're out before hitting an expensive club, I suggest happy hour at Antares. Pro alcoholic tip: If you're anywhere in the vicinity of a Milanesa Club they have strong mixed drinks in mason jars for an astonishing 28 pesos from 6-8pm. Granted that's early, but you can get loaded at US$2.50 per rum & coke, offset with some cheap deep-fried meat and your only challenge at that point is staying awake for a few hours until things get interesting.

taxi fares go up at night because taxi drivers have to drive home a load of expats who are the worse for wear...

TTR funny you say that, expat and local mates I have gone to Alamo with both think the same - the booze seems to be 3x as strong haha.

El Alamo was an expat bar many years ago. The young folk that go there now may be a bit upset that they are thought of as expats considering they are about 90% Argentinos with a small mix of others including expats from South America and all over...the only ones I ever see waiting outside the door are Argentinos by the accents.

I know the owners of the Alamo quite well. They love the fact that people think the beer is spiked - it adds to the "mystique". And they didn't have to do anything...no, the beer is not spiked. Maybe it's the ambiance that does it, or mental suggestion, who knows.

El Alamo was an expat bar many years ago. The young folk that go there now may be a bit upset that they are thought of as expats considering they are about 90% Argentinos with a small mix of others including expats from South America and all over...the only ones I ever see waiting outside the door are Argentinos by the accents.

I know the owners of the Alamo quite well. They love the fact that people think the beer is spiked - it adds to the "mystique". And they didn't have to do anything...no, the beer is not spiked. Maybe it's the ambiance that does it, or mental suggestion, who knows.

This is by far your best post so SHORT and concise...!

Happy New Year...! :D

For those having trouble with limits - Santander Rio's limit is 2000 pesos per withdrawal. I go there w/ my Schwab card. Transaction fee is 79 pesos.

and the rate?? tks

As stated before, Schwab uses visa's rate, which fluctuates daily and you can check online using the link I and others have given. Call your bank and figure out whether you use visa mastercard or some other rate.

This Unique ATM operates on Banelco or Link or perhaps another Unique system and has a unique Menu that gives the Option Pesos or Dollars?? Its an ATM gone AWOL..

There is an ATM near my house in micro centro where the display shows the option for dollars but it does not give out dollars. Or at least it hasn't the past 3 years.. who know what to expect now.

When I used to get money out of cash machines, at least 4 if not 5 or 6 years ago the last time, since 2006 when I came here, the ATMs always had an option to withdraw in dollars. As I understood it, you had to have a local account in dollars to get dollars. I was never able to get dollars out of an ATM then and never knew anyone who could.

Back