ATMs/ Banks

elanastephanie

Registered
Hello everyone,
My gf and I are traveling down to BA to teach English for a number of months and I realized I didn't know if I would be able to use my ATM card there!? We have Citizens and Bank of America, not that the banks really matter. Does anyone know if we'd have to put money in a different bank down there in order to use an ATM/deposit money/etc? Or can our cards be accepted by the ATMs?

Thanks so much for help!

There is usually a limit of 300 pesos that can be withdrawn at a time with foreign ATM cards, with fees, which becomes expensive. For me it works out about 30 pesos in fees each withdrawal.
But there is citibank down here, which i have been told you can withdraw 2000 pesos with an overseas citibank card..
Also HSBC here, but not sure if that has the same withdrawal limit as citibank.

We have BOA debit cards and we don't have any problem withdrawing $$$$. But, we get hit with service fees and foreign transaction fees everytime we use them...

That's a lot in fees. ..what's best to do , in your opinion? Are there places to change in dollars for pesos? Where would be the best place with the best exchange rate?

I have an HSBC french debit card and last time i tried, i took 1000 pesos off the nearest HSBC agency in one time (the maximum might be more but i didnt try since i didnt need more). I checked my online account a few days later, and i was not charged any kind of fix or proportional change commission, just the rate of the day.

I don t even have a real bank account with HSBC in France, just an online savings account.

If you are from the US you can each open a brokerage account with Charles Schwab and then set up a money link checking account. You can transfer funds directly from you regular bank into your Schwab account on line and without charge. You will receive ATM cards you can use here without any charges. The Schwab accounts are safe and you never have to buy any stocks.

They also have the best customer service reps in the world.

davonz said:
There is usually a limit of 300 pesos that can be withdrawn at a time with foreign ATM cards, with fees, which becomes expensive. For me it works out about 30 pesos in fees each withdrawal.
But there is citibank down here, which i have been told you can withdraw 2000 pesos with an overseas citibank card..
Also HSBC here, but not sure if that has the same withdrawal limit as citibank.

At every machine I have used (that wasn't out of order) I was able to withdraw $700 pesos each time. And I am using a Bank of America card.

I have always been able to withdraw $900 pesos at a time at Citibank mostly, but in other places, too. I click on the other amount. I tried to enter amounts higher than that, but it seems it is my max. I have an unknown credit union account in the US. I have been withdrawing this way since mid 2008. The only thing that has changed is the fee on the Argentine side went from 0 to 15+ pesos! So I am looking to get on the Schwab bandwagon ---and soon!

Anyone know if the Schwab "trick" works with E*Trade? And did Schwab issue atm cards?

Back