Atm's In Ba, For An Irishman

Thanks guys!! delighted with all the feedback, some other sites are useless!!

Cant wait to arrive, i know it wont be easy but hoping to do a year so it will be an experience!

speaking as an irishman...

Yes, take as much as you can obviously, and the Uruguay Bank option is also good. Tuesday is a quiet day, and they are always well stocked,no crazy queues, as over the weekend they can be empty.. (and the staff in Migraciones always seem nicer at this time.)

If you have a relative in the UK i would send to them and have them send to you via Azimo.com, as azimo dont allow transfers from Irish accounts yet. but there is the £500Stg a month limit to deal with.
Their rates were always better than exchange4free when i checked.

speaking as an irishman...

Yes, take as much as you can obviously, and the Uruguay Bank option is also good. Tuesday is a quiet day, and they are always well stocked,no crazy queues, as over the weekend they can be empty.. (and the staff in Migraciones always seem nicer at this time.)

If you have a relative in the UK i would send to them and have them send to you via Azimo.com, as azimo dont allow transfers from Irish accounts yet. but there is the £500Stg a month limit to deal with.
Their rates were always better than exchange4free when i checked.

If you register a copy of your passport , the GBP 500 limit is raised to GBP 5,000

Also, something to be aware of:

(haven't seen it discussed much here recently b/c no one uses ATMs any longer, but it still applies I think)

There was a ARS 1k limit per transaction on ATM withdrawals. Actually, I think it may have been USD100, converted at the official rate (which now would be around ARS 500). I think this limit still applies, so be prepared for it.

I've heard stories that there are magical ATMs without this limit, but I've yet to find one that actually works (at least for Irish ATM cards, namely BOI and ulster bank). You can generally make 2 or 3 withdrawals per day though.

Also, ATMs will randomly refuse to give you money (often stating that you don't have sufficient credit), for no apparent reason and with little pattern that I could see. So don't ever ever rely on them working.

Mentioning this just in case you decide to use the ATMs in the beginning.
But, as everyone else said: don't. They're just too expensive.

Also, when bringing cash, exchange your euros for dollars in Ireland first. You'll get a (slightly) better rate for dollars here, and they're easier to exchange.

WingAndAPrayer, just to clarify why you don't want to use the ATMs here:

The official exchange rate for the US Dollar right now is about 5.82 pesos to the dollar, thanks to the government's attempts to keep their irons in the fire as long as they can with no thought (or no care) to what it does to the citizenry here. That is the exchange rate that the ATMS offer (give or take). GB Pound is currently officially 9.28 pesos to the Pound.

According to DolarBlue.net, the black market ("blue") dollar rate is about 9.4 pesos to the dollar or so (you have to average things to get what's generally accepted on the street - I got 9.5 a week ago at my cueva, wiring the money in, but that's a wholesale operation) and the GB Pound is about 15.15 pesos to the Pound.

If you change at the official rate (via ATMs), your money will be worth about 40% less than you could get it exchanging money with blue marketers. Of course, the problem, as stated, is actually getting your money into the country to begin with.

I haven't exactly followed the Uruguayan method of getting money from ATMs terribly closely, although there are some common sense issues that can be a bit obvious. One problem I'd have, personally, with going to Colonia is the cost. Of course, if it's the only way of getting money, there is no choice, but it's going to cost you at least (as of today) $500 pesos for a round trip to cross the bay and go to Uruguay. In dollars, that would be about $53. On top of that, you can only get out a certain amount per each transaction ($300 USD if I remember correctly), which means that whatever fees your bank charges, and whatever fees the local ATM charges, etc, will also be figured in. I'm not sure what the daily limit is - I know a guy who goes over there about twice a month and stays the night so he can get more money the following day - he has to factor in cost of hotel as well.

According to DolarBlue, the effective exchange rate in Uruguay, including all the fees associated with the banking transaction itself, is about $7.35, or roughly 22% less than the black market rate here. Factor in the Buquebus (the ferry company) tickets and possibly a hotel to beat the withdrawal limit per day and that effective exchange rate is even less. That is figured in dollars, to be sure, you might have better luck in the whole conversion process in your currency, but it will still come out less than if you had the cash here already and were looking only to change for pesos.

Like others have said, your best bet is to bring as much money as you can, and then find a way to get the money in your bank, for later, down here. I'm not one to encourage other people to break customs laws, but I know people who have secreted more than $10K USD on their persons when entering, that's up to you how you go about getting money into the country. You do take the risk of getting at least what is over 10K USD in value confiscated, but no one I know has ever been caught doing it. And they are more worried about foreign currency leaving the country than entering.

Also, Azimo seems like a pretty good bet (except for not accepting Irish bank accounts - that may cause you a problem as mentioned) for getting money down here. You won't get top rate, but after other methods of getting money here you'd probably profit better that way.

Money's just the first issue (and often the hardest to get around) when coming here. Make sure you are well-prepared to deal with as much as you can, before you come, or your year here could be a long one :)

One more thing: make sure that your bank in Ireland has an up to date mobile number for you.
I regularly (even after ~6 years here) get calls from them to verify that I was actually the one using the card. Granted, I travel a lot, but it seems that just using an Irish card (debit or credit) here rings alarm bells (at least the ones in Visa).

If they try to contact you, and fail, they'll cancel your card. You can scream at them on the phone for a while afterwards and they might (i.e. they have on one occasion for me) re-enable the card for a short period (a week or so), but likely you'll need to pick up a new one.

Also, something to be aware of:

(haven't seen it discussed much here recently b/c no one uses ATMs any longer, but it still applies I think)

There was a ARS 1k limit per transaction on ATM withdrawals. Actually, I think it may have been USD100, converted at the official rate (which now would be around ARS 500). I think this limit still applies, so be prepared for it.

I've heard stories that there are magical ATMs without this limit, but I've yet to find one that actually works (at least for Irish ATM cards, namely BOI and ulster bank). You can generally make 2 or 3 withdrawals per day though.

Also, ATMs will randomly refuse to give you money (often stating that you don't have sufficient credit), for no apparent reason and with little pattern that I could see. So don't ever ever rely on them working.

Mentioning this just in case you decide to use the ATMs in the beginning.
But, as everyone else said: don't. They're just too expensive.

Also, when bringing cash, exchange your euros for dollars in Ireland first. You'll get a (slightly) better rate for dollars here, and they're easier to exchange.

CitiBank ATMs, when I was last using them, were the only ATMs in Argentina, that I could find, that would allow more than 1000 pesos withdrawal per transaction. Of course, I haven't used an ATM in over 2 years due to the great variance between the official rate and the blue rate for dollars, so that may well have changed since then.

CitiBank ATMs would allow me to take, in one transaction, the entire daily amount that my bank would allow my ATM card to access. HOWEVER, IMPORTANT, you have to go to the CitiBank ATMs, not the Banelco ATMs (in the same little ATM room at each CitiBank location).

However, for all I know it might be that I was lucky having a US bank account and that was why I was able to get around the usual limit. I don't know that that has anything to do with it, but it might explain some discrepancies about who can access their full daily withdrawal amount.

Often ATMs are closed in the afternoon to stock money - they close all the banks' ATMs in a couple block radius to stock them, usually shortly after the bank itself closes. That can be aggravating if you need cash, trying to find one that is open or waiting for an hour or two so that all the banks' ATMs are reopened.

Also, if the ATM is getting low on cash the ATM will start restricting the upper limit of transactions.

And four times, in the 7 years I've lived here (5 years of which I was using ATMs) the ATM machinery turned over like it was counting bills, but not a single bill came out of the ATM, and my account was debited. Fortunately, every time I reported the issue at the bank and within a day or two my account was credited with the correct amount.

CitiBank ATMs would allow me to take, in one transaction, the entire daily amount that my bank would allow my ATM card to access. HOWEVER, IMPORTANT, you have to go to the CitiBank ATMs, not the Banelco ATMs (in the same little ATM room at each CitiBank location).

However, for all I know it might be that I was lucky having a US bank account and that was why I was able to get around the usual limit. I don't know that that has anything to do with it, but it might explain some discrepancies about who can access their full daily withdrawal amount.

I think that might be to do with your bank account, as you suggested.

I've tried the Citibank atm's on more than one occasion at more than one location (the magical non-banelco ones) without success. They gave me some kind of error (Error 37 comes to mind, it was something like that anyway).

Likewise though, it's been years since I've even tried, so this may be different now.

I think that might be to do with your bank account, as you suggested.

I've tried the Citibank atm's on more than one occasion at more than one location (the magical non-banelco ones) without success. They gave me some kind of error (Error 37 comes to mind, it was something like that anyway).

Likewise though, it's been years since I've even tried, so this may be different now.

Try $1500 instead of $25'00

Back