Dollars In Atm's

milanesas

Registered
Hi,
Has anyone found dollars in ATM's in Buenos Aires recently since the cepo ended? Alternatively has anyone brought in dollars using a service like Xoom or Western Union?
Thanks!

This is only a question asked about 50 times in the last couple of months it seems :D

The only way people have ever been able to get dollars out of cash machines here is to have a dollar account and get the dollars out of a machine at one of their branches. Even then, I've never known anyone who did it as of 9 years ago when I moved here, but I'm sure it was done at some point.

I don't think one will see the ability for people generally to be able to pull dollars out of ATMs in Argentina any time soon, if ever, Macri or no.

Did you all see where Macri has spent Central Bank reserves ($112M a couple of days ago, and another one days before but I don't remember how much) on maintaining the dollar undervalued, kind of like Cristina was doing (though granted she was doing it for a much longer time)?

Dollars out of ATMs in Argentina? When pigs fly...

Read the multitude of threads about Xoom and WU - they are going concerns as far as I know.

I have had accounts in U.S. banks in B.A. since 1980.It has NEVER been possible to get U$D out of ATMs here.
It was always over the counter using a bank teller for control
I doubt if it will ever be possible given the heavy use of cash here plus the real threat of theft using ATMs.

The only reason I thought it must have been possible to do so at some point is because many of the ATMs I used (before the cepo and the blue rate diverged so much some 4-5 years ago) offered withdrawals in dollars, although it never worked, obviously. I just figured the option was left over from a time when it was possible at least if you had a bank account in dollars with that particular bank.

It certainly was possible in the mid-1990s. I remember withdrawing some from an ATM at a filling station in San Isidro. This was using a credit card for a cash advance.

el rubio
. Maybe that was because you used a credit card if you don't mind my asking,where was the card issued ?
I did not use credit cards then .Although I had U$D Citibank accounts in B.A. and NYC.
Very interesting information.I stand corrected.
.I have gotten U.S. dollars out of ATMs in Costa Rica.so,I suppose it would eventually be possible in Argentina as well.

It certainly was possible in the mid-1990s. I remember withdrawing some from an ATM at a filling station in San Isidro. This was using a credit card for a cash advance.

El Rubio.....twenty years Ago....! so much has happened since! :rolleyes:

I have had accounts in U.S. banks in B.A. since 1980.It has NEVER been possible to get U$D out of ATMs here.
It was always over the counter using a bank teller for control
I doubt if it will ever be possible given the heavy use of cash here plus the real threat of theft using ATMs.

I know it was possible because I did so. From Sept 1999-Dec 2001, I withdrew $700/month to pay my rent in cash dollars for my apartment. The Banelco ATMs offered the option of pesos or dollars. I paid the rent for two years in dollars using my US debit card. I remember counting the bills in front of the owners at their apartment in the same building. This was before the days of heavy tourism for temporary rentals. I had no contract, paid month to month, and always in dollars I withdrew through a Banelco ATM.

Those were the days when the peso was equal to the dollar.

Back