Attacked in a "posh" bar called Mute in Las Canitas

I've had enough time to reflect on this entire episode and my original posting. I deeply apologize to any and all I might have offended and I regret posting which was made while covered in blood from a (albeit) small head wound and with a cracked rib and of course fueled by my own post incident drunk PTSD.

There were two clearly xenophobic articles in La Nacion today quoting politicians blaming foreigners for city crime. I figure this is CFK and her cronies warning most of us to get in line since I doubt very much the low level, violent criminal elements from Paraguay, Bolivia and Colombia read the papers much. First they threatened the rich living in closed neighborhoods about taking down the walls. Since most educated expats understand the world and oppose the current regime, I figure they are reminding us that they are in charge.

Another poster mentioned about their grandparents fleeing Europe ahead of Nazi persecution. For me anyway, this country feels more violent and fascist everyday. Clearly we're a long way from the Nazi era but this country ain't what it used to be (even a year ago).

I now see the bright side of being attacked. It shocked me out of my complacency and reminded me that it's time to go live someplace else. A place where, hopefully, I'll never hear about CFK and her idiot band of thieves, Tinelli and his idiot band of...ah well, idiots, Maradonna and his Jupiter-sized ego, a supreme court judge with a 250,000 USD ring, all the corruption, and all the other things that any civilized country just simply wouldn't tolerate.

Excellent! Welcome to the real world.

As per CFK, it's divide and conquer. Full blast.
On one side they'll want to open the borders and offer citizenship to neighboring countries immigrants in order to get more votes, on the other hand they will want us to be afraid of them.
Fear is a powerful tool. They will keep eroding our freedoms with more and more controls, supposedly to insure our safety. Yet no further action is taken.

LostinBA said:
I now see the bright side of being attacked. It shocked me out of my complacency and reminded me that it's time to go live someplace else. A place where, hopefully, I'll never hear about CFK and her idiot band of thieves, Tinelli and his idiot band of...ah well, idiots, Maradonna and his Jupiter-sized ego, a supreme court judge with a 250,000 USD ring, all the corruption, and all the other things that any civilized country just simply wouldn't tolerate.

Glad to see you come out the other side as you never seemed like a bitter or angry poster. Each of us has that "drop that overflows the glass" moment and we are glad it's just a shock and not a death or worse that helps us make the jump. As someone who fled last year but now loves to return temporarily for work and friends, it is actually ok to hear about the mad queen and her lackies...reminds you of the reasons you left and keeps your feet grounded in sanity and reality of a new place.

Ceviche said:
So where are you heading for @lostin BA

Don't quite know yet although I'm thinking that if the rental prices and Euro keep falling, Spain might present several great options. Also France (Pau, Entibes, Biarritz or Paris), Panama or Colombia (Medellin or Cartagena) are all options too...

Someplace with lots of good sailing and scuba diving would be grand so Panama is a great choice with 2 oceans within 2 hours drive apart...

LostinBA said:
Don't quite know yet although I'm thinking that if the rental prices and Euro keep falling, Spain might present several great options. Also France (Pau, Entibes, Biarritz or Paris), Panama or Colombia (Medellin or Cartagena) are all options too...

Someplace with lots of good sailing and scuba diving would be grand so Panama is a great choice with 2 oceans within 2 hours drive apart...

In Spain, close to Seville, Cadiz province. Furnished appt. 90sq metres, 400 euros + bills, furnished house 300sq metres + pool - 1500 euros + bills. Beaches of Cadiz, Chiclana, Puerto de Sta Maria max 30 mins. Tarifa great surf and sail option of course. Good luck in the choice. World is your oyster when work location doesnt matter...

LostinBA said:
Ok so I went out tonight to Las Canitas to celebrate a great month. I went to mute and bought a bottle of very expensive champagne for myself and immediately offered it to the couple beside me. It took the Argentine douche bag jealous ass*ole only about 15 minutes to attack me without provocation, slicing my scalp to the bone with the bottle and he robbed me of about 400 pesos. It didn't seem to matter to him that I was uninterested in his girlfriend (for obvious reasons). ie....I'm gay...had 0 interest in his gf.

These people are sh*t, I'm so outta here. You all can have this piece of sh*t county. It's only going to get worse and only because the people are crap. if you don' think so, just look around you. They care NOTHING about their neighbors...hence the constant dog shit in the street, constantly changing prices when they realize you're foreign. The fact is that they deserve everything they get and I hope they fuc*ing torture each other to death. As a country, they fuc*ng deserve to be thrown alive out of airplanes each and every one. Sounds cruel?! They fuc*ing invented it!!! They structure their entire lives on the most extreme beliefs, antagonizing each other until once side wants to torture the other. They're savages!!! These people deserve everything they get...the ones with money are, for the most part displaced white Europeans who somehow think the color of their skin gives them a patine of legitimacy . No! The fact is that YOU Argentines are savages. You threw people our of airplanes because you are SAVAGES! you blame everyone but yourselves for your economic collapse of 2001/2002 BECAUSE YOU ARE SAVAGES. Take responsibility! It was your fault! I had hope but now feel nothing but pity for you!!!

The police tonight just shrugged and admitted that they could do nothing. They basically admitted that the rich can do whatever they want without any prosecution. Remember that when you read about little girls going missing and even though some good people know exactly what happened (ie. the 8 y/o girl was raped, tortured and murdered), they can (and want to do) do NOTHING!!! I was bleeding like crazy and the police didn't really want to do anything...

This county is a piece of shit. I can't fuc*ing wait to get out if here. I hope they fuc*ing destroy themselves. The fact is that I know they will...

Maybe the guy was homophobic or just old fashioned.

Maybe he sensed your disdain for the people and the country.

I assure you smashing bottles over gay guys heads is not exclusive to BA.

Sounds like your ego is damaged more than your head. Don't be so generous in future and keep your expensive champagne to yourself.

Get well soon

LostinBA said:
Colombia (Medellin or Cartagena) are all options too...

Both Medellin and Cartagena are good options. I travel there often myself. Would not mind living there full time

LostinBA said:

I am in the same boat as you, due to the hassle of trying to get money into this place to pay the bills without being ripped off with fees etc i am leaving in a couple of days time to go home to work and think about my next move... this is after being here since jan 2007 for at least 6 months a year. Nothing bad has happened to me, except for my passport being pick pocketed, but i am just fed up with the constant hassle of everyday life here now, and also missing the ocean, and sailing and outdoors in general.

But the big question which i havent found the answer to is where to go next !!!!

Back