Tourist attacked in Palermo

thats my hood. looks like the cab driver texted forward the drop off point. rule 1 dont wear expensive. rule 2 dont walk around with an i 14 apple phone stuck to your ear. rule 3 pay attention at all times on the street. wow sorry he learned the hard way

There are some things that are simply not worth showing off on the street in this part of the world. By all means if you are going door-to-door to a "safe space" with your peers feel free to wear what you please, but walking around in public with a Rolex in Buenos Aires? Who are you aiming to impress by doing so anyway, a humble shop assistant who would need to save all their wages for three or four years just to afford one... rather vulgar, don't you think?

Even in London and Barcelona there are numerous gangs of organised criminals who specifically look out for and target people wearing high-end watches so much so that the official advice warns tourists against wearing them on the street to avoid falling victim. High-end watch wearers are a very quick way to make $30k+ with just a few hours of work and relatively little risk. The same thing happened here in recent years with a band of criminal who watched new arrivals come through the doors at Ezeiza Airport to see what they were wearing on their wrists and would follow their cars to rob, and unfortunately for one of their victims, kill them. Common sense costs less than any watch and can protect your investment better than any insurance policy.

sorry but i am feeling estupido. not buying a person from uruguay wears a real rolex watch in BA. its a fake china version. 150.00 at most

When we blame the tourist for wearing expensive watches or phones all we are doing indirectly is paving the way for even more criminal activities.
Every time we yield to certain actions , crime increases , many years ago we needed to put steel bars on our windows, then that wasn't enough so we installed cameras but that wasn't enough so we installed alarms and once again wasn't enough so we created whatsapp groups to check with our neighbors and all of this done on our dime, now and from sometime ago we are developing this attitude of blaming the victim for doing certain things that should not put your life in danger.
We are starting to see in some neighborhoods that people are fed up with this type of actions and beginning to fight back at the same time frown upon by all news outlets. So the question is, how much more are we willing to yield? lock your doors, be inside before dark, don't wear anything that might bring unwanted attention to yourself ,look both ways when you are leaving your house as if you were disembarking in Normandie, really? is that what we want? because everything indicates that we don't mind being hostages .
The penal code, the constitution , the bible, and all laws and regulations are nothing more than ink on paper if you think 911 will save you.

When we blame the tourist for wearing expensive watches or phones all we are doing indirectly is paving the way for even more criminal activities.
Every time we yield to certain actions , crime increases , many years ago we needed to put steel bars on our windows, then that wasn't enough so we installed cameras but that wasn't enough so we installed alarms and once again wasn't enough so we created whatsapp groups to check with our neighbors and all of this done on our dime, now and from sometime ago we are developing this attitude of blaming the victim for doing certain things that should not put your life in danger.
We are starting to see in some neighborhoods that people are fed up with this type of actions and beginning to fight back at the same time frown upon by all news outlets. So the question is, how much more are we willing to yield? lock your doors, be inside before dark, don't wear anything that might bring unwanted attention to yourself ,look both ways when you are leaving your house as if you were disembarking in Normandie, really? is that what we want? because everything indicates that we don't mind being hostages .
The penal code, the constitution , the bible, and all laws and regulations are nothing more than ink on paper if you think 911 will save you.
Blaming the victim is easier than actually solving the problem. A+ comment here.

Why wear a watch in 2023
In 2023 a cheap quartz watch new sells for under $5000 pesos. I would rather have that on my wrist than have a phone in my hand worth hundreds of USD. And grabbing a phone is so easy compared to getting a watch off. I rarely carry a phone unless it is needed. When on the street, all my attention is focused getting to the destination safely. The phone is a distraction that sabotages that goal.

sorry but i am feeling estupido. not buying a person from uruguay wears a real rolex watch in BA. its a fake china version. 150.00 at most

Mea Culpa. The article doesn't mention the watch make or if it was a knockoff ...? I mentioned Rolex "Maybe it was a Rolex" under question mark..?

Also a few weeks ago an elderly man was robbed on Guido & Rodriguez Peña , he resisted the attack with his cane , but was shot in the arm . He confided it was a fake Rolex watch..!

Back