Australian Election - 7 Sept

• Thread starter mellowshipslinky
  • Start date
Believe me you guys are missing nothing. We have wall to wall political ads here, the debate last night was about as stimulating as an episode of 'Home and Away' and we still have 4 weeks to go......reaches for the Kleenex.....it's enough to dive a girl to drink! Plus I have that terrible feeling that Rasputin...sorry Tony Abbott will get in unless Kevin 'Kardashian' can turn things around...it's enough to make you turn to the Greens! lol. Just to add, if your not already registered to vote its too late! lol

Believe me you guys are missing nothing. We have wall to wall political ads here, the debate last night was about as stimulating as an episode of 'Home and Away' and we still have 4 weeks to go......reaches for the Kleenex.....it's enough to dive a girl to drink! Plus I have that terrible feeling that Rasputin...sorry Tony Abbott will get in unless Kevin 'Kardashian' can turn things around...it's enough to make you turn to the Greens! lol. Just to add, if your not already registered to vote its too late! lol

If only Bob Brown was still around, Greens would be cleaning up. Milne just doesn't command attention and seems shallow.

YEs, agreed, Bob Brown had the stamina to shake the 'establishment'. I wonder what he's up to these days. Actually, once when I was staying in Tasmania, we had a garage sale,, surprise surprise, guess who turned up? Yours truly himself, he didn't buy anything though.. I have the highest respect for the man.I think he's irreplaceable.

Hey all,

I hope I know you all well enough to banter a little politics with you all.

As for the voting, if nobody has already posted it, check the Electoral Commission's website for deets: http://www.aec.gov.au
They are saying the electoral roll is closed for the upcoming election, so I'm not sure what that means for people overseas who havent yet changed their enrolment. I am one of them :huh:

I'm calling it early, Rudd is finished, it'll be a coalition victory. Not a landslide, but it will be comfortable.

Rudd struggled in the debate and his latest weak handed retort at comparing Abbott to Kennett's Victoria is a mere clutch at straws. He's desperate. Has lost alot of troops in the Gillard cleanout. His front bench is a full of peashooters with the exception of Beattie, who was a good recruit.

Abbott is no Angel though IMO, seems to be thin on policies. Both parties seems absolutely incapable of pricing in and presenting their policies in relation to the budget. Labor's new $30 billion black hole is a sheer embarrassment and an indictment on former treasurers Swan. They simply seem incapable of governing to standard atm.

The cupboard is bare in terms of political quality. I think Turnbull is the one shining light, I used to be a Bishop fan, but she's just a politician's politician now and seems to revel in smear and negativity, whilst struggling to wallpaper over her own gaffes.
Liberal's paid parental scheme is a sticking point for me though. $70,000 a year for a mum to look after her kids! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Some trivia: Someone once told me that former Greens leader Bob Brown was the doctor who signed the death certificate for Jimmy Hendrix. He happened to be the doctor on shift at the London hospital the night he was brought in OD'd.
Dont know if true - feel free to discredit my flimsy political historical sources.

I'm no Liberal (or Labor) fan, but given I get paid 70K for an office job I reckon Mums deserve 70K a year to look after their kids. Not that many women will be receiving the full 70K anyway as so few women in Australia earn 150K a year. They tend to save those jobs for the blokes, well according to the ABS. Parents are adding far more value to society than me and many other people on 70K so why shouldn't they be paid? Women shouldn't be penalised for taking time out of the workforce to raise the next generation. Granted it is a choice to have kids but we do need someone to pay taxes when us lot are retired, and it is high time we as a society stopped asking women to bear the brunt of all the unpaid work that is essential to keeping our society running. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Abbott gets in and delays the policy anyway siting unforseen economic problems. His cabinet hates the policy so no doubt he'll be under pressure to scrap it ASAP.

I'm calling it early, Rudd is finished, it'll be a coalition victory. Not a landslide, but it will be comfortable.

Rudd struggled in the debate and his latest weak handed retort at comparing Abbott to Kennett's Victoria is a mere clutch at straws. He's desperate. Has lost alot of troops in the Gillard cleanout. His front bench is a full of peashooters with the exception of Beattie, who was a good recruit.

Abbott is no Angel though IMO, seems to be thin on policies...

1) Rudd was only ever brought in to save the furniture. Nobody thought he could actually win. The sudden Labor swing was unexpected in size and seemed to raise a bit of incautious optimism. Well, Rupert took care of that...I anticipate a 10 seat Lib majority. The interesting bit is that despite Labor's manifest shortcomings and relentless infighting throughout the last three years, the polls are still within the margin of error of 50-50. On the electorate's obvious disquiet concerning Abbott, the Murdoch press has little to say.

2) Beattie, while a vote magnet, was a disaster in Queensland. Bungling incompetence of epic proportions. Couldn't even keep the lights on. Penny Wong on the other hand exudes intelligence and quality.

3) Abbott seems to be thin on policies?! I don't mind a bit of understatement myself, but that's taking things to a subterranean level.

Only another 3 weeks of soon to be broken promises and budget blow outs to go, so I thought I'd provide one of the lighter moments from the campaign trail. This week Tony Abbott got his English slightly skewed. Poor chap must have gone to bed with a copy of "Grey's Anatomy" the night before!! The mind boggles!! Enjoy :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9ohwkNTixY

Just think, our poor American cousins have to face one whole year out of every 4 of these gaffes!!

Back