Australian tourist stabbed in Recoleta neighborhood.

Has happened everywhere.. La Boca, Recoleta, Plaza San Martin, Hotel Faena, San Telmo. These are major incidents with excessive violence. tourists that just got robbed of a wallet, must be in the hundreds. Tourist is anyone visiting CABA ..! From wherever..!
All these places are less than 5 blocks from villas. Unfortunately tourists are unaware of this. Expats living in the city really should know where they are. Villas are very diverse, but as much as you can find immigrants, workers, etc they also host dealers and criminals. There is a villa in Puerto Madero ( Rodrigo Bueno ), Recoleta and Plaza San Martin are right next to Villa 31 and San Telmo is right next to Constitucion ( the most dangerous area in the city along with La Boca - Villa 21-24 ). Villa 31 goes all the way from Retiro to well past Law School UBA on Figueroa Alcorta ( almost until Paso Alcorta mall ). It is known by most locals that the area is not good when empty... my own borther was mugged and robbed right there 30 years ago and left barefoot... Be always aware of your surroundings. This might help https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anexo:Villas_de_emergencia_de_la_ciudad_de_Buenos_Aires

But for 2018 Palermo was the barrio with the most crimes reported. In that part of Recoleta there are a lot more people on the streets in the afternoon than on many smaller streets in Palermo, which, as I'm hearing, should be safer because it's not near a villa.

Ok. Before someone else says, it's true, Palermo is the largest of the caba neighborhoods, so per capita crime there is probably less, but it's a problem there as well, even though there is not a villa close by.

For 2019 the barrio with the most murders was Barracas, the one with the most violent and nonviolent robberies was Balvanera and the one with the most motochorro attacks was Caballito. The year before Palermo had had the greatest number of motochorro attacks. Puerto Madero was the safest neighborhood in 2019 for robberies and motochorro attacks.

Last edited:
But for 2018 Palermo was the barrio with the most crimes reported. In that part of Recoleta there are a lot more people on the streets in the afternoon than on many smaller streets in Palermo, which, as I'm hearing, should be safer because it's not near a villa.
Crime is a wide concept, typically the most violent crimes happen in areas closer to villas ( ie murder ) In Palermo you get motochorros that snatch purses, pick pocketers, trapitos the threaten you, it is just not the same.

Here you can see detailed information on homicides, motochorros, and robberies in the city by area https://www.infobae.com/sociedad/po...os-mas-y-menos-seguros-de-la-capital-federal/

Last edited:
Crime is a wide concept, typically the most violent crimes happen in areas closer to villas ( ie murder ) In Palermo you get motochorros that snatch purses, pick pocketers, trapitos the threaten you, it is just not the same.

Here you can see detailed information on homicides, motochorros, and robberies in the city by area https://www.infobae.com/sociedad/po...os-mas-y-menos-seguros-de-la-capital-federal/

Violent Crimes happen near the Villas, murder/injury..? Lesser Crimes Happen Everywhere! just Happens that when a Foreign tourist (english speaking?) is attacked we notice it, makes the news! . Tourists come to CABA from abroad and from Other Local Cities ..! an old lady from Lujan that was mugged rarely makes the news?

Motochorros in Palermo can cause serious Harm if armed, So its the same danger..!

Pointing out, the villas, in the Media, as source of violent Crime would generate a major Uproar by different City Groups..!

By re reading the article about the Australian tourist, it says that he resisted the robbery ( big mistake imho ). Motochorros usually hurt their victims when they hold on to their belongings as they speed to flee away, there are also some that go armed, but in general those are the ones after big $$$ ( salideras from banks, etc )

And all this free advice, is hardly followed as I just saw a quick snatch 'n grab in Calle Guemes y bulnes .....tourists leaving the Bulnes Eco suites ....

By re reading the article about the Australian tourist, it says that he resisted the robbery ( big mistake imho ). Motochorros usually hurt their victims when they hold on to their belongings as they speed to flee away, there are also some that go armed, but in general those are the ones after big $$$ ( salideras from banks, etc )

I see in the news OFTEN ladies that get dragged by Motochorros ,on the pavement to , and kicked to get a hold of their purses.Just a local incident , perhaps not reported.

And all this free advice, is hardly followed as I just saw a quick snatch 'n grab in Calle Guemes y bulnes .....tourists leaving the Bulnes Eco suites ....
OMG my favorite corner cafe in Palermo..! , sure this minor incident will not be reported, well new arrivals are not prepared for the risks in BA .
streets..!
All valuables should be carried in the jeans front pockets..! My advise.

Back