Authorized to Buy Dollars! Not Really?

Desde2008

Registered
I am an expat that can legally buy dollars before I travel. We went through the whole AFIP process to get this authorization. Of course, I can only have as many dollars as they determine, but that is another story. So for the last 3 days I have been going to my local Santander Rio and they tell me each time that this activity has been suspended for all Santander Rio banks. Now the news is saying that you can only buy the authorized dollars 24 hours before you travel.

There is only one real exchange rate for dollars now and that is the black market rate unless you want to spend countless hours at the bank and AFIP only to be left with a hope and a prayer they will allow you to have these government hoarded dollars.

Exact same thing happen to a friend´s mom the other day....I think it is complete bullshit that someone goes through the whole process of getting approved, spends a few hours at the bank, and still can´t buy dollars!!!!!

Ditto.
Same here. My wife is an accountant and she did all the afip bullshit for a couple of her clients for some measly amount of green folding. They were approved and ran along to their respective banks to bag the dosh only to discover that they had the approval withdrawn.
And get this....no reason was given to them.
How to shit on people from a great height.

Yep. Same thing happening to my in-laws and a few friends that have upcoming trips coming up. What a sham.

Cordobese said:
Exact same thing happen to a friend´s mom the other day....I think it is complete bullshit that someone goes through the whole process of getting approved, spends a few hours at the bank, and still can´t buy dollars!!!!!

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode and the Soup Nazi! No Dollars for you! NEXT!!!

earlyretirement said:
Yep. Same thing happening to my in-laws and a few friends that have upcoming trips coming up. What a sham.

I wonder if this uncertainty in obtaining dollars will discourage people from hoarding dollars. NOT!!! At least with the black market dollars you do not have someone telling you how many dollars you can buy or when you can buy the dollars.

Desde2008 said:
Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode and the Soup Nazi! No Dollars for you! NEXT!!!

Hahahah....................It is actually so much like that episode!

Bienvenido al mundo loco Argentino

Off with their heads, eh Cris?

We always get the government we deserve.

Esta noche me voy al norte. Chau. Nunca mas.

Back