pandulf.ironhead said:

they serve beer at the 3D IMAX so you can get all sauced up and harass the women around you ;-)))

I saw it in Toronto when I was there over the holidays. Kinda reminded me of Pocahontas. :D

I didn't see it in IMAX because it was sold out for 3days in advance! And that's on all 7 IMAX screens! (IMAX is from Canada)

I'd love to catch it here on IMAX but it was also sold-out Thursday & Friday.

It reminded you of Pocahontas? Really?

epic-fail-avatar-plot-fail.jpg

Definitely a great movie, no mater how cliché or classic storyline it may have. The uniqueness of the Na'vi's, environment, animals, culture, language its hard work and I'm glad this movie is a success. 2012 is the worst movie I've seen in a long time, it should deserve harsher criticism than Avatar.

I thought there were some obvious cliches. Including being chockfull of "green = good, military and business = evil". Existing indigenous race taken advantage of by said evil business/military concerns.

Of course, there are no completely original stories in the world. Pocahontas stories, both real-life and instructional, have been retold for millenia, without a doubt. Good vs evil in whichever culture produces the stories will be told and retold.

However, the special effects were absolutely spectacular. The story was decently developed. Nothing really stupid or unexplainable happened (although remember - science fiction requires a certain amount of suspencion of disbelief - but good science fiction makes that easy by not being obviously idiotic). It showed reasonably well some things to be cautious about as man moves off his home world and starts to explore, possibly interacting with other cultures/intelligences (which is one fo the central themes of real science fiction, as opposed to most of "popular" science fiction seen on the screen). It makes a good use of science in many places, having done much better than most "science fiction" movies, which are usually really terror movies set in space instead of on Earth. The only real problem I have with the science in the movie (that I can remember) were the floating mountains. I can't really imagine anything natural, within the bounds of physics, that could account for that.

Spectacular movie. Anyone who says that it sucked really ought to make their reasons known, in my opinion.

And Maikito, I completely agree with you about 2012. For me, there was no possibility of suspencion of disbelief with that movie. I'll grant the effects were good, but that is a prime example where someone tries to take too many different myths and suppositions, completely throws science out the window, makes up stuff that just can't happen in any real world and doesn't really have a story behind it.

I thought there were some obvious cliches
Not some, it is almost only cliches! If I was an aborigene of Southamerica, I would be mad! What a farse! I just can't believe it has 9 Oscar nominations...well, probably I now know why.

Why didn't the army attack right away if they had such an overwhelming power ? (as was very evident when they did decide to attack).

I am not sure about this one, but I think at some point the humans were able to walk around with masks without feeling as unease as General Petreaus was feeling in the end when fighting against la chica and el chico.

Strip the movie from those special effects, explosions and other rubbish...and you've got nothing. All that innecessary violence for what? Then someone is attacked in the subway by a gang of bored teenagers or shot by a wannabee John Rambo and everyone wonders how could that happen.
And if they wanted to tell the World how the "civilization" is destroying the Planet, they should have spent the money better! Because for sure the making and displaying of the movie caused already a lot of harm to the poor Earth (just imagine the resources and energy used to produce that farse!).

Back