jp said:
I'm at a loss why anyone cares what sex or gender the 10 foot blue aliens were.

I'm guessing you are hetrosexual? Of course you wouldn't care, as long as you are watching a hetrosexual. Pretty sure if the tables were turned you would feel the same.

Why assume so much about me?

I enjoyed it for what it was - a pointless but visually spectacular exercise in CGI.

jp said:
Why assume so much about me?

I enjoyed it for what it was - a pointless but visually spectacular exercise in CGI.

Was a right though?

Yes on face value it might be seen as a pointless but viually spectacular exercise in CGI, but actually it is another film promoting the hetrosexual norm and holding back true sexual equality in our society.

There's a large growing undercurrent of "queer cinema", from more mainstream films like Milk and A Single Man to indie favorites like Humpday. These films are finding an audience of all sexual orientations, and this movement is growing, not shrinking.

Actually, in this topic, it's you who sounds closed-minded, and not the other way around.

Not at all, how am I closed minded? It just gets boring watching hetrosexual propaganda. An exciting film is ruined by boy meeting girl. I don´t want to watch purely about gay relationships, it just would be nice to see a mainstream film that included some well rounded homosexual characters.

Why should homosexuals be forced to watch low budget, indie films in some back street cinema? I guess that is a sign that homosexuality will never be fully tolerated by society.

well to get you more riled up... forget about just the typical hetero pairing, but as Dan Savage (love him!) pointed out on his podcast the other day -- James Cameron goes ahead and creates this entire planet, a supposedly advanced race of creatures that inhabit it, and a whole ecosystem that is completely in balance, and then boof! goes ahead with the One True Love idea where these bloody creatures mate for life with one and only one other person and stay together foever and ever and ever and basically imprint on each other.

this from a guy that has what? 4 divorces behind him? Science fiction for sure!

showtime cinemas belgrano has a 3D theatre also...and i saw avatar there...you can do a search for showtimecinemasbelgrano and get the times..it was offered in english and in spanish....i agree with above that the artwork and effects were what i liked...what was discordant to me was how the makers of the film seemed to be in love with ACTION/VIOLENCE scenes, while touting peace, love, and harmony....could have been me having too many expectations or being in a mood.....

syngirl said:
well to get you more riled up... forget about just the typical hetero pairing, but as Dan Savage (love him!) pointed out on his podcast the other day -- James Cameron goes ahead and creates this entire planet, a supposedly advanced race of creatures that inhabit it, and a whole ecosystem that is completely in balance, and then boof! goes ahead with the One True Love idea where these bloody creatures mate for life with one and only one other person and stay together foever and ever and ever and basically imprint on each other.

this from a guy that has what? 4 divorces behind him? Science fiction for sure!

Yes. Cameron is a big see you next Tuesday.

Complaining about the lack of a homosexual love arc in an story like Avatar, which is just CGI thrown on a story told many, many, many, many, many, many times before is like complaining about the lack of aliens in Brokeback Mountain, or that there's not a strong straight love arc in something like Shortbus. It's missing the point entirely.

And personally, this straight man will take "low budget, indie films in some back street cinema" over the giant blockbusters 9 times out of 10.

Back