Ba Cast Asks About Stereotypes, Prejudices...

All Australians ride kangaroos and catch crocodiles! Always a good laugh when you tell people we eat them both hahaha!!

I was asking basically because most of the people here are from very well known countries to argentine people (Austalia, Canada, US or Europe) and not from some lost country in Asia, which is the place of Argentina in these countries collective imagination.

I was asking basically because most of the people here are from very well known countries to argentine people (Austalia, Canada, US or Europe) and not from some lost country in Asia, which is the place of Argentina in these countries collective imagination.

It isn't.

For example, "Europe" isn't a country.

Do you like guns? How many guns do you own? Do you miss the desert? You don't look like a cowboy.

When I travelled I had that feeling. Its like Argentina (at least in my experience: Europe and the US) is like some country lost in Africa to us.

Once while back in Canada the girl at a store asked if I wanted to sign up for their credit card, I just said "no thanks, I don't live here" [thinking that would just shut down the conversation].

Of course she continued, "oh yeah, whereabouts do you live?"

"Buenos Aires."
[Blank face].

"Argentina"
[excited recognition] "OHHHH, wow that's in Europe, wow it must be so incredible to live in Europe!!!"

I just said, "yes, it is."

Coming up live in 10 minutes on www.radioledonline.com. We are going to read these comments, thanks!!

Back