Votes: 28 32.6%
  • Books or writing event

Votes: 18 20.9%
  • Well-known park or garden

Votes: 65 75.6%
  • None of the above

Votes: 9 10.5%

• Total voters
Asking an honest question here: Why exactly would webteam like to see more posts about culture? Trying to change the nature of the forum or something? Long-term residents of Buenos Aires tend to be very aware of the city's cultural offerings; it is probably one of the main things that attracted them to the city to begin with. Tourist books and web sites in many languages as well as the Buenos Aires city government and other Argentine publications and web sites have great information about the awesome things to do and see in the city. Walk down the street and you will stumble upon theaters, bars, cultural centers, you name it. Finding culture activities is one of the very few things in Buenos Aires that is EASY, hence the scarcity of posts. What is not always easy to understand is exchanging dollars, irregular immigration status, comparing private health insurance plans, etc. That's why there are so many posts of that nature.

With that said, I do appreciate the culture posts when they appear and this thread is already an interesting read that has me excited for my return, but when I am back in town I don't know that this particular web site will be my destination #1 for cultural activities...

I think the person named "DontMindMe" has a good point -- it is true these forums get pushed down quickly unless people keep reviving them constantly. Perhaps this is why the webmasters have decided to see how this topic would be approached in the forum. If high receptivity it would be easy enough for them to create some sort of a calendar posting many of the opportunities offered to all of us each day. IN this same thread was mentioned Usina del Arte which I cannot readily find for BA but did find for Mendoza. There is a plethora of free opportunities for all of us every day in this city so unlike living elsewhere in the world where the hand is out for money.. Even the "banos" are free here -- we are called the Paris of the South but our banos are free but not the ones in France or so many other countries as I have noticed in my worldwide travels in my long lifetime. I enjoy this forum and the free interchange of ideas too. Perhaps webteam will establish other things for us. I had a conversation with one of them on another issue. They were very fast to return an answer and explanation too. It is a good site. walter

Trying to change the nature of the forum or something?

Precisely

Walk down the street and you will stumble upon theaters, bars, cultural centers, you name it.

There are people who prefer to stumble upon things, and there are people who prefer to make informed decisions, often based on experiences of others.

You can not get information about current events from tourist books, evidently. Newspapers have a tendency to write reviews after the event is over. As to the websites, there is Agenda cultural from the BA government is consistently good, but there are so many events that it is overwhelming for a normal person. And it would be very helpful if fellow baexpats could write reviews about what they saw and what they liked.

There's a beer festival on May 26th more or less above the Hard Rock Cafe.

http://beerday.com.ar/

The thing is that it's more of an opportunity to learn about different types of beer and how to make beer than just a massive beef festival. It's AR$100/ticket and beer-wise that only gets you FIVE (5) 100ml tastings. That's basically about AR$66/porron. But there are also talks about beer & beer making, so it's almost more of a conference/convention than a "festival".

But there's that.

I enjoy the classical music offerings when I am in Buenos Aires. For anyone who is interested in classical music, there will be a free concert tomorrow(Wednesday, May 8) at 13:00 in the Teatro Gran Rex, Av. Corrientes 857. A Russian pianist will perform. It should be really good. If you want to get a decent seat I would recommend you get in line(no tickets needed) no later than 12:30PM. Here is the program:

IRINA DICHKOVSKAYA, piano

PROGRAMA

FRÉDÉRIC CHOPIN (1810-1849)
Fantasía en Fa menor, Op. 49
Nocturno en Re bemol mayor, Op. 27 nº2
Scherzo nº 2 en Si bemol menor, Op. 31

SERGEI RACHMANINOFF (1873-1943)
Étude-Tableaux en Mi bemol menor, Op. 39 nº 5
Preludio en Re mayor, Op. 23 nº 4
Preludio en Sol menor, Op. 23 nº 5
Preludio en Do sostenido menor, Op. 3 nº 2
Melodía en Mi mayor, Op. 3 nº 3
Momento musical en Mi menor, Op. 16 nº 4

For Classical Music Lovers.....!! The listing in the link shows all the concerts, Carmina Burana and Cattuli Carmine....!!

also Friday 10, May

[background=rgb(255, 255, 204)]Banda Sinfónica de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires (Dir: Lito Valle).[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 255, 204)]Obras de Charpentier, Schubert, Debussy, Smetana, Persichetti, Russell Bennett, Bizet.[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 255, 204)]Universidad Tecnológica Nacional - UTN (Medrano 951), 19.00 hs. Entrada libre y gratuita.[/background]

http://www.musicaclasicaymusicos.com/cartelera-de-conciertos.html

carmina_catulli-copia.jpg

It would be nice if we had a site where people posted events as there is something to do here every day.

This is an excellent idea - why not add something to the site here like a "What's going on Around BA" events calendar? If you want to make it more of a priority on the site, why not build it in? The calendar is not accessible and is more geared toward baexpats events like the picnic. Make one which is openly available to add any type of meetup or event, and which can drill down to comments or which can have their own forum thread attached.

Back