Baby Boomers in BA

steveinbsas said:
Stan, when will you get the point....it isn't just cost of the real estate, its also the utilities, insurance (including health care) and taxes, not to mention the need for a car and the lack of CULTURE (in spite of what hotyogateacher feels about BA). Then there's education (if you have children) and all the other stuff.

Why do you continue to compare "other areas" of the US to BA?

I wouldn't live in any of them.

Before you reply, please remember that the name of this website is BAexpats.

It's about life here....cheaper anywhere in the US notwithstanding.

Why do you persist?

I hope you pay this much attention to your wife.

I believe your comparison with the U.S. that the COL is lower there started the discussion. Just setting straight your incorrect statements.

Actually I have been to the USA 4 times and visit Australia also reguarly. The prices here now in 2009 are similar to most USA cities in all categories . I am talking rents, clothing, electronics which are vastly dearer in Argentina.

Sure mid level restaurants offer great value but most big ticket items are the same or dearer than other comparable cities.

I spend here actually more per month than I would in Australia for the same lifestyle . This is due to a combination of factors ie the weak australian dollar and deflation .

Saying all that I love Buenos Aires more today than ever before and would recommend it as a excellent place to retire or realocate.

Stanexpat said:
I believe your comparison with the U.S. that the COL is lower there started the discussion. Just setting straight your incorrect statements.

But you have not done so...at least regarding any US city that would compare with BA.

Nice try.

Well, not really....

Peri, I am in Seattle now and was in BA 3 weeks ago. Except for large electronic items BA is half the cost of Seattle for things like realestate, taxes, restaurants, normal cost of living.
Nancy

Stanexpat said:

In other words: Rubbish!!!!!

(though Seattle might indeed be considered a better place to live than BA by some)

Seattle must be a expensive city Nancy . Thank you for your up to date info

Stan, I respect that you have done the research in your neighborhood re house prices but... 35 miles outside of Atlanta is "Podunk Ga". It does not compare to property in one of the great cities of the world. How much are homes in a nice part of downtown Atlanta?NYC SF. Paris. Seattle?

Tom

Hey Nancy Girl,

I don't know about Seattle, because it's been years since I've been there and then only for vacation a few times, but household items here, whew!

pots and pans for example:
a set of cheap aluminum pots and pans (4), the "finest" "best brand" available in most common stores, that fall apart within 6 months $100(US) $40 at walmart
a set of really good pots and pans, imported from the states, same 4 pieces $1200 (US) - I could get the same items at Williams Sonoma for half the price

bathtub, finest quality available at the finest kitchen and bath store in the city, equal in price to the last one I bought at home, but made out of cheap, thin fibreglass, not the steel and enamel tub I purchased at home for the same price

workmanship - 1/4 the price at home, but you get what you pay for - we have to redo things over and over because the workers don't know how to build to the quality of construction we are used to and things break and fall apart before you ever even use them. in the end it's more expensive AND more stress

food - (San Diego is the 11th largest city in the US) and we pay, I've checked my credit card bills from home and compared them to my food costs here - exactly equal to what we were spending in San Diego per month for food and there the produce and meat and fish were more plentiful, fresher, we had more variety and more choices

Our electric bill here is estimated by our electrician for 2 people in a small apartment with basically the same lifestyle and appliances (because we brought most of them with us) will be around $500 pesos a month. My electric bill in SD was around $50 -75 a month

I have yet to find an item of clothing sold here that I would pay for or wear but much of what is at the malls is low quality and equal prices to what you get in the states, or more. Especially with the sales in the states right now. The only clothes I've bought since moving here I ordered on line, had sent to my friend's house and had her mail them to me and it was still cheaper than anything of anywhere near the same quality I could have found here, if I were willing to wear any of this stuff.

My neighbor, who is quite well to do and very pretty and classy, wears beautiful clothes, but she will admit she basically only shops when she travels.

Our apartment here, in a similar quality of neighborhood as the one we just sold in the states, will have cost us, when the remodel is finished, about $20K less than the one we sold, but it was twice the size as the one here...

The cities I've lived in that are more expensive in the states, LA and San Francisco, are also much nicer, much cleaner, much more convenient, have much more culture, better food, over all a better quality of life in general so it's worth the money.

In my opinion if you can live here and afford to spend 1/2 the year living elsewhere, you are in the best situation. To live here exclusively is expensive and hard, FOR ME.

Love you yoga sister.
When do you guys come back?
The yoga studio is on track to open in March.
I'm so excited! It will be great to see you in class and we'll get out and have that dinner when you are back. Stay warm and dry meanwhile...

Peace...

PS. Stan, I didn't mention that I am sure that property in "Podunk GA" are considerably less expensive than Palermo, Ricoletta, etc. Also, by Podink I really mean small town vs big major city. Nothing derogatory meant. But you really need to compare like to like.
Tom

Seattle is expensive, like All the major cities in the US and Europe. BA is cheap even though prices have gone up since 2002, it is still CHEAP.
Nancy

Back