Baby Boomers in BA

The new Kindle, I heard from hubby, lets you download the books to your computer than you can get them on a UBS stick to transfer. He is excited about that feature, because most the time we download the books as we are flying through the States.
Getting books sent to you via Amazon isn't difficult either.

I have the old Kindle, and I understand that the major defect in the original -- having a page turn tab running almost the entire length of the right side, causing much unintended page flipping -- has been fixed on the new model.

i don't know why anyone would take the extra step of downloading to the computer, then onto a USB stick, then into the Kindle, when the patch cord that comes with the Kindle allows for a direct and speedy transfer directly to the Kindle from the computer.

Because you don't have to be in the States to download the books now. But you still can't do it the "normal" way.
We have the original Kindle. I am now getting use to it.

We regularly find good English books here. You just have to dig. There is no Barnes and Noble. There is a book store in San Telmo (tortoise?) where they sell lots of used English books fairly cheap and some new items. Most standard bookstores have an English section but they are quite expensive ($20 - 60 for a paperback) and there isn't a good selection. They usually have some Spanish speaking authors who've been translated (Marquez for example) and a lot of Agathie Christie for some reason. The used book stands in the center of Ave Santa Fe always have English books and though there are only 10 or so per stand going through the different stands is fun looking for that one good find.

We are hosting a book swap in March at our apartment. We'll likely end up with 30-50 people who each 2 or more books and we'll have a base of 10 or so here. It will be a chance for people to pick up some new books, talk about books and get some new ones, share some of their favorites.

Peace...

So..there was talk about electric price. We just got our bill today for a 3,500 sq meter house....$1,574 pesos of course that includes running 5 A/C units, two frigs, and three computers. Our neighbor who was in a smaller house...$2,500 pesos. Her landlord makes her run AC all the time.

HYT: Let me know about the book exchange. Good Luck Victoria!

We run our AC a lot, when it's hot and humid, which of course isn't all year long, but them for us, being from the southern west coast, it's cold here in the winter and the heaters, also electric, will be on the when the AC isn't. We also have 2 computers, a big screen TV a large fridge, a washer and dryer (even with high electric costs this is cheaper than using the laundry even if you don't count lost or ruined items) and my boyfriend is an artist so likes lots of light.

We lived the same way at home, though in San Diego electricity was cheaper. Here, our architects explained, as at home, there is a baseline of kilowatt usage that every household is given. Once you go above that baseline - which wont support 1 air conditioner, let alone 5 - then you pay the higher price. In the states it shows up on your bill as 2 separate things and I'll assume it does here too. If you live alone and are pretty frugal and don't run AC you probably won't top it.

We have no gas in our space, the lines don't come up to our floor. Our water heater is electric and so is our stove top and the heat so we're 100% electric. There is no way we'll be below baseline...

Good info. Thanks for sharing.
Peace...

criswkh said:
So..there was talk about electric price. We just got our bill today for a 3,500 sq meter house....$1,574 pesos of course that includes running 5 A/C units, two frigs, and three computers. Our neighbor who was in a smaller house...$2,500 pesos. Her landlord makes her run AC all the time.

Out of interest, what size really is your house?

criswkh said:

My guess is that you meant Sq Feet not meters above. Sounds like electric bills are getting close to real cost i.e. minus government subsidies.

HotYogaTeacher said:
When talking to someone who is moving here NOW it is not useful to say what a home cost 2 years ago.

Sure it is.

If you are in the market and you know what BA apartments sold for two years ago, you can see if there has been an increase in prices or if the "correction" that some expect has already begun. Of course it is important to compare similar apartments within the same barrio and consider the age of the building as well as the the amenities. A recycled 70 meter apartment in Recoleta for $125,000 would have been a great value two years ago and still is today, while one in El Centro that needed a rehab for the same price would be overpriced by comparrison.

I seriously doubt that ANY properties in BA are listed at or actually selling for less than they did two years ago. If you have the numbers you can do the math. Anyone "moving here now" is likely to get hosed if they don't know which way the market is going. What seems like a good deal to a recent newcomer may be considered outrageous to anyone who has studied the market and it's trends.

Even if prices are the same today as they were two years ago, that alone would reflect a correction (of sorts) in the face of 20% inflation. I've seen some apartments on the market now that are priced as much as 40% more than they were two years ago ( in particular, a few of the smaller furnished ones in Recoleta). Those are the apartments I would expect to see price reductions in first, unless an unsuspecting foreigner comes along and "snaps" them up.

What you don't know can hurt you, especially when it comes to buying and remodeling property. Too many foreigners have come here and bought on impulse because it's was so much cheaper than the States, even in the past year. A little research might have saved them tens of thousands of dollars as well as put them in a position to sell out quickly if their dream of life in Argentina turned into a nightmare.

Steve you are right sq feet...I did the conversion to English forgot the units...
HYT- We actually have 7 AC units. I try to run only the bedroom..but hubby gets hot from riding the bus home from work. We don't have a dryer but a washing machine. Our stove is Gas along with the heat. We leave our lights on at night..in the front yard..like our neighbors. Luckily, we didn't the overtax due to usage..but the other person did get that tax. I think the overtax is fair. We got that one on our water bill once, because we had to refill our pool.

Back